Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt cook...

Options
SuperDave
SuperDave Posts: 319
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I put two 5 pound butts on at 7p.m. for pulled pork tomorrow around 1:00. I can't get the egg under 280º![p] Got a full load of lump just over the middle of the fire ring, Fire's been going about 3 hours and is at 280 or so and just about got the vents shut completly off. Anyone with an idea of whats going on? I'm pretty sure the dome is sealing right, gasket isn't leaking smoke.. ??[p] About 1/4 inch on the draft door, and 1/16" on the daisy wheel....Any clues?[p]

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    SuperDave[p]That sounds about right for those settings. Butts should be ready to sample for breakfast. How much lower do you want to go?[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Posts: 319
    Options
    thirdeye,
    I was hoping to keep them in the 250º range so they would go 14 to 16 hours... I don't plan on staying up all night with them so I'll probably not get them down to the 225~245º range... don't want to fret about the fire going out.
    They are running about 260º currently and progressing nicely.[p] I'll call it a night once it hits 270º and let the sanman keep an eye on them till morning!
    Thanks for the reply... I didn't want to let them go too fast. How long do they need in the cooler? 2 or 3 hours?[p]Thanks!

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    SuperDave,[p]They will need at least an hour of cooler time, but 2 or 3 won't hurt at all. It is a good idea to have a solid pit temp going before catching some sleep. If you wake this morning and find your target temp is nearing, you can ramp the fire down if you need to exrtend your cook. 14 to 16 hours is a long time for a 5# butt.[p]I'm about to put a butt and picnic on myself.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery