Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best/favorite single malt

Options
2»

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    edited November 2015
    Options
    The Macallan is a favorite for me.  Any age.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    fljoemon said:
    I used to buy The Suntori Yamazaki 18yr old for around $92/bottle. Ever since they won the award for the best single malt, it more than doubled in price. This is an excellent smooth whiskey that is very enjoyable to single malt drinkers.

damn you @fljoemon ....you just cost me some serious coin!  I hope to be sipping some Yamazaki 18 next week.   :) 
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    MaCallan 15 year is one of my favorites.
    I have this too. Good bottle for sure. 
  • pgprescott
    Options

Mickey said:
    I like this over the older. But that's just me. 

I know the 18 get all the accolades, but the 12 is the standard bearer for the regular guy scotch drinking world IMO. 
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    Wife stopped by at a very small liquor store near the house. Texted asking if I wanted scotch 

i asked for some Laphroaig but they had none

they didn't even have an Islay on the shelf. 

Said "i got Lagavulin 16.  It'll have to do i guess."  Hahaa

had to settle for L16. I think i'll be ok
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• radamo
    radamo Posts: 373
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Hands down Lagavulin 16.  But I lean towards the peaty side.  I do enjoy many other singles and Johnny Black but the Lagavulin is just so amazing. 
    Long Island, NY
  • platypusrex
    Options
    Macallan is my favorite as well, typically the 12 and think I agree I like the 12 over the 18. That said the 25 is the best... especially if someone else is buying.
    LBGE, platesetter, Stoker wifi, StokerX Mac software, Pit Pal for iOS, @HerringBigEgg on Twitter, joined forum in 2008
    Austin, TX
  • djbade
    djbade Posts: 10
    Options
    My dad was always a Johnnie Walker Black type of guy but one year we were introduced to the Johnnie Walker Platinum and the Double Black... The Platinum is great and the double black is peaty.  

This is Christmas a couple of years ago... 5-6 people and we almost finished all three... We had a great time!  
    Since then we've moved on to try a new brand / age of scotch for every holiday.

The Dalmore King Alexander III Highland Scotch Single Malt is really good and really expensive.  Had some last night in honor of Thanksgiving south of the border.  Glenlivet 12 is another favorite but a little stronger in flavor.

Kirkland (Montreal), Quebec, Canada
  • pgprescott
    Options
    djbade said:
    My dad was always a Johnnie Walker Black type of guy but one year we were introduced to the Johnnie Walker Platinum and the Double Black... The Platinum is great and the double black is peaty.  

This is Christmas a couple of years ago... 5-6 people and we almost finished all three... We had a great time!  
    Since then we've moved on to try a new brand / age of scotch for every holiday.

The Dalmore King Alexander III Highland Scotch Single Malt is really good and really expensive.  Had some last night in honor of Thanksgiving south of the border.  Glenlivet 12 is another favorite but a little stronger in flavor.

Love that stuff too. Lots of great highlands scotch out there. 
  • Steve753
    Steve753 Posts: 140
    Options
    I like Bowmore. It has some smoke to it, and is pretty smooth.
    Large Big Green Egg
    Weber Gold
    Old Smokey

San Diego, Ca
  • bweekes
    bweekes Posts: 725
    Options
    caliking said:
    I'm partial to the Islay single malts. Lagavulin Distiller's Edition is sex in a bottle. 
    +1
    Ajax, ON Canada
    (XL BGE, MED BGE, La Caja China #2, and the wife's Napoleon gasser)
  • schafe98
    Options
    Macallan for me.  if there was a gun to my head and I had to pick a specific year it would be the 18. 
    Vacaville, CA

LBGE, Weber Summit, UDS, Weber Classic, Weber Smokey Joe, La Caja China
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    4Runner said:
    fljoemon said:
    I used to buy The Suntori Yamazaki 18yr old for around $92/bottle. Ever since they won the award for the best single malt, it more than doubled in price. This is an excellent smooth whiskey that is very enjoyable to single malt drinkers.

damn you @fljoemon ....you just cost me some serious coin!  I hope to be sipping some Yamazaki 18 next week.   :) 
    @fljoemon - awaiting the appropriate time to enjoy.  

Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    oban is good stuff.  My all time favorite is dalmore tho.  It had the 'right' feel the first time i tried it