Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temperature Controllers in Cold Weather

Options
Has anyone used a temperature controller in freezing temperatures (0-20 degrees Fahrenheit)? Are the units capable of being outside for 12+ hours during a long cook? 

I live in North Dakota and have done a few cooks on my egg in these temps but I'm looking at getting a temp controller (Stoker, Flameboss 200, or CyberQ) but for 1/4 to 1/3 of the year the temps are cold around here. Has anyone that deals with these temps used one of these controllers successfully for awhile without problems? Thanks!
Newbie with LG BGE, learning one slow cook at a time! 

Comments

• bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I have used my original Flame Boss in Iowa Winter temps and it worked fine. There was a bit of moisture in the fan housing but it did not hinder operation during the cook as that version of controller never shuts the fan off completely. It ramps up and down in speed to maintain the cook temp. I believe the moisture build up is due to the high internal humidity of the Egg when cooking but am not sure about that. A controller that turns the fan off/on might be a different beast however as the fan might freeze while in the off mode. Hopefully someone with the Guru or other cycling type controller can give more info.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • I've had the CyberQ for a couple of years.  Used it on both a Weber kettle and XL Egg in cold temperatures in NJ.  Controller works fine.  As bettysnephew posted, moisture does gather in the fan housing when used with the Egg due to the Egg's moist cooking environment.  Just install the fan on its side (up and down) so moisture doesn't freeze in the fan.  I highly endorse the CyberQ for winter cooks.  It's nice to be inside (overnight) or out and about while checking and controlling temps.
    South Jersey / XL Egg
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Used a Babba Guru all last winter with temps below 20 degrees ... no problems ... well, except for the moisture dripping on the concrete off the egg door.  Turn the fan, as has already been mentioned, on it's side so that any condensation will run out.

This winter I'm using a FB200.  The temps last night only sank to 24 degrees, but again, no problems with the Flameboss either.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Used a Babba Guru all last winter with temps below 20 degrees ... no problems ... well, except for the moisture dripping on the concrete off the egg door.  Turn the fan, as has already been mentioned, on it's side so that any condensation will run out.

This winter I'm using a FB200.  The temps last night only sank to 24 degrees, but again, no problems with the Flameboss either.
    Good tip @jeepster. There definitely will be moisture and it is possible to get an ice bead that will stop the fan. Orienting the fan so the moisture can escape is a good tip. However, if the fan quits working just take it inside for a moment and use a pen or paper clip to free it. I do realize that if this happens in an overnighter, it kinda defeats the purpose of using the device. Go with Toms tip!
  • nathanenderle
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the comments! Now the tough part...decide between the Flame Boss 200, the CyberQ or the Wifi Stoker...decisions, decisions...
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    Before you decide, drop a line to @stlcharcoal, get his phone number, and talk with him.  You won't regret it.

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited December 2015
    Options
    The only issues I've ever had in extreme temps are the screens.  In the cold, the screens washout and are slow to update/change.  It the extreme heat, they're can be all black and hard to read.  The good news is that you can read everything from your computer, so who needs the screen *if* does get a little "wonky."  I haven't used my FB200 in the cold.  Did fine all summer in the heat though.  I've used my IQ110 & IQ120 in the extreme temps--no issues.  Do give me a call though, will give you the rundown on all three.  Will PM the digits.
  • hoofaloos
    Options
    I've used a digiQ overnight in temps upwards of -20°. No problems whatsoever. I would recommend covering the digital portion of the unit. I used a gallon sized ziplock so that I could see the screen. Fastened with rubber bands at the base. 
    XLBGE- Napa, CA by way of ATX

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited December 2015
    Options
    DigiQ, so far zero issues.  Haven't experienced moisture buildup, but I have the fan positioned with the cable end down. 
    Use a Ziplok plastic container with a hole cut in the side to run the cables through. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    Used the Stoker in the upper 20s with no issue. 
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    I use this crazy thing called the daisy wheel. Hasn't frozen up yet 
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    I use a cyber q with a pit viper. My fan froze up once because of condensation. Keep the fan perpendicular to the ground keeping the fan higher than the output, that keeps the liquid from building up, and put a small cardboard box around it for overnights, It's own heat keeps it from freezing.
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    Luddite?

