Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Oysters at Last!

Options
Gretl
Gretl Posts: 670
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I finally tried smoking oysters on the BGE. Here's what I did:[p]I started out with one 16-oz. container of fresh shucked frying-size (large) oysters. I drained them (not rinsed) in a colander, put them in a small bowl and added a scant 1/4 cup olive oil and about 2 generous teaspoons chopped garlic and a heavy dash or so of hot sauce (we use habanero, but any hot sauce would work). I had some branches of fresh rosemary, so I made a "bed" of the rosemary on a rack and placed the oysters on top and sprinkled them with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. I drizzled the seasoned oil remaining in the bowl over the oysters. I laid the rack over a drip pan containing about an inch of white wine. The egg was registering about 300 degrees. I had firebricks under the pan, and I added some soaked alder chips to the coals. I dropped the heat a bit to about 275 give or take. Then I actually forgot about them, as I became absorbed in bill-paying and record-keeping for the end of the year. The bottom line is that the oysters sort of hung in there for about three hours. When I took them out, they were nicely browned and had shrunken quite a bit. I feared they'd be like little tough hockey pucks. But no! I couldn't believe it. They were as tender as anything and so sweet and lightly smoky. They were the BEST. Jim and I ate them right off the rack. All of them. Never even made it to the table![p]So of course I had to try another batch the next day. The store had no rosemary, so I substituted a bed of crushed lemon grass and prepared the oysters the same way, but I doubled the recipe. And of course, this version was just as good. This time we restrained ourselves and actually served them to guests, who snarfed them down without bothering with bread or cracker. I think they lasted perhaps 10 minutes. The oysters, not the guests.[p]We're sort of addicted to this recipe now, which is distressing because oysters are quite expensive. But gosh...you only live once! I'm glad I finally did this experiment, and I hope that any of you eggers who like oysters try this preparation method out and let me know what you think. It's a winner![p]Cheers and Happy New Year,
Gretl

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Gretl,
    Cool! Thanks for sharing your results.
    When I did mine they were not browned at all, and quite squishy. They tasted good though, and now, thanks to you, I know to do them hotter and longer without worrying about them getting rubbery.[p]Your recipes sound delicious. I printed them for future reference. Sounds like you enjoy lemongrass, which is one of my favorites. Try my Brainstorm Chicken recipe when you get a chance. Fresh lemongrass is the key ingredient![p]Cheers.
    Nature Boy

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    I have your Brainstorm Chicken recipe at the top of my list of Things To Try On The Egg. I think I mentioned to you that we love Sriracha sauce, too. I'm out at the moment; I thought the regular supermarket carries it but no such luck. The local Asian market carries it, so I'll pick up a few bottles. I'll let you know when I try your recipe; it sounds just wonderful.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Gretl,
    Yep. Now I remember you mentioning the Sriracha sauce. It really is good stuff. For those that haven't tried, it belongs in every pantry. [p]Thanks again for the oyster tips. Can't wait to do them again using your method. [p]Tootaloo.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Jeepers, Gretl; they sound incredible! Your recipe is number one on my list of things to try when I return from my vacation.
    Bone appétit. Julie

• Fritz
    Fritz Posts: 179
    Options
    Gretl,[p]What type of rack did you use? I can't imagine one small enough to keep the oysters from falling through.[p]Fritz