Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

picked up a new eggcessory,,,

Options
Picked up a half moon griddle for my large. I'm thinking of using it for bacon and eggs, pancakes, some sammies. What else has anyone done with it?? Looking for my suggestions. Also do you just put it on the grate or what other set up have you used??
Thanks everyone.
Large, small, and a mini

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    Must admit I've never used my CI griddle for eggs, bacon or flapjacks - found the heat too hard to regulate. The gas powered flat top does that duty. 
    Have used the griddle for searing, veggies, burgers and even minin pizzas. Great for mushrooms - 'cause the egg was already hot for steaks. Brats and all sausage can be browned after beer bath.  
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Possibilities are endless.  
    For CI griddle use on the egg I go with one setup, raised direct with a nice preheat.  And two general IR temps, 500s and 300s  

Have learned that white hot CI is not necessary to sear.  And by experience, warping, cracking, and reseasoning CI sucks.  Keeping the iron higher up helps minimize this, and gives you more control.  I have a Baking Steel if I want a Hell's griddle sear.  Or I go caveman, directly on the coals.

An IR gun is handy.  For high heat sears, 500 is plenty hot.  And lower medium heat for eggs and bacon for a longer render, 200-300.  Cook the bacon first, during the preheat after the smoke clears.  Use the grease for eggs.  And if you do eggs, get some egg rings.  I like the 4 inchers, the 3s just sit around.  Cheap, work great.  A thin, flexing spatula helps too.  I have a paper thin Ekco vintage spatula that is awesome for this. 

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• smokesniffer
    Options
    Thanks @ Skiddymarker and @ Focker. Keep the ideas coming please.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @Focker ... in your picture it looks like the griddle is not at the felt line but raise above it.  Yes/No?

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I've used mine to grill onions and burgers. Took thick sliced onion and grilled them in oil  and butter and drizzled balsamic on when nearly done. Seared burgers on there as a change of pace from direct grilling them. Nice crust!  You could do any protein and get a really good full contact sear. 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Someone on here has two of them and makes a panini press out of them. Ridge side to the Sammiches on each one. Pretty cool. 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited December 2015
    Options
    @Focker ... in your picture it looks like the griddle is not at the felt line but raise above it.  Yes/No?
    That pic looks like AR, griddle on top grid.....raised direct.  Felt line is fine, have done that as well. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."