Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bread

Options
2»

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your hand. Glad to hear you didn't use this yeast:
    http://www.someecards.com/life/food-drink/sourdough-bread-vagina-yeast/
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    I am SO impressed but at the same time SO embarrassed! I bought that very book 2 years ago and other than cracking it open once when it arrived I have never delved in to it. My EXCUSE? My wife doesn't eat bread other than a bun on an occasional burger and even less frequently a slice under poached eggs. With my love of fresh bread and piled on butter I'd soon exchange my 170 pound self I see in the mirror and be staring at a 400+ pound slob crying WHAT HAPPENED? But...carry on, SIR!!! Color me jealous!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    That's how all good sourdough bread starters are made, used to be a dirty little secret.  Now it's out.
    Options
    I  have been baking with the artisan bread in five method for several years.  I have baked on the egg, and I love it. With that said, my wife made me quit because we were getting fat. Now it's just pizza dough and special occasions. 

Your loaves look awesome, make me want to mix up a batch right now. Nice work!
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Cookinbob said:
    I  have been baking with the artisan bread in five method for several years.  I have baked on the egg, and I love it. With that said, my wife made me quit because we were getting fat. Now it's just pizza dough and special occasions. 

Your loaves look awesome, make me want to mix up a batch right now. Nice work!
    @Cookinbob whats your process on making the dough into pizza dough? I haven't gone further than the basic master recipe so far.  
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    @Thatgrimguy Thanks for the information. Sorry to hear about the burn. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    Thanks everyone. My wife found some numbing spray they gave her after child birth that took the edge off the pain. Now I just have to keep from using my right hand on accident. 
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    @Thatgrimguy, first of all I totally missed this awesome bread thread, majorly beautiful bread brother!  Secondly, I'm sorry to learn of your injury and wish you a speedy recovery!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    I bake sourdough from my starter, just spent some coin on breadtopia.
    got a proper proofing form bowl, la couches and board as I want to start trying baguette and rolls.
    Seattle, WA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Sorry about your right hand Scott...guess you'll be using your left for a while. ;)  (this is a demonstration of a poor use of emoticons)
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    Sorry about your hand. That sucks anytime, but the day before a holiday really sucks. Lavender and peppermint essential oils mixed in a carrier oil will help it heal pretty quickly and take a lot of the pain away. Don't ask me how I know. If you look kitchen klutz up in the dictionary, you'll see my picture. Love that book too. Unfortunately, hubby was diagnosed with Type II diabetes, so we had to scale back on bread making. He's controlled it very well, so, hopefully, we can resume baking. That is some beautiful bread. Drooling here. Sourdough is our all time favorite.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Sorry about your hand, dude. Don't pop any blisters that form. 

The bread looks fantastic. Inspired me to bake my own bread for this weekend instead if buying rolls.  I've been eyeing that book for a long time,  and I think it's high time I pulled the trigger. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • EggDan
    EggDan Posts: 174
    Options
    Thanks for the inspiration!
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options

@Cookinbob whats your process on making the dough into pizza dough? I haven't gone further than the basic master recipe so far.  
    There is a pizza dough recipe in the first book. You replace 1/4 cup of water with olive oil. Every thing else is pretty much the same. I find the dough is very easy to work with. I usually get 3 nice pizzas from a batch. 
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @Thatgrimguy
    Brother seeing this thread reminded me about the starter you offered me. I got real busy Wednesday night with the holiday cooking and just simply forgot. I would of loved to had it brother. My apologies and loss. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    @Thatgrimguy Thanks, my wife loves to bake I just bought her that book for Christmas!

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    Cookinbob said:

There is a pizza dough recipe in the first book. You replace 1/4 cup of water with olive oil. Every thing else is pretty much the same. I find the dough is very easy to work with. I usually get 3 nice pizzas from a batch. 
    Nice. I need to look through the book. I must have missed the pizza dough recipe.  I bookmarked a ton of stuff my first time through and didn't have it.
  • krobertsmsn
    Options
    I just bought The New Artisan Bread in 5 Min on sale Amazon for $17. They also have a promo HOLIDAY 30 which took another $5.25 off so I got it for $12
    LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
    Rome, GA
  • Thatgrimguy
    edited November 2015
    Options
    SGH said:
    @Thatgrimguy
    Brother seeing this thread reminded me about the starter you offered me. I got real busy Wednesday night with the holiday cooking and just simply forgot. I would of loved to had it brother. My apologies and loss. 
    Just let me know anytime. I always have a few loaves in the fridge that just need to be formed and baked off.  I actually have been playing with brioche more lately. I made some incredible rolls for Thanksgiving.

I would love to experiment throwing some loaves in your Shirley or in the Vault.