Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Your a#&

Comments

• apinion
    apinion Posts: 470
    edited December 2015
    I went and had one a few months ago at the age of 32.  My high protein diet has been linked to an increased risk for colon cancer.  Get your pooper checked!

All was good and nothing abnormal.  See you in another 10 years Mr. Bowel Prep.
    Louisianian by birth, Louisianian by death. Austinite for now...
  • As already mentioned, talk to your insurance company. The same thing happened to me. They just billed it incorrectly. They listed the polyp removal first then the procedure and tried to charge me over $1000. But when billed correctly it came out to about $85. They simply read the codes in the order they show on the bill.

And I took the sedation, I hate listening to Barry White so I took the nap
  • So Tony, what's the deal with no sedation?  Does it make you dizzy when you grab your ankles?
    Flint, Michigan

• @henapple started at 17. Just sayin"
    It isn't a problem until you start looking for a home unit so you can self perform the exam...

I think he has a drone.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    @henapple asked the doctor, "where do I put my pants?" Doctor said "right over there beside mine!"
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • For reasons you don't care about I've had at least 6 of these.  Wait until you get an endoscopy, you'll really enjoy that (looking down the track from the throat).  I do not recommend no sedation.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Davec433
    Davec433 Posts: 463
    edited December 2015
    I had one done a few months ago the worst part is the Moviprep you have to take prior. I woke up as they were finishing pulling the camera out.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Not looking forward to this! Bad enough getting a physical with Dr. MD knuckles deep!  Cancer Survivor so I've been told I may want to consider earlier than 50 screening. What a buzz kill. :minus_one: 

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    edited December 2015
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Not looking forward to this! Bad enough getting a physical with Dr. MD knuckles deep!  Cancer Survivor so I've been told I may want to consider earlier than 50 screening. What a buzz kill. :minus_one: 

Don't push back while they push forward...
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    I was told the first family diagnosis minus 5 years. Or 50 whichever comes first. My dad had prostate cancer at 65 so that means 50 for my prostate exam. And 50 for my colonoscopy. My buddy's dad had colon cancer at 40. Poor guy has been getting invaded for years now.  
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Been there, done that.  Dave Barry gets it right in this column.

"MoviPrep is a nuclear laxative. I don't want to be too graphic, here, but: Have you ever seen a space shuttle launch? This is pretty much the MoviPrep experience, with you as the shuttle. There are times when you wish the commode had a seat belt. You spend several hours pretty much confined to the bathroom, spurting violently. You eliminate everything. And then, when you figure you must be totally empty, you have to drink another liter of MoviPrep, at which point, as far as I can tell, your bowels travel into the future and start eliminating food that you have not even eaten yet."
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • For reasons you don't care about I've had at least 6 of these.  Wait until you get an endoscopy, you'll really enjoy that (looking down the track from the throat).  I do not recommend no sedation.

Doc, willing to bet that I've had more of those than you. Worst one was a test where the shoved the transducer hose in my nose and down to my stomach so they could spray water in my mouth to test the reaction of nerves and muscles.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    While we are on the subject then I'll jump in here about the ol' digit check for the prostate by Dr LONG FINGERS! Man-o-man I hated that semi-annual exam!!! But you know what? At age 57 I was diagnosed with prostate cancer. My Gleason score was 8.9 where a 10 means dead man walking. I opted for non-surgery. Here I am tonight at age 71, still kicking! As you get older then BEND OVER boys! It just might save your life like it did mine!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    Congrats @henapple for surfacing this procedure and the posts.  The prep is the most fun you can have on the throne  ;)  But get it done whenever your indicators say it's time.
    I have never gone " no sedation" but have always been awake for the last few minutes of the procedure and looks at the monitor-no further comment required or desired.  
    Have driven myself home after every one-following a brief thawing out period.  

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Braggart
    Braggart Posts: 238
    Firmly in the "had it done, recommend it highly" category.   Also suggest you ask for the "local" and watch the proceedings (like I did).  Extremely enlightening and oddly entertaining as strange as that sounds.

Can't say it was enjoyable, but the discomfort is not over-whelming.  And besides, when will you ever get a chance to look inside yourself again? 

The stuff that they can do these days is amazing.
    Large BGE
    MMax BGE
    Weber gasser
    3 Dogs
    No neighbours 
    Living in Canada's bush
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    So I didn't read any of the post other than @henapple's post.  If you can, start colonoscopy at 40 and then every five years after assuming you're clean at 40.  Many insurances won't cover it before age 50 because they dont want to spend the $.  There are exceptions I choose not to post on a BBQ forum.  I spent last night in a holiday inn express.  Get checked!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I was told in confidence that @henapple 's doc does rectal exams... With both hands on Tony 's shoulders. It's a 'Boro Thang. 

Definition of a colonoscope= a medical device with an a$$hole at each end of it. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    caliking said:
    I was told in confidence that @henapple 's doc does rectal exams... With both hands on Tony 's shoulders. It's a 'Boro Thang. 

Definition of a colonoscope= a medical device with an a$$hole at each end of it. 
    @caliking - Do you know something about a#&s? I know @Eggcelsior does
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    @DMW -  is the Pope Catholic? :) 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • My sister is a veterinarian.  I'm making one of these for her office.

Tho wooden kind smart guy!
    Flint, Michigan
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Tony called me up today and told me to get 'er done.  I agree.  I'm 51 and lost my dad and sister to cancer, and my mom had cancer but survived.  I just hate going to the Dr, but I'm going to get it done.   Sound like fun.  I obviously like sedation....that's why I drink.  So I'll set it up....with a sedative.
    You must follow through @nolaegghead.  Be sure to tell them you'll need "extra sedative"!
  • nolaegghead
    I want to be, after, like: when are you going to start probing my ass?  And they're like, we're done, dude.  And I'm like, can I get more of whatever this is?
    @nolaegghead, if you are honest up front and let them know how much you normally drink a day (double it), that lets them know how much you'll need.  Then you'll kinda, maybe like have a, sorta kinda no memory.  Do it brother!
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    @nolaegghead, you can't get more of whatever it is. Just ask Michael. 
  • nolaegghead
    They'll wonder how I'm still alive if I double it....  ;)
    No brother, @nolaegghead, they'll wonder why it wasn't x4 my friend!   I hope to meet you in N GA in the spring or at the NC butt blast.  Happy holidays **** ;)