Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can you get two butts on a large, if show, how?

Options
Fearless Flatlander
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have cooked a bunch of butts, but as there are three of us and we have no social life (remember having no social life means you don't have to share)I only cook one butt at a time. I usally get the double butt pack at BJ's, cook one, freeze the other. I have the two butts and I have been positioning them on the my egg trying to figure out the best way to get them both cooked at the same time. Tried having them side by side on the grill, also tried the two level grill set up. Both of them seem kind of tight. Anyway what works out there? [p]Thanks for the help FF

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    30pounds.jpg
    <p />Fearless Flatlander,
    Side by side would be best. I wouldn't say they were tight in my large. They were about 8 pounds. Here's a photo of four butts, in fact....[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Fearless Flatlander
    Options
    The Naked Whiz, That looks like both ways to me. That is a nice load of pulled pork. I will try side by side first because I like to put one chunk of smoking wood on the coals at a time, when it is used up I lift the lid take out the grill and the drip pan then the place setter, sort of **** around with the coals and put on the next piece of wood then put everything back. Sounds like too much work, but i was the kid constantly poking the camp fire. [p]Thanks for the reply, and thanks for the things I have learned a your postings.[p]Fearless F.

• Unknown
    Options
    Fearless Flatlander,
    I have done 3 8-lbs at 1 time and had great results. They were tight but with 24hrs not a problem. I am still a firm believer in Eldon Ward's instructions for butts; ie. keep the lid closed. You will get plenty of smoke at low temps.

• Eggineer
    Eggineer Posts: 30
    Options
    Fearless Flatlander,
    I did three 8 pounders on a single rack yesterday. They were tight, about 1/2" between each butt and the dome was touching the meat when it was closed. They turned out fine. Follow TNW and Elder Ward's instructions. I have always been pleased. I tried a new rub this time and was disappointed. Elder Wards rub is perfect.