Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled pork for work potluck?

Options
What's the best way to do a pork butt for a work potluck? I can't leave work to get it and get to work around 7.

Comments

• slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    Throw it in there the night before. Do it turbo. At 325 or 350. For a 10 lb butt,  Put it on about 10pm Pull it around 5am or 6 am. Foil, towel, cooler. And don't pull it till you are ready to eat. Should hold penalty of heat until lunch if you have a good cooler 
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Pulled pork is no prob to reheat, do it a day or two before.  Vacuum pack is the best if you have it.  Or like @slovelad said do an overnighter and FTC, you can pull it at work and really impress.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    Options
    Ok I was thinking of ftc but wasn't sure if it would hold for 5 hours
  • Miked125
    Options
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    Miked125 said:
    Ok I was thinking of ftc but wasn't sure if it would hold for 5 hours
    It will if you have a decent cooler. If not, just make sure you put plenty of foil
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I always cook the day before.  

Chop or pull when done.  Apply a finishing sauce.  Then place in ziploc bags.  

Take a crock-pot and place pork in crock pot.  Add a little more finish sauce if desired, and place on warm or low feature.  

People will rave about it, trust me.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • jeroldharter
    Options
    slovelad said:
    Throw it in there the night before. Do it turbo. At 325 or 350. For a 10 lb butt,  Put it on about 10pm Pull it around 5am or 6 am. Foil, towel, cooler. And don't pull it till you are ready to eat. Should hold penalty of heat until lunch if you have a good cooler 
    +1. I smoke it until ~205 IT. Moist, falls apart. Don't pull the pork until ready to eat. Make some sauce and take some pickles.
  • Mud Pig
    Mud Pig Posts: 489
    Options
    I did one a while back for work. Instead of worrying about reheating it or cooking it a couple of days before I decided to use my crockpot. I put the butt on the egg at 8pm the night before the potluck. Pulled it off at 6am and wrapped it. When I got to work I cut it into large chunks and threw it in a crockpot that I brought with a bunch of apple juice, apple cider vinegar, and two big tbs of rub. Put it on highly for 3 hours and it was perfect once the potluck started.  A pair of tongs pulled it apart nicely. 
  • Miked125
    Options

Take a crock-pot and place pork in crock pot.  Add a little more finish sauce if desired, and place on warm or low feature.  

What type of sauce would you use?
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options

I have done the same without the sauce.  I reheated in a crock pot with a little chicken broth for liquid.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• tarheelmatt
    Options
    I use a Lexington, NC style style sauce mostly, then I'll thin it down a little more with apple cider vinegar for a finish sauce.  This is key as once you pull (or chop), and sits for any time, your meat can dry some.  This ensures that flavor is in all places.  

Simple sauce I use is: 

1 part ketchup 
    1 part apple cider vinegar
    1-2 parts water (depending on how loose you like)
    Brown or white sugar to taste (what ever you like)
    1-2 tablespoons butter (real butter)
    Juice of lemon
    salt and pepper to taste
    Red pepper flake to taste

This is simply a bases and you'll need to tailor to your liking.  I do all kinds of stuff to this to change it to how I feel or direction I want to take.

Not knocking the above guys, but timing to pull at the party will be stressful to coordinate.  I promise, you cook day before and process at night.  Lay the finish sauce to the Q, place in bags, then re-heat in crock-pot next day, you will not be disappointed.  I've done hundreds of pounds of Q this way for my work.  

Even got an award for it!  

Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options
    Wasn't there a lot of talk on here recently about a can of coke trick?
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    stompbox said:
    Wasn't there a lot of talk on here recently about a can of coke trick?
    Remember vaguely... There's all kinds of ways to skin a cat.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • hoofaloos
    Options
    Your FTC will easily hold for 5 hours
    XLBGE- Napa, CA by way of ATX

• Miked125
    Options
    CAN OF COKE TRICK? I LOVE COKE
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    Currently eating pulled pork that I did for my office potluck.  Started cooking last night at 5:00PM and it finished at 5:30 this morning.  Wrapped in about 3 layers of foil and two large beach towels.  Threw them in my cambro box and let them rest. 

Hauled it to work and let sit till about 10:30-11:00 when I pulled them and placed in a foil pan on a steam table.  Covered tightly with foil and let it keep warm in it own juices till time to chow down.  Popped the foil and its was still glistening with juices, no additives needed.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!