• pgprescott
    Options
    Come on, the daisy wheel is the first thing to freeze up. Sometimes I have to knock it loose with the ash tool. Once it's loose and lit, no problem.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    Auber Instruments controller starts to go crazy in the low teens. I wrap the pid inside a towel and chugs along just fine when wrapped 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • pgprescott
    Options
    Come on, the daisy wheel is the first thing to freeze up. Sometimes I have to knock it loose with the ash tool. Once it's loose and lit, no problem.
    I kid I kid. 
  • nathanenderle
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for the comments. A FlameBoss 200 is on it's way! Get prepared for mouth-watering pictures... :)
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I used the BBQ GURU II, over the weekend for low and slow. Ambient Temps were sub 30's F. Performed like a champ. Pit kept at 225F dome at 250F. No deviation once dialed in.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    I have a solution to all of these problems... Move to south Florida ... But then move back for summer.... Some call it snow bird... I call it pure genius
  • nathanenderle
    Options
    slovelad said:
    I have a solution to all of these problems... Move to south Florida ... But then move back for summer.... Some call it snow bird... I call it pure genius
    If I can figure out a job that'll let me do it....I'm down :) Especially before my kids are in school!
  • nathanenderle
    Options
    Is the FB200 capable of 450 degrees? Is that the limit? Was thinking of doing pizza at 425 and just really want to use it  :s Although I might be able to put it off and be patient for a future cook.
  • pgprescott
    Options
    Is the FB200 capable of 450 degrees? Is that the limit? Was thinking of doing pizza at 425 and just really want to use it  :s Although I might be able to put it off and be patient for a future cook.
    I wouldn't use any of the controller probes over 300. I know they can take more, but why? I gues if you want smokin hot, just leave the probe outside and the fan will blow, thinking it needs air?
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    @nathanenderle don't break the new toy!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • nathanenderle
    Options
    Ipgprescott said:
    I wouldn't use any of the controller probes over 300. I know they can take more, but why? I gues if you want smokin hot, just leave the probe outside and the fan will blow, thinking it needs air?
    I was just wanting to use it to get the grill up to and control that temp to use the thing. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Nathan, the whole point of one of these things is to hold a low and slow cook temp for a long period of time, i.e. overnight. They are not intended, or NEEDED, to maintain a high temp for a short duration cook. 

This is one of the reasons many recommend learning to control temps manually before considering such a crutch. If you bought a controller to reach and hold high temps for short periods, you might want to see if you can return it for a refund. It is simply not needed.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• nathanenderle
    nathanenderle Posts: 43
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I fully plan to use it for low and slow cooks with the peace of mind of knowing where it's at while I'm at work or sleeping. When researching the different controllers I noticed that some temp controllers mentioned high temp probes and such. This was merely a question of whether it could be used for something like this or not, (I'm in ND so standing outside with a beer watching the thing heat up, isn't going to happen very often for 6 months of the year due to winter).
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options

yo, Tom...didn't you grab the wrong photo link? That looks like you were frying an egg on the concrete instead of cooking in -20 cold.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    Use the FB200 to bring the egg up to 250 degrees to simulate a low-n-slow ... that will be a good dry run with no pressure.  Once you're comfortable with it, then pull the electronics and fire the egg up the rest of the way for a pizza cook.

• Jeepster47
    Options
    RRP said:
    yo, Tom...didn't you grab the wrong photo link? That looks like you were frying an egg on the concrete instead of cooking in -20 cold.
    Nope, it was one of those brass balls off a monkey days with no snow in sight.

Which brings me to a question.  Has anyone drilled a small drain hole in the bottom grove of the stainless steel door guide?  On low-n-slows the bottom grove fills with moisture and runs over like my picture shows.  If you forget to soak up the moisture in the bottom groove, when shutting the egg down, it has a tendency of freezing the door and screen closed.

• nathanenderle
    Options
    Use the FB200 to bring the egg up to 250 degrees to simulate a low-n-slow ... that will be a good dry run with no pressure.  Once you're comfortable with it, then pull the electronics and fire the egg up the rest of the way for a pizza cook.
    Thanks Jeepster. I did without today. If the weather holds tomorrow I'll do some chicken breasts low and slow or a sirloin tip roast that was cheap today.