Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Forget the turkey... Favorite side

Options
2»

Comments

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    My mom's mashed potatoes and deviled eggs. She got to the point she no longer liked making either before she passed because every party she attended asked her to make those 2 haha.  

Deviled eggs are my ****. 
  • swordsmn
    swordsmn Posts: 683
    edited November 2015
    Options
    My grandmothers creamed corn, God rest her soul.  She'd send granddad to Cas Walker's (Knoxville grocer) for 1 darn ear of corn if she was short.  "Floyd, I need you to go to the store..."  Poor old guy. Circa early 1960's..  He was a retired Fire Chief of a station in or near the Oak Ridge nuke facilities.  They were the best.  Great memories.
    LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    My moms dressing. It's the first recipe I was worried about losing if anything ever to my mom. I know how to make it now. second is the pea salad

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    So many people love their mom's or wife's dressing.  I'd love to try out an awesome non-top secret recipe.  My dressing is good...it just won't be a stand out today.  
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    edited November 2015
    Options
    @cazzy my mom's is pretty much just a southern cornbread dressing. Just alot of sage. I'll see if I can get a recipe worked up. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I do smoked mashed potatoes every year. Red potatoes, parsnips. And onions pre boiled then roasted under the bird. Get a great smoked gravy and potatoes. Did them under a rack of pork this year to bring to Florida they are in the oven now.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I could not find parsnips this year, out everywhere.  I don't think I tried a parsnip until I was maybe 30 or 35, I love them.  Will be serving roasted carrots and sweet potatoes without them this year.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Lit said:
    I do smoked mashed potatoes every year. Red potatoes, parsnips. And onions pre boiled then roasted under the bird. Get a great smoked gravy and potatoes. Did them under a rack of pork this year to bring to Florida they are in the oven now.
    Bet those are good. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Double....you ain't right.......perhaps enjoying the day with the clampets? Happy Thanksgiving man =)
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Ten years ago or so I found a sweet potato recipe with chipotle chiles.  It's been my favorite ever since (never got into all the sweet marshmallow/brown sugar/pineapple kinda toppings).  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• swordsmn
    swordsmn Posts: 683
    Options
    Gotta add one more... String? Green beans - the kind that cook flat.  Mom would sit me down with a giant bowl and I would "de-vein" them.  Then she'd cook em with some type of ham bone, usually till they burned. Lol.  I came to love the blackened ones from the bottom of the pot.   

This year I bought a quart precooked from Matthews cafeteria, a local 1956 institution in Tucker, Ga.  I plan to scorch em in her memory later today!
    LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL
  • GaryLange
    Options
    I think may favorites are the Scalloped Corn Casserole and the Green Bean Casserole made with French Cut Green Beans like it is suppose to be made with.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Double....you ain't right.......perhaps enjoying the day with the clampets? Happy Thanksgiving man =)
    Fresh is better than canned...

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Davec433
    Davec433 Posts: 463
    Options
    Sweet potatoe casserole!
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    I dunno. I can't list dressing or giblet gravy - they aren't sides - they are essential to the meal; the heart of Thanksgiving. The turkey is just a carrier. I can't list pecan pie - it's a dessert and not a side. 
    Beyond the listed, I don't really care. I'm going to hurt myself with turkey, dressing, gravy, and pie. If I MUST choose, I'll pick sweet potatoes. Wait, can I pick alcohol as a side?
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Ma's Green Bean Casserole.  Know you're smilin' and laughin' at our azzes today, struggling to work together to do the job you did singlehandedly, for many years.  Love ya, miss ya.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Cindysue
    Options
    nolabrew said:
    My mom's neighbor when she was growing up always made amazing dressing. When my mom got married and moved from Asheville to Atlanta, she begged her neighbor for the recipe and her neighbor gave it to her with the condition that she never tells anyone else. My dad's sister, Mary, started begging my mom for the dressing recipe and since she was nervous about fitting in with her new relatives she gave her the recipe and made her promise not to tell anyone else. The next year, the Atlanta journal constitution held a contest for the best thanksgiving sides. Guess which dressing won. Only now it was called Mary's famous cornbread dressing. There's a lesson to be learned in all of this, but it escapes me. 
    So, what's the recipe?
    Los Gatos, Ca (Bay Area, Northern California)
    Lg. BGE
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Post #1...welcome 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Cindysue
    Options
    Thank you! Happy Thanksgiving!

I'm smoking a tumbled turkey.  Well not quite yet. Its only 9am here. 

Los Gatos, Ca (Bay Area, Northern California)
    Lg. BGE
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Damn, I love pickle wraps and deer sausage, with Lagunitas Little Sumpin Extra Ale and Jolly Rancher Apple Shine at 1000.  Brother is goin' with the Crown.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Bentgrass
    Options
    Corn casserole.  The only thing that gets fought over at the table.
    1. Bettendorf, Ia with lots of time in Chattanooga, Tn.  LBGE, plate setter, ar, Looft lighter, maverick et-735, Rutland gasket, Smokeware SS cap, Kickash basket, and lots of cast iron.