Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey Skin Darkening Too Fast?

Options
Hey all, I'm doing my first turkey and it's only been on for about an hour or so. The skin seems to be darkening really fast, here's a pic.

http://imgur.com/CERBjWY

Temp is currently set at 250, but will be raising to 350 in 30min or so. The bird is about 22lbs. 

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    You could flip it over so the breasts and legs are down for a while.  I would suggest flipping it now, then flip it back over when the breast is 140 or so and let it finish breast up so the skin gets the color you want.  

Another option is to use foil as a heat shield. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    I'm guessing you have some smoke wood in there? That will darken poultry fast. I would put that bird in a pan or at least put a drip pan to stop the drippings from burning if you bump to 350.

That looks fairly close to my 22 pounder in color that has been in for almost 1 hour @ 325, I'm doing Mad Max at the wife's request with a couple chunks of apple wood.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    can you put it in a pan,  give the sides some protection,  if not run some foil around it.  can tent with foil. the grid can be on the middle notches to keep the breast as low as possible in the dome.   make sure you are not sticking the thermometer with the bird,  can turn sideways to move away from the thermometer.   

there is a turkey video on our site using your set set up.

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Spatchcock it so it lays flat.  Put foil down on the edges of the grate to deflect the heat so the legs don't get burned.  22 lbs is a large bird for a LBGE.

Edit:  Didn't notice the AR at first, can you put a pan under it like Tom suggested?  Perhaps perpendicular to the bird so some of the pan deflects the heat on ththe edges?  

If you have the PS Woo, switch the setup.  The PS will protect more area than the AR oval stone.  Then foil the edges where the stone can't protect.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Looks fine to me. Foil if needed. 
  • Hungry Joe
    edited November 2015
    Options
    This is the before shot. 
  • Hungry Joe
    edited November 2015
    Options
    This is 3 hours in. I'm thinking it will be done sooner then I planned. Everything I read said around 15 minutes per pound but there is no way this will go 5 hours. Breast is 145 now. 
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    that is looking great, just tent with foil.  you should be ok.   you can start to back the temp down,  as if you were smoking it like a butt or brisket.  that will extend the cook.   tom
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    You'll be just fine. 
    Dave - Austin, TX