Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Flame Boss 200 - Sweet Success

Ozzie_Isaac
Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,945
edited December 2015 in EggHead Forum
Summary:  FB200 is just like the FB100, except wifi.  Super simple to setup and use.  Just plain works.  If your network goes down it just reverts to a FB100.  No muss, no fuss.  If you are looking for a controller I highly recommend the Flame Boss units.  If you want wifi the FB200 is great.
------------------------------------------------

I had the opportunity to upgrade to a Flame Boss 200.  This has been an idea I have been kicking around for a while, but I had a real hard time pulling the trigger.  You see, my FB100 has been performing flawlessly, so why mess with success?  Well, sometimes deals just fall in your lap.

I bought my FB100 after seeing it at my dealers.  There was almost no information on the interwebs about it, so I decided to call the number on their website (it was a Saturday).  Guess what?  The owner @MichaelCollins answered the phone.  He spent 15 minutes answering my questions.  He was extremely pleasant to talk to.  Well, I went back to my dealer the same day and bought the FB100.  It was super easy to setup and worked great on both my Medium and my XL.  I even called back on Good Friday to ask a setup question and Michael answered again.  He walked me through a few menu setups that improved the performance for my setup.

So now onto the FB200.  It was super easy to swap my setup from the FB100 to the FB200.  It is the exact same size.  I removed the cables, removed the FB100 headunit and installed the FB200 headunit directly into my waterproof case.  Easy as that.

I recommend when you first set it up you do it inside your house near your computer.  That is not necessary, but you need to setup an account at "myflameboss.com" and input a an ID number and pin.  The menu on the screen walks you through everything.

I did have one scare.  It saw my network SSID right away and prompted me to put in my password.  That part was annoying. Scrolling through all the symbols to put in your password is no fun, but with the simple interface I don't see any other way to do it.  Luckily, it saves the code so you never have to enter it again.  Well, the FB200 would not connect to my network.  I just reworked my whole network last week so I was pretty worried.  I did some quick forum scans and @caliking mentioned it does not play well with a wireless-N setup.  I was pretty worried (my entire network is N).  I hate network setups and I was already running through options in my head.  First step was to unplug the unit and plug it back in.  Bam!  It worked.  It fired back up, booted, downloaded an update, installed the update and was off and running!  I was elated.

Next I brought the unit outside and set it up and on my MBGE.  Setup is just like the FB100.  I really like the clip on the pit temp sensor.  Some don't like the clips because it may not give as accurate of a reading as a probe suspended in the air, but I like the convenience.  I am cooking meat, not performing brain surgery.  I have never had any issues with the clip and given the choice between a probe and a clip, I would choose a clip.

Since I use the FB units on both my XL and medium I turn off the adaptive trims and just have it run in default settings.  I usually set my initial temp to 50 degrees below my final pit temp and then when it stabilizes I set my final temp.  You do not have to do this, but I have found it easier for me.  I unplugged and plugged it in a few times and it connected to my network without interference from me and went back to controlling my temps.  The first time it popped up with the menu option "WLAN Setup Y/N".  I selected Y, but then I goofed up and did not select my network.  I messed up my menu presses and selected my neighbors network.  I quickly went back to the menu and changed it to my network.  I was worried I would have to put in my passcode again, but it saved it.  That is a nice feature.

Now I have a small rack of spare ribs on for my first cook.  I will keep you updated as it progresses.  I am going over to @Jeepster47 's for dinner so I can keep an eye on my ribs from afar.

A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS

Comments

• Azbill
    Azbill Posts: 26
    Not to mention there customer service is top notch ! Had issue with one of the probes they responded promptly and had a new one within a couple of days no charge . No questions asked . 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited December 2015
    Monitoring the cook from @Jeepster47 's worked perfectly.  I was even able to see where I had left my smokeware cap a little too open and my temp climbed above my set point.  It did not go to high and the cook is moving along nicely. It is a good reminder to make sure all your vent settings are proper for a controller, i.e. you want about a 30% duty cycle to maintain temp.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Customer service/support and interface is tops for any controller.  Probes and controllers are not industrial strength so treat with care.
  • tcracing
    tcracing Posts: 378
    Question for you that use controllers. Do you close you lower vent and upper vent more than you would with no controller?
    George Foreman? Who? 
    Tim C. Panama City, Fl. 
    Large, Minimax-soon
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    tcracing said:
    Question for you that use controllers. Do you close you lower vent and upper vent more than you would with no controller?
    Yes, lower vent is completely closed snug up to the controller blower. Top is just barely cracked.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    tcracing said:
    The fan goes in the lower vent.  You want it sealed so only way air gets in is from the fan.

