Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Moroccan Tangine

Options
Has anybody used one of these?  I love middle eastern and African food.  Do these really make a difference?

A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS

Comments

• Chef Charles
    Options
    This is one of the toys we have at home but we don't use it that often.  When I have used it, I have tended to make too much for the base.

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Here's a dated link to a blog by Tony who is an egger.
    http://bigtsbge.blogspot.com/2010/03/tagine-chicken-one-dish-meal.html
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Actually I thought this thread would have gotten more air under its wings! This was a hot topic for a while if you want to do a search since the archives were brought over here to this corporate forum.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,466
    Options
    Cook's Illustrated did a series of tests with this vessel compared to lidded cast-iron pieces, and couldn't detect a difference.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Options
    Botch said:
    Cook's Illustrated did a series of tests with this vessel compared to lidded cast-iron pieces, and couldn't detect a difference.  
    A lot of different types of cooking vessels rely to some extent on the placebo effect.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Back in my school years when I was working in a kitchen, we were using clay tagines for some marocan dishes on the menu.  The taste was awesome but I have been able to reproduce the same results with a dutch oven.  However, you need to take into account the wow factor.  I plan on getting one eventually.  I like the Staubs.

it is pretty small.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Options
    paqman said:
    ... However, you need to take into account the wow factor...
    And that is where the placebo effect kicks in - the theater of something seemingly exotic.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    I can't tell a quality difference in food cooked in a tangine vs a cast iron Dutch oven.  I decide which to use based on size/dimension differences.  My tangine is wider and shallower than my cast iron Dutch oven. It will hold more meat when braising. For example, my tangine will hold four lamb shanks while my Dutch oven will hold only three.  For stews/soups the vertical dimension of a Dutch oven wins out.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,035
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback.  Looks like another tool to keep my eye out for, but not a necessity (life changing).
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,035
    Options
    btw, @Little Steven holy smokes!  That cook looks killer.  Thanks for sharing.
  • Little Steven
    Options

Ozzie,

I'm not familiar with the Le Creuset one but make sure you can sear in it if you do get one. I would still use it in the egg over a Dutch oven for a North African meal. I think the geometry of the dome has a lot to do with the finished product. There are times I use the big hot thing in the kitchen and it unquestionably rocks in there. I've done chicken thighs with artichokes and preserved lemons and some lamb and rice dishes with dates and figs and stuff. they are really good for a family or la famiglia type of dinner

Steve 

Caledon, ON