Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maple Chopping Block

2»

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Question for those with blocks. Do you keep them on countertop or leave out?
    I plan on leaving mine out. Wife, not happy about it.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg

@Photo Egg ... I've got a Michigan Maple Block 30x30x16 inch single dovetail chopping block like their Monarch model.  Bought it 1974 from a small grocery store in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan that was going out of business.  Not sure anymore how old it was when we bought it ... but, it wasn't new at that time.  It's been in seven houses, in three states, and on two different continents.  The dovetail joints are still tight and it only has one small crack in a straight seam (only opens up in the winter) after all these years.

They may not have the Boos/Yeti reputation, but they make a fine product.  Based on what I've experienced, you have a great cutting board.  Enjoy.

Instead of a couple of dainty finger grooves, you could route a channel all the way around the bottom edge.  Here's what the back/bottom side looks like on my 2-1/4" thick cutting board.

Seems dumb to give up that much surface on the backside, but I've come to really appreciate the all-around finger access.  Boards this size are heavy.
    Great story/history behind your board. That is priceless...
    I do like the routed bottom on yours.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Thanks, Darian!  I'm excited to use this bad boy!

• Photo Egg
    Thanks, Darian!  I'm excited to use this bad boy!

And your counter top really makes it pop...
    Nice.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    I bought this almost 40 years ago in Houston. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• I was 3.... =)

seriously, that's a beautiful piece @mickey but I gotta have something that lives on the countertop, no room for a table like that. 
  • clweed
    clweed Posts: 70
    I recommend that Anyone remodeling or installing an island in their kitchen consider a butcher block top, you will not regret it. My favorite part of of our kitchen.

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Mine's definitely not being used for what it was intended...
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    edited December 2015
    Jeremiah said:
    No worries about the outdoor weather? Won't the block split with all the moisture and humidity being outdoors? Great looking table. Would hate for it to start splitting 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Jeremiah said:

That's BB abuse!  Here that would go for at least $300 and you could buy an all stainless table for your MM.   
    Phoenix 
  • blasting
    edited December 2015
    Photo Egg said:
    Bjorg said:
    I just got it. I use mineral oil. For now I have mixed feelings. I am in love with the looks and feel it but it requires a lot of attention. Namely wine stains and the like. It also affects magazines and newspaper with oil stains, but I hope that is temporary as it was recently saturated with oil. Wiping it requires a few passes as it dries out the rag lol.  But the looks, oh man, it a thing of beauty. 
    I think after the oil sinks in and you can wax it the above issues will fade away.
    And again...Damn...

I melt 1/3 organic bees wax with 2/3 mineral oil and apply warm.  Then I buff it off with an old towel.  This cut my maintenance way down.  The block always looks great as well.
    Phoenix 
  • Jeremiah
    @blasting and @WeberWho? I just keep it well oiled. No issues yet. But if your offering me $300...  =)
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,360
    Bought this one at Costco in Canada for $30. It's 2" thick 16 x 18

In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Nice looking block. Just got added to my wish list.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• blasting
    Jeremiah said:
    @blasting and @WeberWho? I just keep it well oiled. No issues yet. But if your offering me $300...  =)

@Jeremiah   Check out this local listing 

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/fuo/5277063637.html
    Phoenix 
  • Jeremiah
    @blasting  that's awesome! I take back my price. It's now $599!! 

Seriously, I debated keeping it out side but there's just no room inside and once I set the minimax on it I really liked it. And I've been carefully watching it to see if it begins to crack. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    I was gonna buy one but, I heard there's a guy giving away a custom board for guessing a random number. Seems logical :whistle: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Jeremiah said:
    Hey that looks familiar. 
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    So....one of these appeared under our tree this year courtesy of my parents.
    @Photo_Egg does it need to be sanded before use? Anything else need to be done to it? I got some oil for it as well. How much and how often does it need to be oiled?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• @Griffin I'm certainly no expert, but I bought one after Darian posted his. I didn't sand, but did oil. About a month later now it's starting to look dry. I think I'll oil the first of each month. 
  • I got that same board for Xmas yesterday. So you know, get several bottles of board oil. It drank up the first bottle up and took a little of the second before it stopped drinking it in. But looks beautiful and will be our focal point in out kitchen. I always have out a maple edge grain board we got over 25 years ago but now it's going to be put away. It should be a little more easier on my knifes too...
  • Photo Egg
    Griffin said:
    So....one of these appeared under our tree this year courtesy of my parents.
    @Photo_Egg does it need to be sanded before use? Anything else need to be done to it? I got some oil for it as well. How much and how often does it need to be oiled?
    Great gift...
    I did light sand mine with very fine paper. It ate about half bottle of Boos oil and then I used the wax based Boos in the tube.
    Really like the board.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • matoch
    matoch Posts: 135
    GlennM said:
    Bought this one at Costco in Canada for $30. It's 2" thick 16 x 18

I'm picking one of these up. It looks like they are $40 now through costco.ca
    Edmonton, Alberta - XL & Minimax
  • Krughzn
    Krughzn Posts: 38
    Got mine yesterday. Oiled it today. Should be ready to go in a few days. Too bad my backyard is still a few weeks from being done. 
    San Diego, Ca. XL BGE, 42" Lynx All Sear Grill,Thermapen, Thermopop, Adjustable Rig Combo, Maverick 733, SS Smokeware Cap, Flame Boss 200, Grill Grates.