Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Time Brisket - Going Big (and hopefully not home)

Options
HofstraJet
HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
edited December 2015 in EggHead Forum
I bought an SRF Gold brisket during the August sale to cook once I had practiced a few times. Well, life got busy and I never got a chance to make a cheap brisket and now I'm hosting dinner Saturday and everyone wants brisket so I am going to make my first brisket ever with my 16.6# SRF Gold brisket on a large egg. I just put it in the refrigerator to defrost. Dinner is Saturday evening so I think I need to start Friday night. Will review all of my bookmarked brisket threads and watch the AF videos later but wanted to put this out there for any other advice that folks are willing to share. Specifically, I don't recall seeing advice on trimming the brisket before cooking so that would be helpful. Thanks!

Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
Twitter: @ Bags
Blog: TheJetsFan.com

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Trim it like you would trim any other brisket.  Watch the first brisket episode from AF on YouTube to get a reminder.  

Should be an amazing evening for your guests!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Webass
    Webass Posts: 259
    Options

First couple of briskets I did I set up my laptop on the kitchen counter and watched this Franklin video.  He'd do a little trimming, I'd hit pause and do what he did, then hit play again.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmTzdMHu5KU

Lenoir City, TN -  Bama fan in Tenn Vol's backyard. 

LBGE, Weber Spirit 

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I bought an SRF Gold brisket during the August sale to cook once I had practiced a few times. Well, life got busy and I never got a chance to make a cheap brisket and now I'm hosting dinner Saturday and everyone wants brisket so I am going to make my first brisket ever with my 16.6# SRF Gold brisket on a large egg. I just put it in the refrigerator to defrost. Dinner is Saturday evening so I think I need to start Friday night. Will review all of my bookmarked brisket threads and watch the AF videos later but wanted to put this out there for any other advice that folks are willing to share. Specifically, I don't recall seeing advice on trimming the brisket before cooking so that would be helpful. Thanks!
    All the best with your cook....and with Alabama. You have your work cut out for you on the second task. Will be looking for some pictures along the way.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Here is Aaron Franklin offering a slightly different take and approach on trimming. Listen carefully when he starts speaking about the "imaginary line". Hope this link works. If it doesn't, I will try again.  

https://youtu.be/yaMgt1Altys

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited December 2015
    Options
    You'll do fine.   The SRF briskets are more forgiving than leaner subprimals.

Focus on cooking the flat.  Don't worry about the point at all.  Right when the flat is done - tender everywhere - pull it off and let it cool and on a rack for 20-30 minutes, then you can wrap in some paper or throw a towel over it until you're ready to serve.  Extended times, put in a cooler.  

They are actually very easy if you focus on the flat.  Ignore meat temperature - it just tells you when you're in the ballpark and SRF brisket can finish at a lower temp.
    Options
    Excellent tutorial @SGH - thank you.

Much more of a precision process than I have been using.  SRF is my next brisket cook and will receive a precision trimming.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,383
    Options
    @SGH- here you go again...just when the AF "The Brisket" video is good enough-you post the college lab surgical version.  Now everyone will be out buying AF sponsored hair-nets as well.  ;) 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    I know my wife and friends will be secretly fascinated when I make them listen to a 15 minute speech about how I trimmed the brisket before I let them eat.   =)
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Probe early. My SRF gold probed like butta in the high 170's a couple weeks ago. 
  • SGH
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @SGH- here you go again...just when the AF "The Brisket" video is good enough-you post the college lab surgical version.  Now everyone will be out buying AF sponsored hair-nets as well.  ;) 
    The hair nets are part of the brisket secret ;) 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• lousubcap
    edited December 2015
    Options
    @SGH -That definitely explains my shortcomings.  I don't use a hair net as I don't have the requisite hair to net.  (I guess I could just wear it for the ambience. ) 
    Apologize for the partial hi-jack.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @SGH -That definitely explains my shortcomings.  I don't use a hair net as I don't have the requisite hair to net.  (I guess I could just wear it for the ambience. ) 
    Travel without all the hair care products.....= no checking baggage.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • SGH
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    You know, I always start out with the best of intentions but ultimately end up hi-jacking myself. My apologies as well to the OP. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    Here is the Thundergod offering another perspective on slicing as well. 

https://youtu.be/36-BOxajwyQ

Status- Standing by.

