Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is too much egg a bad thing?

Tony
Tony Posts: 224
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I think I'm addicted, I can't stop cooking on my BGE and when I'm not cooking on the egg I'm here reading recepies and posts. I'm wearing my family out, my daughter and wife are showing signs of displeasure when I cook on egg, she says she is tired of eating food cooked on the egg. Just yesterday they requested fried chicken instead of ribs, and today I gotta eat red beans and rice.[p]

Comments

• Spincycle
    Spincycle Posts: 26
    Tiger Tony,[p]I try to limit to 2 times a week, as the wife is preggers and on a pregnancy diet. However, I have bought a little 12 inch BGE that will adorn he nursery. That being said..I'm suprised to hear that anyone tires of egg food! Are you mixing up the menu well? Trying breads and casseroles and such?

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Tiger Tony,
    Try cooking breakfast on the Egg. It's not only fun, but tastes great. It will definitely give them something to tell their friends about.[p]PancakesEggandbaconongriddle.jpg[p]BaconEggSausageonGriddle.jpg[p]Spring "Breakfast of Chimpions" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Tony
    spincycle,
    Good point. I need to add more variety to the menu. Never cooked anything but meats. Ribs, burgers, chicken wings, beer-butt chicken, steaks, butts, pork loins, fatties, chicken roll-ups, sausage, and ABT's is about all I ever cook. I guess I need to try a pizza and some veggies.

• Tiger Tony,
    I have the same problem. Only had the BGE a couple of weeks and I realized that I was smoking everything. I love it. She doesn't. Problem is easy to solve, we only smoke half the time. Today it is ribs with a mixture of hickory and cherry...tom

• Spring Chicken
    Tiger Tony,
    Try this...[p]MVC-007S.jpg[p]or this...[p]PeachCobbler5-24-05.jpg[p]or this...[p]SmokingCheese1.jpg[p]or this...[p]TonightsBGEPizza.jpg[p]All are easy and turn out great.[p]Spring "Millionaire In Training" Chicken

• Tony
    Spring Chicken,
    OK, you gotta explain #2 and #3. 2 looks great![p]What the heck is #3? A big slab of butter over a tray of icecubes? :-)

• wobin
    wobin Posts: 211
    Tiger Tony,
    Smoking cheese. The ice is to keep it from melting.

• ronbeaux
    ronbeaux Posts: 988
    Tiger Tony,
    great posts! Yesterday was ribs and today I was going for a brisket flat. The wife and kids said NO! "BBQ BBQ BBQ, that's all we have." So, off to the store for some pizza fixings for the large and will fire up the small with a cast iron pan to saute' some shrimp. In fact I may try using my mini jambalaya pot on the small and wip out some chicken and sausage jambalaya. Although red beans and rice sure sounds good too.[p]On a side note, they did eat left over ribs for lunch! Ha!

• Spring Chicken
    Tiger Tony,
    Wobin got it right on #3. Cold smoked cheese. Took about 30 minutes at 115°. It's easy. Give it a try. Hickory is what I used for smoking wood. Use lots of ice in the pan. Add more if necessary.[p]Number 2 is a peach cobbler made with Calhoon Mills Peach Cobbler Mix (better than most peach cobblers you've ever eaten). Cook it longer than the minimum time. I like mine with a hard top crust so I add about 10 minutes to it. Package of Calhoon Mills mix, can of peaches, lots of butter and heat. Excellent with Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla Icecream on top.[p]Number 1 is my first attempt at woking. Wasn't bad but I know it can get better. Easy too. Frozen wok veggies and some meat and some seasoning. Very hot fire under the wok.[p]Number 4 is nothing but a frozen Degearnos (sp) Supreme pizza. Totally different flavor than what comes out of the stove oven. We eat about one a week. So easy it embarasses me me to talk about.[p]Now you know and now you have some variety to offer your family.[p]Spring "Spiced For Life" Chicken

• Tony
    ronbeaux,
    hehehehe...Yeah man! You know how it is down here it's red beans and rice every Monday. But I figured since it's Memorial Day we would bbq something. Nope not us, I done ran bbq into the ground since buying the egg. I did however, just got finished grilling a hamburger that I couldn't pass up as I was walking past the meat counter at Whole Foods Market. Dat place has the best looking meat I ever saw, I spend a fortune in that place. I ain't gonna be able to afford making groceries at Whole Foods. I'm home alone right now, my wife and daughter are working. Not many people celebrate the Memorial holiday down here. It's always been considered sort of just a Yankee holiday. Like my dad used to say "heck we lost the war, let dem northerners celebrate" :-)
    If ya come up with a good way to cook jambalaya on the egg be certain to let me know. there's a truck stop/gas station in Gonzales right by Pelican Point that sells the jambalaya dry mix in a pack, all ya do is add sausage and chicken. It's really good, I forgot the brand name, but I always pick up a few packages of it whenever I'm in the area.

• Tony
    Spring Chicken,
    Ok, I'm off to the store to buy some Calhoon Mills Peach Cobbler Mix, if I can find it and some vanilla ice cream.
    One question though. I assume I should remove the used lump from the egg and start with a fresh batch of lump, right? Or can I just burn the used lump after the smoke from the dripping from the last cook burns off?

• Spring Chicken
    Tiger Tony,
    You can use the old lump. It does not change the flavor one bit. Now if you have a lot of old smoking wood in there it might change the outcome but I doubt it. Be sure to use real butter. You won't be sorry. [p]Spring "Peach Cobbler Sounds Good For Dinner" Chicken

• ronbeaux
    ronbeaux Posts: 988
    Tiger Tony,
    I'm going to shrink down Ricky Breaux's(multi time winner of the festival and co-worker) recipe and use his technique. I'm pretty sure I can do it, will just have to control the fire and open and close the lid to regulate the temperature of the pot. The easy part will be browning the start and getting the rice put in for the boil. Then it gets tricky. I figure if I can pull the pot off and let the egg get down to 250 and use a barrier I can let the pot sit in there closed until the rice is done. I'll let you know.

• Spincycle
    Spincycle Posts: 26
    Spring Chicken,
    What is the second one? Bread pudding or breakfast casserole?

• Spring Chicken
    spincycle,
    I posted this below:[p]Number 2 is a peach cobbler made with Calhoon Mills Peach Cobbler Mix (better than most peach cobblers you've ever eaten). Cook it longer than the minimum time. I like mine with a hard top crust so I add about 10 minutes to it. Package of Calhoon Mills mix, can of peaches, lots of real butter and heat. Excellent with Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla Icecream on top.[p]They sell Calhoon Mills in most Houston area stores.[p]Spring "Working On My New Outdoor Kitchen" Chicken[p]

• Tony
    Spring Chicken,
    I couldn't find Calhoon mix but I did buy "Chef Hans Southern Style Peach Cobbler Mix", I'm going to double up on the real butter :-)
    Thanks I'll let you know how it comes out.