Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: .22 Rifle Suggestions

Options
Way off topic but I would like to buy a little .22 rifle to mess around with up in the mountains. It won't get used much and I may or may not take good care of it. For these reasons, I don't want to spend too much. Looking for good quality on the low end of the price range. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance. Everyone here excels in helping me spend my money. 
XL,L,S 
Winston-Salem, NC 

Comments

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Ruger 10/22 is the standard answer, but there are a million different variations.  I like the Takedown model because the barrel can be taken off in a second and thrown in the included back pack.  Just makes it a lot easier to carry and it's not a total pain to put together like the Henry AR7.  Another cool, but long gone "takedown" / backpack rifle was the Springfield/CZ M6 (.22 on top, .410 on the bottom).

Henry makes a lot of really nice lever and pump action .22LR's.  If you can find one, the old Remington Model 12C pump actions were so cool......a true "Fudd" gun.
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    Great info. Thanks. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • NewNashEgg
    Options
    10/22 is a great choice.  I've got 2 older Field masters, a semi auto and a pump.  Both are tough/fun/reliable to shoot. Not sure what these go for now but they will eat any variation of .22 ammo...longs, shorts, whatever
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    I like my HK .22 MP5 replica.  Fun gun to shoot paper with.

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Hi54putty
    Options
    cazzy said:

This may be a little much for shooting at stuff off my back deck! 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    Not cheap, but a 10/22 breakdown in stainless would be my first choice. (threaded barrel version if allowed where you plan to shoot) $400ish
    Gittin' there...
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,180
    Options
    cazzy said:

The media calls that an AK-47...
  • jjmills
    jjmills Posts: 117
    Options
    Definitely the Ruger 10/22.  So many after market parts for them.  They are also super reliable.  At our cottage we have one for shooting red squirrels.  thousands of rounds through it and is dead on.
     LG. BGE  Straight up Cheese head from Little Chute, WI
  • A5firearms
    Options
    Rutgers 10/22 for sure. As someone else said, the s/s version would be the best choice
    Lake Keowee, SC
    XLarge, MiniMax, 36" Blackstone
    Custom Table, KAB, Woo2, Guru DigiQ DX2,
    Family of 5 Meat Eaters
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Oh yeah. ........the basic Ruger 10-22 is very hard to beat at any where near the price. 
    You'll love it. 
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Hi54putty
    Options
    Excellent. Looks like Ruger10-22 it is. I knew I came to the right place. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • leemschu
    leemschu Posts: 609
    Options
    I like my ruger 10/22 only problem I have is you can't find ammo still after like 3 years.....
    Dyersburg, TN
  • highball
    Options

I am a fan of the Henry lever action H001. It shoots .22LR, .22L, .22short and cost around $300 new

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Those henrys are hard to beat. So are the ruger 10/22. Go to the store and put your hands on several before you buy one. 

Little Rock, AR

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    The Ruger 10/22 Takedown is pretty neat though a bit pricier.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Options
    Another vote for the Ruger 10/22.  The takedown model wasn't available when I bought mine;  probably would have chosen it if had been.  Great gun, very reliable, HIGHLY customizable if you one day get the urge...
    New Orleans LA
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    If you decide on the 10/22, and do NOT want the TakeDown, get one of the older ones.  The new ones have faux wood stocks, plastic trigger groups, etc.  They're just not as nice as the old ones were (but they're lighter at least.)  It's about $100-150, to swap out some internals and sights, to make it a much smoother running & accurate gun.

I'm not sure what state you're in, but if suppresors are legal, these things are no louder than the BB gun pictured above when run on subsonics.  You'll be into it for another $500 to get the can, tax stamp, and barrel threaded.  Or if you're cool with a lever or pump action rather than the semi-auto, just get one of those that can run on .22 shorts/CB's.  The downside is the ammo as all of those subs, shorts, or CB's, are always more expensive and harder to fine than regular .22LR.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    Go somewhere and shoulder them, there is a fair bit of variation between the girth of the stocks in 22s

Agree Ruger 10/22 and Henry lever action are the standards.  I don't like the magazine on the Ruger and didn't want to add a banana clip, also didn't want to spend the $ on a Henry for a simple plinking gun.  I ended up with a Marlin model 60 which has a tube feed like the lever action rifles have.  It's been great for me as a very lightly used gun for shooting cans, squirrels, etc.  $159 until I want something better.
  • Sammi
    Sammi Posts: 598
    Options
    Ruger 10/22 takedown was my choice. No complaints.
    Sudbury, Ontario
  • NCSmoky
    NCSmoky Posts: 515
    Options
    Another vote for Ruger 10/22 Takedown. Love mine.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    S&W AR-22....a blast.... Literally. 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    Get an AR in NATO 5.56.  Cheap to shoot, no kick and you can hunt with it if you so desire.  
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    Hi54putty said:
     I may or may not take good care of it. 
    This statement scares the H out of me.  If you don't intend to take good care of a firearm, IMO, you shouldn't bother owning one.  Responsible gun ownership starts with taking proper care of the item. If you have a lackadaisical attitude towards the care of the gun, I'm afraid of you having a lackadaisical attitude towards firearm safety as well.  It's not a toy.  It's a tool and a weapon.  Please treat it as such if you do decide to buy one.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    10/22 is a great choice.  I've got 2 older Field masters, a semi auto and a pump.  Both are tough/fun/reliable to shoot. Not sure what these go for now but they will eat any variation of .22 ammo...longs, shorts, whatever
    I have a Fieldmaster pump; it's an outstanding rifle. The 10/22 as you said is a great choice. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Hi54putty
    Options
    Zmokin said:
    Hi54putty said:
    This statement scares the H out of me.  If you don't intend to take good care of a firearm, IMO, you shouldn't bother owning one.  Responsible gun ownership starts with taking proper care of the item. If you have a lackadaisical attitude towards the care of the gun, I'm afraid of you having a lackadaisical attitude towards firearm safety as well.  It's not a toy.  It's a tool and a weapon.  Please treat it as such if you do decide to buy one.
    I appreciate the scolding. I own handguns and completely agree with your assessment. I should have said that I will do required maintenance but won't be swapping out parts and tricking anything out. I probably won't strip and clean after every use and it may sit around for months at a time. I will do the minimum maintenance to maintain a safe firearm. Having said that, I don't disagree with anything you wrote. I don't have much experience with rifle safety but will certainly learn. I imagine it is mostly common sense, which luckily I have a lot of. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Davec433
    Davec433 Posts: 463
    Options
    I just bought a 10/22 Takedown 423 including everything and I want to say the non-takedown version was a hundr d dollars cheaper. My only complaint about the gun is the cheap stock has no-where to put a sling. It's either a hundred dollars to get a new stock or have the stock drilled.
  • Davec433
    Options
    Zmokin said:
    Hi54putty said:
    I really don't think they go hand in hand. All of the accidental discharges I've seen at ranges (and I've seen a lot) have been with dudes with clean guns and kit. I can understand having a gun that I'm not going to spend a bunch of time and money keeping operational. Safety is more of a mind set and being aware of what your doing then keeping your kit straight.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    leemschu said:
    I like my ruger 10/22 only problem I have is you can't find ammo still after like 3 years.....
    It's been like that here as well for quite some time.  Local gun/bow shop was raffling one box of .22LR.  Craziness.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Davec433
    Options
    Focker said:
    leemschu said:
    It's been like that here as well for quite some time.  Local gun/bow shop was raffling one box of .22LR.  Craziness.

That's insane! I was at Gander Mountain this weekend and they had a "Black Friday" deal I think 320 rounds for 15 dollars or so and still had a bunch of other brands.