• Smoker317
    Options
    I hope you are completely thawed by Friday night, I would check the progress Thursday.  My 10-14 pound turkeys take about 8 days in my fridge, but my freezer is at negative 2 degrees.  I don't know if brisket thaws faster or not?
    Egghead since November 2014, XL-BGE & ET-732
    Smobot
    Living near Indy
    36" Blackstone
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it not being thawed all the way.  As long as the outside is thawed enough that your rub doesn't fall off it'll thaw while it's smoking.
    edited December 2015
    Options
    250-275 indirect with oak chunks until the internal temp reaches 203-206 between the flat and point. Also use a water pan and go fat side down. It's worked pretty well for me.
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    Peytonwat said:
    250-275 indirect with oak chunks until the internal temp reaches 203-206 between the flat and point. Also use a water pan and go fat side down. It's worked pretty well for me.
    You could be more than 20 degrees past that expensive SRF being done if you go to 203.

overwhelming evidence points to best practice being to start checking at 175 to 180 and to go by feel, not temp.
  • HofstraJet
    Options
    Checked on the brisket just now and it was still fairly frozen (flat was somewhat thawed, but point was hard as a rock). Put it in a tub in the sink with cold water to help move things along so that I can put the rub on tonight to start cooking tomorrow night/early Saturday morning for dinner Saturday evening.

Any rough estimates on how long this will take? I see anywhere from 0.7 - 1.5 hours/pound. This beast is 16.6# untrimmed, so let's say 16 trimmed. That's a range of 11 - 24 hours. Pretty big spread to plan for.

Any experience with SRF Gold briskets this size and cooking times? Dinner is around 7 PM Saturday. I would much rather have it done early and FTC than have guests waiting for it. I also plan to use butcher paper to keep things moist.

Thanks!
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
  • lousubcap
    edited December 2015
    Options
    No experience with SRF Gold, only black.  But for the last 3-4 of those cooks I have seen the 0.7 hrs/lb at a calibrated dome of around 270-280*F.  
    I know @SGH has a few runs with the gold and there are others here with the same cook.  
    Given the size I would get your BGE well stabilized Fri PM at around 240-250*F and toss it on around midnight-1 AM.  Then in the AM see where you are and go from there.  If you have a controller then run a little lower over-night.
    You can easily FTC for 7+ hours in an elcheapo cooler and who knows how long in a high end RTIC or Yeti.  FWIW-
  • HofstraJet
    Options
    Thanks. It's now thawed and I'm about to start trimming. Just rewatched the videos. Pics to come.

Any rub recommendations? I have a large assortment of the board's faves, so let me know what you recommend.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Anything you like.  Salt and pepper or Byrons Butt rub are what I usually use.  Oak for schmoke.
    Options
    Thanks. I checked and don't have oak in the collection (not sure how I overlooked that one). Was planning on hickory.
  • loveTheEgg
    Options
    Salt and pepper! Best rub in my opinion! Good luck!  The last gold I did about 2 months ago this is what I recorded. 

225 pit temp 
    14 hrs 40 mins to IT 188
    12.82lbs before trim 
    Not much trimmed off

Good luck! 
    Brandon, MS
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    That'll work.  Can be very smokey, don't overdo it.  Let the beef shine.
    Options
    I am also doing a Gold grade ~14lber tonight. Appreciate all the dialogue, tips and AF videos. I'll try to post some pics. 

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• HofstraJet
    Options
    Trimmed and sitting in fridge with Byron's Butt Rub. Going on the grill at midnight. Hope I trimmed it right.

• SGH
    Options
    The Brisket Gods are looking down with envious eyes my friend. 

Status- Standing by.

• HofstraJet
    Options
    Question I forgot to ask: should I use the AR or just put the BGE grid above PS/drip pan? If AR, how should I set it up? Thanks!  
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    You want to go indirect. If you have a stone to use with your AR to setup for indirect, either one will work. You want a drip pan with an air gap above the indirect barrier.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker