Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Indirect chicken thighs

Larry McSass
Larry McSass Posts: 56
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does anyone know how long to cook chicken thighs indirect and what temp? Am doing a bunch for Memorial Day this afternoon...need some advice. Thanks!

Comments

• Larry McSass,
    There is a post on the same subject down this page.

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Larry McSass,[p]Figure that indirect is just like doing it in the oven. If I do chicken indirect (e.g., splatchcock or parts) I usually go about 375 dome for a short hour. You might want to give them a few minutes direct just to crisp up the skin.
  • BTG
    BTG Posts: 76
    Larry McSass,
    If you have Dr. BBQ Big Time Cookbook check out his recipe. I usually do them at 225 to 250 dome temp with a plate setter for 3-4 hours. I use cherry and hickory chunks for smoke flavor. I usually marinade overnight and put the rub on 20-30 minutes prior to putting on the grill. To crisp up the skin you can remove the plate setter and cook directly for 15 to 20 minutes with the skin side down but be careful because there can be a lot of grease and flare ups are common. Alternatively leave them indirect and raise the temp to 400 or so, glaze with sauce of your choice at the end. This method has won me 8th and 1st place finishes in contests. Best bbq chicken i ever ate was done low and slow like this.