Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Raise Kick Ash Basket to Sear

I'm wondering if anyone has played around with modifying or fabricating their KAB to raise it up close to the grate fit a good sear?

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Could always load the lump to top of fire ring and sear.
    Shut it down and re-use the lump on your next cook.
    Or just drop a smaller cooking grid on top the lump and sear. 
    Or just cave man on the lump.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Awesome photo Darian!
  • ckali7
    ckali7 Posts: 120
    Was thinking two tabs or a 1/2 moon shaped thingy wedged between the firebox and the top ring could suspend the KAB. 
  • Photo Egg
    ckali7 said:
    Was thinking two tabs or a 1/2 moon shaped thingy wedged between the firebox and the top ring could suspend the KAB. 
    Honestly, one of the coolest things about cooking on any grill is being able to adapt and try something new that works for you. The above mentioned ideas were not mine. They have been posted on this forum many times over.
    Give it a shot...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    Awesome photo Darian!
    Thank you.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Try dropping in a Woo with a smaller diameter cast iron grate down into the fire ring. OR BGE makes a 1/2 Fire Ring for the Large Eggs (or at least used to) if you need to get closer to the fire. 
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Somebody's got to play devil's advocate ... why bring the hot coals to the protein?  Why not bring the protein to the hot coals?

Get a CGS spider for a large.  That goes in the egg with the legs up (down in the notches) and a grill (cheap Weber grill or BGE CI grill ... or even a CI frying pan) is installed on the spider.  Works well 'cuz the spider and grill/pan is in place while the steak is being roasted on the raised, indirect level.  Use either a PSWoo2 or a AR for the raised indirect.  Pull it and set it aside when the steak is at core temp.  Then move the steak to the spider/grill set-up for the sear.

With the PSWoo or AR approach, you're handling stuff at 300 degrees instead of hot coals at 1000 degrees.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Try dropping in a Woo with a smaller diameter cast iron grate down into the fire ring. OR BGE makes a 1/2 Fire Ring for the Large Eggs (or at least used to) if you need to get closer to the fire. 
    I meant the Spider instead of the Woo as stated above. 
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Cooks illustrated has a recipe where you cook over a chimney starter, seems to me it would save some charcoal, but I haven't used the recipe yet. 
  • tfhanson
    tfhanson Posts: 219
    The Weber Charcoal grate, fits perfectly on the top ring of the large KAB.  I've started bringing the protein to the fire, works grate!!!!!
    Johns Creek, GA - LBGE and a some stuff
  • Bulitt
    Bulitt Posts: 17
    Somebody's got to play devil's advocate ... why bring the hot coals to the protein?  Why not bring the protein to the hot coals?

Get a CGS spider for a large.  That goes in the egg with the legs up (down in the notches) and a grill (cheap Weber grill or BGE CI grill ... or even a CI frying pan) is installed on the spider.  Works well 'cuz the spider and grill/pan is in place while the steak is being roasted on the raised, indirect level.  Use either a PSWoo2 or a AR for the raised indirect.  Pull it and set it aside when the steak is at core temp.  Then move the steak to the spider/grill set-up for the sear.

With the PSWoo or AR approach, you're handling stuff at 300 degrees instead of hot coals at 1000 degrees.

Good Idea Jeepster!  I have a woo2 and after roasting go to my weber gasser at about 600 to sear but I like your idea better.  Guess I need a spider!

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    edited December 2015
    Bulitt said:

... Guess I need a spider!

@Bulitt ... Don't forget to see your BGE dealer for a 13 inch CI grill (Model number 13CI) to fill the center of the spider.  CGS used to carry them, but I don't see one listed. 

Oh yes, CGS has a 10% discount until midnight tonight.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max