Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is your favorite thermometer on sale this Black Friday? If not, thats ok too!

Options
Cindysue
Cindysue Posts: 22
edited November 2015 in EggHead Forum
after my bird cooked way to quick yesterday, i need to invest in a thermo that stays in the meat while it cooks.

I have a thermoworks thermopen instant read, but its time to step up.

sale or no sale, did your thermo perform yesterday as promised? 

P.s. Pulled the bird off in time but i was lucky i checked it early.....
Los Gatos, Ca (Bay Area, Northern California)
Lg. BGE

Comments

• DaveRichardson
    Options

I have two of the Bluetooth iGrill models.  Use one for the grate temp and one for the meat temp.  I can set alarms for the grate temp to if it vntures out of a range, it will alarm me.

I can also set the final temp that I want to pull the meat off at.  It will automatically go by the USDA recommendations, buy you can tweak to your likings.  Easy web interface, I will post the screen shots of the cook from yesterday if you'd like.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Grillinois
    Options
    We used a Thermoworks Dot for our turkey. Worked great. Even left the probe in while resting the bird. 
    Joliet, IL
    Large, Mini, Stoker, Smobot
  • Cindysue
    Options

...., I will post the screen shots of the cook from yesterday if you'd like.

Yes, please. And thank you!
    Los Gatos, Ca (Bay Area, Northern California)
    Lg. BGE
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Thermoworks has quite a bit of their product on sale from yesterday 'till Monday.  The new Mk4 thermopens are $79.20 ... that's almost stocking stuffer price.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    I've been using a Polder for at least 15 years now, it measures both food and pit temp with one probe (pit sensor is at the external end of the probe), it also functions as a timer.
    I had a Maverick 732 that worked twice, then one probe quit.  I bought a new set of probes and one still didn't work so I imagine something broke internal to the body.  Always had to dig out the instructions to program it too, not intuitive at all.  Won't get another one no matter how good a sale comes up.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    This is interesting for the $12 price tag.  

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/low_cost/rt345.html
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Papzi
    Papzi Posts: 39
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I use the iGrill2.  It comes with two meat probes and sends the info via bluetooth to my phone.  They are on sale today for $80 (vs $100 regular price). You can also get an ambient temp probe if you want as an add on option.  It can monitor up to 4 probes.  I've been really happy with it and I would buy it again.
    Montgomery, OH
    Large BGE
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Cindysue said:
    did your thermo perform yesterday as promised? 

Sister I have a IGrill2 that I caught on sale 6 or 7 months ago at Lowes. It's still unopened and in the box. I need to get it out and start using it. I actually bought it with the intention of using it on my insulated vertical cabinet, not my egg. However it would probably be real handy on the egg as well. Why have I not used it? Heck I don't know, just old and stuck in my ways I guess. Laziness is probably the biggest reason. But with that said, I think I will break it out and trial run it on the holiday cooks coming up. Hope that you had a great Thanksgiving sister. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• gearslut
    Options
    Jeez ya know.  this year i stuck my single probe 19$ cheapo thermometer from bed bath and beyond in the breast, set temp for 160 and forgot about it.  I did rotate and tent the bird half way through.   when the alarm went off it looked marvelous....pulled the bird and didn't even bother using the thermopen as I KNEW it was perfect... turned out that I even hit the estimated time of 12 min a pound on the cook..... - everyone agreed best bird ever.....
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    Cindysue said:

...., I will post the screen shots of the cook from yesterday if you'd like.

Yes, please. And thank you!
    Here ya go. It's really easy to set up and watch. I keep an iPad by the door to the back deck that lets me watch temps when I'm not inside or near enough for the Bluetooth range. 

Tge he last pic is part of their Black Friday sale. 20% is a good sale. I'll be buying some things tonight!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!