Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My Latest Time Waster

Options
CTMike
CTMike Posts: 3,247
edited November 2015 in Off Topic
So a few years back we lost power for 7 days following Hurricane Irene, and then 5 days the following year for Sandy. Hooked up a 5500w gas powered screamer which would give us the well pump, hot water, the fridge, freezer, and lighting. It wasn't enough to run the Central A/C, an absolute must due to SWMBO's asthma being exacerbated by heat and humidity. 

I stumbled across the GovLiquidation website and started doing a bunch of reading on steelsoldiers.com. I eventually picked up a military surplus MEP-803A 10 KW diesel driven generator. It had just been rebuilt by the depot and had only 16 hours on the clock following factory reset. It has a Lister-Petter LPW4 engine running at a low 1,800 rpm driving an Onan generator head. This generator is in the Tactical Queit Generator series, and as such it is much quieter than the little 3,600 rpm gas screamer it replaced. 

It did have a leaking fuel tank drain valve that required disassembling a good portion of the machine to repair it. Thankfully the part was only $12. 

Anyhow, here are a couple of video's of this very stout machine that will power everything I need with proper load management:

http://youtu.be/D7dAFxnkOA4

This second video is a load test with the MEP connected to a redneck load bank. It didn't even shrug when I threw 10KW worth of heaters on it simultaneously. 

http://youtu.be/tEl45PpaIMo

I received my approved electrical permit on Friday so tomorrow I will get it tied in to the house, and then call for my inspection. Then I need to write up a procedure for SWMBO so she can get things transferred in case we lose power while I am working nights. 
MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
Southeastern CT. 

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
  • CTMike
    Options
    Thanks. One regret is that I wish I wasn't so hasty to remove the oil tank from the basement when we converted to propane. This has an aux oil pump that can lift 20' to refill the skid mounted tank, controlled by an automatic level switch. So now I am looking for a tank to put back in the basement to have some extended capacity. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    wow, that is a monster!  what's going on in that load test video?  looks like a generator running power to some circuit breakers running power to a barrel of water!  looks dangerous!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Whoa! I would be very afraid if I was your neighbor... looks you're bulding a bomb or something :) 

You won't be hurting for juice the next time the power cuts off.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    That is some serious power.  Nice setup.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• CTMike
    edited November 2015
    Options
    blind99 said:
    wow, that is a monster!  what's going on in that load test video?  looks like a generator running power to some circuit breakers running power to a barrel of water!  looks dangerous!
    It is a barrel full of water with 10KW worth of electric water heater elements in it. The hose is on to provide a feed and bleed to remove the heat from the elements so they don't burn out. 

Not really dangerous at all as long as you keep the water away from the load terminals. 

I wanted to make sure the generator would carry a load (verify the generator works) prior to connecting to the house. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    That is way more awesome than a clock. You should put it on twitter, maybe you will be invited to visit the White House. Right @henapple @cazzy @JohnInCarolina ?

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • CTMike
    Options
    Nah, being a grumpy old white guy I'd get labeled a domestic terrorist and thrown in a dark cell somewhere. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    Options
    Color me impressed!
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    That is awesome.  Good luck. 
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Nice.  You can get some super start capacitors for your central ac..any big dynamic loads.  I have a 12 kvh standby that runs off natural gas.   We ran it for 7 days after Issac.   It had problems starting the 5 ton ac....solved after installation of a $35 capacitor.  

Actually started fine before....but the voltage drop caused issues with the other things like the ups systems. ...some would shut down momentarily.
    Options
    Nice setup. 

However, since you've gone through this much work and trouble,  why not install an auto transfer switch so she don't have to do anything?
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    CTMike said:
    Nah, being a grumpy old white guy I'd get labeled a domestic terrorist and thrown in a dark cell somewhere. 
    Don't mention grumpy around @SGH.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    You really don't have to do all of that... Obama will take care of you.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • CTMike
    Options
    henapple said:
    Call me crazy or old-fashioned, but I'd rather look after me and mine. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • CTMike
    Options
    Nice setup. 

However, since you've gone through this much work and trouble,  why not install an auto transfer switch so she don't have to do anything?
    This generator has to be manually started and warmed up for 5 minutes prior to loading to minimize wear on the machine. It also doesn't have the capacity to run the entire house so load management is required. 

So because of those factors, it will be connected to a sub-panel via an interlocked manual transfer switch. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    henapple said:
    Troll!  I like that!
    Options
    CTMike said:
    Nice setup. 

This generator has to be manually started and warmed up for 5 minutes prior to loading to minimize wear on the machine. It also doesn't have the capacity to run the entire house so load management is required. 

So because of those factors, it will be connected to a sub-panel via an interlocked manual transfer switch. 
    Ahh, okay... 

Most load centers will have a sub panel to feed the circuits you want on your main panel.  

Now, I say this, but don't have that either.  I punched a hole just below my panel and installed my NEMA 14-30 plug and will have to manually open and close everything too.  

When we build our next house, I'll hopefully have an auto throw-over scheme and hopefully enough funds to get a larger genset.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Yep, put me into the "I'm impressed" category.  Love the military stuff ... built to be run by 18 year old kids in adverse situations and last forever.  I can see a spider web of unauthorized drop cords to the neighbor's houses during power out situations.

BTW ... the Onan generator sets are what we used to power our instrument vans.  Eight hours a day for five plus days a week for 50 weeks a year.  Great product.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• DaveRichardson
    Options
    Jealous!!!!!!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• CTMike
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Yep, put me into the "I'm impressed" category.  Love the military stuff ... built to be run by 18 year old kids in adverse situations and last forever.  I can see a spider web of unauthorized drop cords to the neighbor's houses during power out situations.

BTW ... the Onan generator sets are what we used to power our instrument vans.  Eight hours a day for five plus days a week for 50 weeks a year.  Great product.
    The nearest neighbor is over 500' away so that won't be happening. 

I'm glad to hear about your experience with the Onan gen heads, reaffirms that this was a worthwhile purchase. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • nolaegghead
    Options

@Jeepster47 hahaha....  Last extended outage (7 days after Issac) we had extension cords running from our generator to the neighbors next door and one two houses down over the back of my other neighbor's MIL apartment.  We have plenty of power to spare for small appliances - lights, fans and refrigerators.  I have a couple of extra inverter generators that get loaned out too....nice and quiet 2100 and 3300 watt...very fuel efficient.
    Options
    This is awesome. Does it have a 240 outlet?
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • CTMike
    Options
    This model generator will put out single phase 120V, single phase 240V, and three phase 208V. It will be wired up single phase 240V to power the well pump, AC condensers, and remaining loads. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    @CTMike thanks. And your thread has been sunk by the way. Effing nazis. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • CTMike
    Options
    Oh well. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT.