Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

mini egg

Options
Scott
Scott Posts: 47
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Can anyone share experiences, good and bad, with the mini egg?.....I'm single, so just cook for one, plus think it'd be great for tailgating, but not sure it's better than the plain hibachi I use now.

Comments

• Chef Arnoldi
    Chef Arnoldi Posts: 974
    Options
    great little BGE - i love mine. you can do a 3lb chicken when doing indirect method (placing a little tile between two grids (extra grid to purchase) and do 4 burgers, 4 chicken breast.
    things you can't do: low and slow smoking - chamber too small to hold that much lump for 20hrs.

ribs need cutting to smaller size & using a ceramic tile 6" diam in between with a 6" drip pan on top or aluminum foil shaped into a little tray to catch the fat.
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Scott,
    My view; The mini's advantage is the dome and temp control. Once the dome is heated up and vents adjusted for your desired cooking temp you can cook better by not drying out the meat as it cooks. Hamburgers, steaks and thick cut pork chops will stay juicy. Use a small 8" cake pan and a thin firebrick for indirect, slow roasting as the dome of the mini helps to cook your food from all sides. [p]Windy and cold weather is no problem, another advantage of cooking on the any of the eggs.[p]Just a thought, I'd give the small egg a closer look as that size has more capability and advantages yet is small enough to take with you on trips. Watch out, the egg is addicting.
    Have fun!
    Clay

• Jopa
    Jopa Posts: 155
    Options
    Scott,
    I have a mediun and a mini.We just got the mini and for the two of us it works great. Two or three filets with out firing up the medium.I get way more use from the mini now. In my perfect world I would add a large later some day. I think a mini is perfect for a single guy.

• tn slagamater
    tn slagamater Posts: 623
    Options
    Scott, I have a large, a small, and a mini egg. The small egg gets 95 % of the cooking time. You can do almost anything on a small (with the exception of a large Thanksgiving turkey or a brisket). The mini sort of limits you to just grilling and you will miss the smoking and long, low temperature type cooks you can do on the larger Eggs. The mini is a great cooker but I would take a hard look at the small for just a little more money....At 65 pounds it is portable. Either way you will be happy!

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Scott,
    I like the mini egg.I have one at home and one at my office.Here is a few pictures of us at the lake cooking on the mini.
    Larry

[ul][li]Mini Egg at the Lake[/ul]
  • Spincycle
    Spincycle Posts: 26
    Options
    YB,
    The meat and lakes look awesome!

• BikesBoardsnBBQ
    Options
    Scott,
    I bought a mini to supplement my large, specifically for ease of transport when camping. Having used it for awhile, I wish I had gotten the small, and figured out how to load it behind the seat of my truck. Many things can't be done as well on the mini; however, I use a tile and rest it on some bolts, which allows indirect cooking - a major need for egging.

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    spincycle,
    Thanks...I just came home to pick up a few things and heading back to the lake.
    Larry