The top vent is closed more than normal.  You want the fan to force the air through.  If the fan died you would want the temp to drop.

Remember, all a controller can do is add air (heat up), it cannot drop the temp.  You need the system to be closed enough, that with no fan the fire would eventually go out.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited December 2015
    @tcracing look on my graph between the 6 and 7 on the x-axis.  The red line is pit temp, it is climbing above the blue line is which is set temp.  The green line is % fan usage.  The problem with my settings at that point was my exhaust.  It was to open.  I opened the lid, checked the ribs, closed it and left.  All the oxygen I added by looking, plus the open exhaust let the temp rise.  Notice the fan never ran but my temp rose.

The solution to that situation is to close down the exhaust more.  That is what I did near the 9 on the x-axis.  The temp stabilized properly.  Issue was my exhaust settings, not the controller.

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Thanks for the very detailed write up. Do you (or anyone else) have any advice regarding this vs the cyberq unit? @HofstraJet @MelSharples what did you guys decide?

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    @Jeepster47 has both a FB200 and a BBQ Guru, not the cyber q, but their non-wifi unit.
  • tcracing
    tcracing Posts: 378
    Thanks for the info.
    George Foreman? Who? 
    Tim C. Panama City, Fl. 
    Large, Minimax-soon
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Still playing around.  It has txt alarms.  I send the txt to a google number I have so I get a txt and an email if my pit temp waivers more than 20 degrees.  I can also set meat temp alarms.

Now I do not need a maverick for over night cooks.  Only one device for overnight. Loving this thing more and more ....

• blind99
    So can you set the unit via an app or web page?

i don't do overnights often but even long daytime cooks are hard with family obligations. I've got a couple of brisket cooks planned around the holidays and this would really help keep the peace with the boss. 

• Ozzie_Isaac
    blind99 said:
    So can you set the unit via an app or web page?

i don't do overnights often but even long daytime cooks are hard with family obligations. I've got a couple of brisket cooks planned around the holidays and this would really help keep the peace with the boss. 

You can set temps via the headunit, or on the webpage.  They have a very nice mobile webpage.  I have been using my phone, but also used a Macbook and a PC just to verify they both work.

It is really simple and makes monitoring and adjusting from a distance very easy.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    The screen shots I've been posting are from my phone.  You do not have to be on the same wifi network.
  • swordsmn
    swordsmn Posts: 683
    I recommend buying it with the pit viper fan vrs their default fan.  I hear its an option.
    one thread suggested their default fan was subject to admitting more air than needed during gusty days.  Just something I read in another post here.   I have the cyberQ and since the FB unit uses a website to display the cook, its easier to monitor your cook during a quick trip to the store.  With my cyberq, I'd need to setup port fwd'ing which is a pita with a comcast modem/router  and separate wifi router downstream.  So my next unit may be the fb200 with the sasil (smart azz son in law) getting the cyberq.   Both very good units..  I will say the ol cyberq  has performed very well for this temperature challenged 59 year old.   If you don't care about monitoring away from your wifi, i think they are a toss up if you get the pitviper fan with the fb.   My two cents.  
    LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Interesting idea about the pit viper!  The FB fan is a plain fan from a computer, just like the pit viper, but it does not have the fancy fan cover and billet end with finer adjustments and better sealing of the pit viper.  I love the pit viper setup, but my FB setup has never let me down.

Here are my ribs I used as sacraficial lambs for this trial.  They turned out great.  Super easy cook 

• Ozzie_Isaac
    @swordsmn the FB fan comes with adapters for every egg.  The pit viper may not.
  • swordsmn
    edited December 2015
    Good point @Ozzie_Isaac.  Someone here  bought a FB from their site and they were able to substitute the viper. Not sure if they paid more $$.   If someone wanted to do the same, I'd urge a call to the FB folks and discuss the needed adapter(s).  Bbqguru would gladly sell extra adapters too.

i didn't mean to poop on the default fan, it was just something I read once and thought I'd mention the possibility.  
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    There is no need for the Pit Viper fan, unless you want to spend a bunch of money just to have one......you'll need the fan plus the adapter.  If you already have a set from an older Guru unit, then you can maybe just buy the unit and probes.

