Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need to Cook 2 Birds...

Options
Having 30 people for dinner and have two 16# birds to do...

Have had great success doing raised direct Spatchcock and will do that for one for sure...

Planning around 80-90 minutes at 400, sound about right???

Wife really likes a roasted bird in the oven... (aroma in the house, blah blah)

What could I do if I wanted to spatchcock both birds? with the first one? cooler & towels?

I know we all hate "gassers" but still have one for when I don't have time, since I will be possibly using oven for bird, anyone have advice on how to use my gasser for sides?  I read online, to put a cookie sheet upside down to create an air gap... any additional advice or tips?

Sorry for all the questions...
Large BGE
Camp Chef 4 burner Griddle

Near Cleveland, Ohio

Comments

• highball
    Options
    Here is how I cook two 15 pounders in my pit barrel
  • shannonlcorum
    Options
    That looks so cool. Where did you get the hangers?  I've never seen those before.
    ShannyShooShoo 
    Owner of 1 Mini BGE and 1 Wood-fired Brick Oven.
    Mother of 4 boys, 1 obese feline, 1 mean-assed chow, 1 rowdy bulldog, and 6 completely spoiled sugar gliders
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    I think 90 minutes may be a little short on time.  You can spatchcock both, one in the oven and one in the egg.  I'd plan for 120-150 minutes.  Raised direct on the egg at 400F.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    First off; now you have reason for that second Egg! 
    I would spatchcock them. One then the other. Takes me about 90/100 mins. per bird. 
    My wife is the same. Wants the house to have "that" Thanksgiving aroma. She cooked one a couple of years ago (24 people) and I spatchcocked one. Lots of house cooked bird left (and she is a very good cook). 
    Keep it warm any way you have. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    @Mickey How big are the birds you've cooked?

Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Mickey
    Options
    RedSkip said:
    @Mickey How big are the birds you've cooked?

Like smaller birds: 11 to 13 max. Way easy to cook several. Or just add extra legs. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Two birds in the Vault!

Your time will be close...prolly a tad on the over at 400.  Just watch the color cause you can end up very dark at that temp.  Be ready to cover with foil after an hour.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • pileit1971
    Options
    Mickey said:
    First off; now you have reason for that second Egg! 
    I would spatchcock them. One then the other. Takes me about 90/100 mins. per bird. 
    My wife is the same. Wants the house to have "that" Thanksgiving aroma. She cooked one a couple of years ago (24 people) and I spatchcocked one. Lots of house cooked bird left (and she is a very good cook). 
    Keep it warm any way you have. 
    So can someone refresh my memory about the "Cooler" trick to keep them warm?  Just put in a foil pan wrapped up with foil and a towel???

So you are 90-100 minues per bird at about 11-13#

So If my 7th grade math is still good that is about 7-8 minutes per pound?

And I am going to do the coffee rub on the 2nd bird to try it out...
    Large BGE

Near Cleveland, Ohio
  • Mickey
    Options
    Lowest temp oven is best bet @pileit1971 . Cook to temp please, time is est. 
    enjoy

• pileit1971
    Options
    Oh I understand, still just making sure I don't have house full of people waiting for the bird coming up to temp..I am definitely a
    Large BGE

Near Cleveland, Ohio