Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maverick question

Options

I have a Maverick 732 that seems to be having problems. For my TDay turkey breast cook, within just a few minutes of putting the breast on the BGE I noticed that the food temp was showing something like 140.  Yikes!  I thought maybe I'd poked through the meat into the cavity, so I repositioned the probe.  Similar reading. Fortunately, I had another thermometer that I was able to use to monitor the cooking, although not remotely.

I had previously replaced the food probe.  The current food probe is maybe 6 months old.  The unit itself is almost 2 years old. I am very cautious when I wash the probes.  Don't use it for high-temp pizza-type cooks.  In trying to diagnose the issue, I've swapped the food probe with the BBQ probe.  Seems like the reading should follow the probes, but that's not what I'm finding. For example, this morning fresh out of the drawer, the food probe read 72, the BBQ read 68.  Swap the probes, and I would have expected the food to show 68 and the BBQ 72.  (actually, I would EXPECT both temps to be the same, but I digress)  After the swap, the sensor that was plugged in to the 'food' side was reading a couple degrees higher than the other one.

Could it be that the Maverick unit itself is flakey?  Granted a couple degrees at room temperature doesn't sound like much of an issue, but on TDay, the bird must have been about 50 degrees when it was reading 140.  THAT's hard to work with.

Large (sometimes wish it were an XL) in KS

Comments