Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking Turkey - Help

ZZNupe
ZZNupe Posts: 19
edited November 2015 in EggHead Forum
Good morning,
I am having a issue with my Maverick 732 Thermometer.  Basically my probe for my food is reading at 142 and it has not been cooking for even an hour yet.  My dome thermostat is reading 300 but my Maverick is reading 241 (a full 50 degrees diff).  Can anyone shed any light on this??

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    How big of bird?   The difference between the dome and grate is pretty standard and will generally even out over the duration of a cook.   The positioning of the grate probe may be to close to the bird and giving off readings.   For the food temp I would prolly move the probe to another spot to verify temp or check with a different thermo.  That sounds pretty quick to reach 142.  Are you sure that you dome thermo is accurate?  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Smoker317
    Smoker317 Posts: 238
    edited November 2015
    Are you using a plate setter, drip pan?  Assuming yes, if part of the turkey hanging over the plate setter and catching heat where the thermometer is located? Is the probe stuck in the thick part of the thigh, but not touching bone?  Too shallow or too deep will give false readings.  

If only an hour, there will be a considerable difference between dome temp and grate temp which will level off and get close after about three hours for my egg.

What size egg are you using?
    Egghead since November 2014, XL-BGE & ET-732
    Smobot
    Living near Indy
    36" Blackstone
  • ZZNupe
    Turkey size 11.5lbs...Egg size XL....will check were prob is stuck and try to reposition will also try Thermopen so check reading. Yes drip pan is being used.
  • PASmoke
    PASmoke Posts: 279
    I bet you pushed through into the cavity of the bird....or close to it. Reposition the probe and it should be fine. Happened to me last year. Happy Thanksgiving! 
    Atlanta, GA - Large BGE x 2

• ZZNupe
    I repositioned the probe and it went down about 20 degrees to 124 and my thermapen read about the same
  • ZZNupe
    Does this sound about right?
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    And double check your turkey temp with another thermo. A bird that small can cook pretty quickly!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • PASmoke
    PASmoke Posts: 279
    Still sounds too high, too fast. I agree with @blind99 - check with another thermometer. 
    Atlanta, GA - Large BGE x 2

• ZZNupe
    I moved the thermometer to another part where is my thermapen was reading 133....I think something is off and I will just have to keep checking it with my thermapen....just don't want to keep opening the egg.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Once it's up and running the egg will recover temp pretty quickly.  Thermapen is great for getting a few readings quick in a few different spots. How's the bird doing? I imagine you're in the home stretch by now. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    quickly boil some water, pull either thermometer and  check for 212 accuracy.  in 15 minutes, you'll know if it is reading right.  if it is, then use it as your temp guide for peace of mind.    remember, thermomters lower will generally read lower than the dome.  make sure maverick is over your indirect piece. t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    @ZZNupe  Just to give you a point of reference I did a seven pound breast last night at 325* indirect and it took 2:15 to reach 160*.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE