Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New to the forum - First Prime Rib

Options

Today we are egging a 4.6 pound bone in prime rib roast. I rubbed it with Worcestershire sauce and then added Kansas City Steak prime rib rub on it.  Wrapped in foil and tossed back in the frig for 3 hours.  Fired up the egg with hickory chips and mesquite chunks.  Added the platesetter and stabilized temp at 250 dome temp. Placed the roast on at 12:20 PM.  Two hours later and we are at 103° internal temp. Egg has been holding steady at 250  to 260° dome. Pulled it off at 130° internal temp at 3:15 PM. 

Covered the meat loosely with for 30 minutes and the temperature rose to 136. Meat was tender, juicy and had an excellent flavor. My wife thought it was a little smoky.
Lewiston, MN  LBGE

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Damn that's a fine hunk of meat!

welcome. Great start!
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Welcome to the forum. Way to come out of the gate swinging. Awesome job :clap: 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Great looking piece of meat! Personally, I do not add any smoking wood to roasted meats. I reserve that strictly for traditional BBQ. However, there are plenty of members here which do add smoke. Looks like you hit your marks on the temps! Wow! Look forward to your next cook. 
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Nice Job that looks perfect. Mesquite can be overpowering if you not used to smoked meat.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Options
    Great looking prime rib
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • SmokingPiney
    Options
    That roast is money!
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Welcome aboard and continue to enjoy the journey.  Friggin home-run right there.  Most eggcellent.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Welcome... Looks great 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Looks good!

Firstly welcome..That is one killer looking cook right there.. Awesome !!!
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • A5firearms
    Options
    Temps look perfect!
    Lake Keowee, SC
    XLarge, MiniMax, 36" Blackstone
    Custom Table, KAB, Woo2, Guru DigiQ DX2,
    Family of 5 Meat Eaters
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    Beautiful. Welcome aboard and nicely done on this cook. Can't wait for more.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Nice job and welcome. I don't use more than 1 or 2 chunks of smoke wood for anything other than low and slow bbq. I figure it's better to err on the less than too much side of smokiness.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Nice job! Welcome

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• NC_Egghead
    Options
    Looks like you nailed it. Hickory and mesquite can be overpowering. I prefer a small bit of oak with beef; just enough smoke to give it a "kiss" of flavor. BTW, welcome, from another newbie to the forum. 
    Charlotte, NC

XL BGE, WSM, Weber Genesis 2, Weber Kettle
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    You nailed it. Welcome!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Very nice presentation! The meat looks perfect for my plate. Prime rib was my very first cook as well. 
    Welcome and have fun. Thecost to join, is nothing compared to the cost to stay! 
    You have been advised.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I cooked one today myself that turned out great. I would not try and stand mine up to yours......looks great.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Little Steven
    Options
    That's the beauty of low and slow on tender meats. Bravo!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Welcome!  Great post!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga