Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stealing

Options
henapple
henapple Posts: 16,025
@DMW just mentioned the govt stealing from you. I know as a self employed man they.... Well, I feel like Jenna Jameson. 
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,180
    Options
    They love to steal money. GA legalized Sunday alcohol sales a couple years back. I was at our local taco hut the other day and noticed that the City of Marietta requires a special permit for Sunday liquor sales that costs $695. I don't remember that being on the ballot. Crooks. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    henapple said:
    I feel like Jenna Jameson. 
    They have doctors who can help you with these sorts of feelings these days, Tony, all thanks to Obummercare.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Self employed as well

i don't pay any more in taxes than anyone else at the same income level

and fully deduct my health insuranc

The so-called self employment tax only costs you more because your employer would normally pay this on your behalf

If a self employed person didn't want social security or medicaid, it would be great for them to be able to opt out (if they could). But i'm guessing everyone will want their ssn check when the time comes. 

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    Always fun to ask folks what they are paying for taxes. Most don't know, and only like to b!tch

http://m.dailykos.com/story/2015/4/12/1377279/-Look-How-Obama-Raised-Taxes-Or-Not-Tax-Rates-Explained-In-One-Chart
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    ^^^ that's funny
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    I have not messed with the true numbers in a few years but the flat tax proposed by Steve Forbes (back in 1992 I think) would definitely simplify things.  His rate, as I recall was 17% as that would generate as much or more revenue than the current structure. The challenges are-many lawyers and accounts out of business, mortgage interest deduction gone (housing prices take a dip and then will move back up) and charitable deductions also eliminated.  
    And I don't know how the business/corporate world was handled.
    The key was to define income.  Anyhow-great and fairly easy to understand concept that had/has no chance of ever becoming law.  FWIW on an early Sat PM.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Options
    Yea, he hasn't raised rates, but has not used the revenue wisely.
    The shovel ready jobs still need a jackhammer and the solar panel companies are broke or out of business. 
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Durangler said:
    The shovel ready jobs still need a jackhammer and the solar panel companies are broke or out of business. 
    The failure rate for energy companies supported by the DOE under the stimulus is below ten percent.  That's really not all that bad a record.
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    I have not messed with the true numbers in a few years but the flat tax proposed by Steve Forbes (back in 1992 I think) would definitely simplify things.  His rate, as I recall was 17% as that would generate as much or more revenue than the current structure. The challenges are-many lawyers and accounts out of business, mortgage interest deduction gone (housing prices take a dip and then will move back up) and charitable deductions also eliminated.  
    And I don't know how the business/corporate world was handled.
    The key was to define income.  Anyhow-great and fairly easy to understand concept that had/has no chance of ever becoming law.  FWIW on an early Sat PM.
    Lou - that had a threshhold right? The flat taxes proposed in Alberta a few years ago had a threshold set at the pverty line (I paraphrase) - basically, no tax on the first $25K, then a flat tax....
    Interesting, SWMBO is self employed and files about a 40 page return, the end result is she owes about 20% of everything over about $20K, the BC poverty line is $22K. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Governments don't steal, they re-distribute....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I think the "working man" doesn't realize how bad the business deductions are. I take all the ones I can get. I think @JohnInCarolina sends in extra each year from white privilege guilt. 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    henapple said:
    I think the "working man" doesn't realize how bad the business deductions are. I take all the ones I can get. I think @JohnInCarolina sends in extra each year from white privilege guilt. 
    Speaking of white privilege guilt, I drove past a Penzeys Spice store yesterday and the wifey asked if I wanted to go in there. After ranting for about 10 minutes, I think she got the picture...
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    @Skiddymarker - I'm quite sure you are right about the threshold but I haven't spent much time with the subject as it will not go anywhere for all the above issues and more.
    BTW-Donaldson AL MVP...another of the A's move on and does well.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @Skiddymarker - I'm quite sure you are right about the threshold but I haven't spent much time with the subject as it will not go anywhere for all the above issues and more.
    BTW-Donaldson AL MVP...another of the A's move on and does well.  
    Yep - we can say we knew and loved him when.... Great ball player, all part of the firesale. 
    (Tony - sorry for the mini hi-jack)
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    @doubleegger- don't even get me started on what the FA Dept of Rev did to screw the small breweries here in GA!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• DoubleEgger
    Options
    @doubleegger- don't even get me started on what the FA Dept of Rev did to screw the small breweries here in GA!
    Oh I know! I have a friend that owns a small brewery. 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Is it stealing, or is it fraud?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    Durangler said:
    The failure rate for energy companies supported by the DOE under the stimulus is below ten percent.  That's really not all that bad a record.
    Plus they're still a fairly new business, haven't learned to plead/"donate" to congress for more money when their systems go over budget and over schedule by a factor of 3 to 8, as Lockheed-Martin, Boeing and Northrop-Grumman know how to do.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    @DoubleEgger around my parts. They don't sell liquor on Sunday. Beer on Sunday after noon. And bars can only serve till midnight on Friday and 1am on Saturday. I think the government shouldn't have income tax. Just  go to a consumption tax. I also think that since that teachers, firemen, police don't make what's fair. The shouldn't have to pay property tax if they live in the area they work. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    texaswig said:
    @DoubleEgger around my parts. They don't sell liquor on Sunday. Beer on Sunday after noon. And bars can only serve till midnight on Friday and 1am on Saturday. I think the government shouldn't have income tax. Just  go to a consumption tax. I also think that since that teachers, firemen, police don't make what's fair. The shouldn't have to pay property tax if they live in the area they work. 
    Whoa. I thought I was out there. Keep in mind that public employees do quite well in many areas of the country. Not the same in every state. No way we go to a straight consumption tax. This would tax the poor the same as the rich. Like it or not we a a progressive tax society. I do think it would be best if people on the lower end had a bit more skin in the game. Don't know how. 
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    That dang govment