The wind causes more or an issue causing a draw on the chimney cap than it would the stock fan.  Plus, the Pit Viper is a higher CFM than the stock fan which could throw off the algorithm of the unit.  The fans look a lot alike, the Guru one just has stainless around it. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Another nice thing about the FB fan is if it dies it is simple and cheap to replace.  Two screws and a $15 computer fan and you are back in business.
  • swordsmn
    edited December 2015
    Ok, I retract my suggestion..  It was a guy here who claimed there was not as much baffling in higher winds.  If the FBoss's fan is as loved as it apparently is , go for it.    I like that the data is visible/adjustable on a Flameboss webpage and you don't have to putz with port fwd'ing to "see/controll" ur unit  like you do on the  cyberQ to view away from your home wifi.   If you are content with viewing only in wifi range I think they r very similar.  To me that is why I'll look hard at FB200 if my son in law gets my cyberq
  • blind99
    @swordsmn I agree I would like to avoid port forwarding. Home networking is such a hassle and mine is already a wreck!  I hope the unit will get wifi outside.

• swordsmn
    Does your phone/tablet see wifi at your BGE location?  A good but not guaranteed test.  See how many bars you get..  
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I've been pretty happy with mine. A few minor issues but their customer service was stellar. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • blind99
    @swordsmn good call. I took the phone outside by the egg and it was spotty. Went to bestbuy and picked up a new router. 30 minutes of swearing later I got it running and now have better internet all over the house and more importantly by the egg!

Santa please bring me a flame boss 200! 
  • @stlcharcoal sold me two FB200 units for less than I found anywhere.  And @MichaelCollins stands behind his product 100%.  Best web/mobile interface of any BBQ controller.  @Ozzie_Isaac great post.  I agree this is the best controller available.
  • sctdg
    sctdg Posts: 301
    edited December 2015
    I use an Auber control ,blower motor has damper that opens automatically when running and closes when motor turns off .I was using it on an Acorn before getting my Large BGE 1 1/2 years ago . Had problem maintaining steady temp on egg with controller and using Smokeware Cap .Found that closing Smokeware to thickness of a dime , cured problems ,fluctuates +/- 3 degrees .No problem with wind because of Damper in blower . BUT I am still thinking about Flameboss 200 so I can eliminate Maverick 732 from gadgets when cooking and I spoke to Mr .Flameboss himself one day and he sounds like a really good guy .Extremely helpful .Just waiting to pull trigger, Girlfriend is looking for a Christmas present for me and I think she will buy me main control unit and I can use Auber blower and buy probes .
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    edited December 2015
    My first controller was a Bubba Guru, thus I initially had some concerns about the lack of an adjustable bottom baffle.  However, experience with the FB200 has shown my concerns to be foolish.

Here's why I think it's not a problem.  The FB (and Guru) can only make the temperature go up by providing forced airflow ... it lacks any ability to lower the temp.  When the temp is below target, the FB turns the fan on and forces air into the egg to raise the temp.  Once the temp reaches target, the FB stops the fan.  That's the only temperature control trick it knows.

Cooling the temp down, when it's above target, is the function of the vent settings on the egg.  Theoretically, the vent(s) is/are adjusted so that the natural airflow will restrict the egg to your target temperature ... in practice the venting needs to restrict the natural airflow so that the temp ends up somewhat below target.  You can restrict the natural airflow via the top vent only with the FB just as easily as you can via the top vent and bottom baffle with the Guru.  With the FB, my top vent is closed a little more than it is when I'm running the Guru.

Here is a pork butt cook that took place on Saturday:

Woke up at 3:00 to start the cook and wasn't really awake.  I allowed too much lump to start burning before installing the FB ... thus, the 7 degree overshoot on startup.  The butt was thrown on at 4:00am and the lid closed until I checked looseness of the bone 12.5 hours later at 4:36pm.  I've been using the FB on this egg for about six months now, so know what vent setting is correct to achieve good temp control.

The lack of a dampener on the Flameboss blower is not an impediment to achieving good excellent temp control.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• blind99
    @Jeepster47 I love the graph. I'm very impressed how it keeps the temp so stable. Do you have a picture of the top vent settings you could post?