Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

overcooking a butt?

newsense
newsense Posts: 32
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
How long can I leave my 8-pound butt in the heated egg (225-250) after it has reached 205 degrees? The butt is at 197 right now, and I expect it will reach 205 within an hour or so, but we are not planning to eat for about six hours. I know I can wrap the meat and put it in a cooler for about three hours (I've done it before), but how long can it stay in the egg without drying out?[p]

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    coolergraph.gif
    <p />newsense,
    FWIW, you can keep that butt in the cooler more like 5-6 hours if you want. See my page below:[p]TNW

[ul][li]Holding Meat In A Cooler[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • I am also curious if the temp of the egg can be cranked down to 200 degrees when the butt has reached 190 in order to use the egg as a warmer, without drying out the butt?[p]Mine is at 189 now and we don't eat until 6PM. I would at least like to stretch the cook until the butt can make it to 6PM in a cooler. We are eating at a cabin with no electricity for a re-heat. Has anyone done this and if so, what were the results?[p]Thanks,
    PMS

• BunkyRub
    BunkyRub Posts: 52
    The Naked Whiz,
    Will wrapping the meat in aluminum foil work similar to a towel?

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Bunky Rub,[p]Not wanting to put words in the mouth of the Whiz, I think he probably meant wrapped in foil and then insulated by a towel. If you put it directly in a towel you better use the one that your wife really really hates because you'll never use it again for anything.