Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Our little BBQ journey today

Options
The Cen-Tex Smoker
The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
edited November 2015 in EggHead Forum
Well, Eggcelcior and I were going to meet at La Barbecue today at 11 am but hangovers and kids got in the way so we didn't get there until almost 1. They were sold out of everything by noon! She said "we got our asses kicked so hard this morning we sold out in an hour". There we still cars streaming in but they didn't have a single rib to sell. Good for them, bad for us.

So I heard Ay-Ayron mention a "tex-mex BBQ Trailer that he really likes called Valentina's Tex Mex BBQ. There were 3 of us and we all wanted Cue so we loaded up the wagon and headed over to Valentina's. It was freaking awesome. 2nd best I've had behind Franklin's. It was like 90/10 pepper to salt, they cooked over red oak instead of the traditional post oak and Gasp! They even wrapped in foil! It was incredible. Huge smoky beef rib, killer lean and fatty brisket, great sausage and a really good snappy vinegary sauce. And it was in the parking lot of a Conoco station so we bought a 6 pack of shiner bock and crushed it. We ate over a pound each.

So, if you find yourself in S. Austin on Brodie lane just south of William Cannon, do yourself a favor and hit up Valentina's for some "almost as good as it gets" BBQ. They have some cool sammies and tacos too but we just went old school with a big pile of meat and bones on butcher paper. 

http://www.valentinastexmexbbq.com/our-food.html

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Will grab VI and head that way soon. Thanks
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Will grab VI and head that way soon. Thanks
    You won't be sorry. It was awesome. It's rustic (2 Academy pop up shaded tents and a few picnic tables) but don't be fooled by that. It's great bbq and not far from Gary's house.

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    Options
    I'm drooling just reading about it, no pictures needed  ;)
    canuckland
  • Eggpharmer
    Eggpharmer Posts: 482
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Next time you go, get a taco or two...they're freaking legit
    Austin, TX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Next time you go, get a taco or two...they're freaking legit
    definitely doing that. they looked awesome
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

I'm drooling just reading about it, no pictures needed  ;)
    we laughed because we ate it all and realized we didn't take any pics for the degenerates. 
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker, Tex Mex BBQ was our back up if LA BBQ was a bust.  Next time I will go there.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    xfire_ATX said:
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker, Tex Mex BBQ was our back up if LA BBQ was a bust.  Next time I will go there.
    Highly recommended

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Damn, I just drove through there.  Maybe this weekend.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Legume said:
    Hit me up. I'll go with. 
  • EggObsessed
    Options
    I couldn't agree more!!  We finally tried it for the first time last week and loved it!!  I've heard about it for so long, and new Aaron Franklin loves it, but didn't realize it was so close to where we live.  Score!!  We only tasted the brisket, and can't wait to try the pulled pork, especially on some breakfast tacos.
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I couldn't agree more!!  We finally tried it for the first time last week and loved it!!  I've heard about it for so long, and new Aaron Franklin loves it, but didn't realize it was so close to where we live.  Score!!  We only tasted the brisket, and can't wait to try the pulled pork, especially on some breakfast tacos.
    sounds like an egg gathering is in the works...
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I read stuff like this and just shake my head at the lines at Franklin's. There MUST be many many outstanding Q joints in Austin. Not to mention the rest of Texas. It's what you guys DO, eh? Not saying Franklin's isn't good, just that there has to be plenty of great Q elsewhere. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    I read stuff like this and just shake my head at the lines at Franklin's. There MUST be many many outstanding Q joints in Austin. Not to mention the rest of Texas. It's what you guys DO, eh? Not saying Franklin's isn't good, just that there has to be plenty of great Q elsewhere. 
    I read this stuff and it makes me kinda hate you Texans.  ;)
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited November 2015
    Options
    There IS great Q everywhere in Austin, just nobody is as consistent and as good as Franklin Barbecue.  It may be one of the easiest waits out there.  Chill in lawn chairs, while everyone is day drinking and talking about barbecue.   I haven't personally met anyone who regretted the experience...and yes, the line is part of the experience.  I don't expect you to change your opinion, so not sure why I'm bothering.  I get it though...you're old, stubborn and grumpy so no new tricks for you.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Legume said:
    Hit me up. I'll go with. 
    I'll spare you hanging with my parents.  Can you tear away for midweek lunch?

I usually avoid Brodie altogether after T'giving, but I'll go south of Cannon.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Legume said:
    Legume said:
    Hit me up. I'll go with. 
    I'll spare you hanging with my parents.  Can you tear away for midweek lunch?

I usually avoid Brodie altogether after T'giving, but I'll go south of Cannon.
    yep. I'm good during the week. I'm by there every day around 1 during the week

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    cazzy said:
    There IS great Q everywhere in Austin, just nobody is as consistent and as good as Franklin Barbecue.  It may be one of the easiest waits out there.  Chill in lawn chairs, while everyone is day drinking and talking about barbecue.   I haven't personally met anyone who regretted the experience...and yes, the line is part of the experience.  I don't expect you to change your opinion, so not sure why I'm bothering.  I get it though...you're old, stubborn and grumpy so no new tricks for you.
    Props for not mentioning his low sodium diet Carl!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • travisstrick
    Options
    Count me in
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    sounds like an egg gathering is in the works...
    A call please........
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    cazzy said:
    Are you on Franklin's payroll? That's the only thing I can figure. Not sure why you seem to take such delight in riding my ass, but you've done it since day one. Perhaps one of these days, you too will grow up. Whatever.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• cazzy
    Options
    cazzy said:
    Are you on Franklin's payroll? That's the only thing I can figure. Not sure why you seem to take such delight in riding my ass, but you've done it since day one. Perhaps one of these days, you too will grow up. Whatever.
    Haha...you're getting mad when you always go Bitter Beer Face and $hit on any thread that references Franklin BBQ.  Didn't your dear mother teach you not to be a Negative Nancy when you ain't got any value to add.  Sure I like to ride your a$$, cause you're everything people hate about old fvckers.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Damn, I'm sorry it was just CT and me(forum-wise) but I had a blast. He's a great host, y'all. Don't be shy. The point was on, uh, point and the flat was just behind Franklin. This is going to have to be a yearly ritual for me, eating (at least)1 pound of Texas' finest 3 days in a row. We asked for a "small" beef rib and it was still 2 lbs. 

If you all are going out with CT, don't see the doctor for a month or so. They won't be happy with your triglycerides.

Thanks again for the fun(and food)!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Sounds like fun. Get any rain? 
    Options
    cazzy said:
    Kinda like the experience at Jacques-Imos in New Orleans? Very long wait, but a sh!t ton of fun.... 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Damn, I'm sorry it was just CT and me(forum-wise) but I had a blast. He's a great host, y'all. Don't be shy. The point was on, uh, point and the flat was just behind Franklin. This is going to have to be a yearly ritual for me, eating (at least)1 pound of Texas' finest 3 days in a row. We asked for a "small" beef rib and it was still 2 lbs. 

If you all are going out with CT, don't see the doctor for a month or so. They won't be happy with your triglycerides.

Thanks again for the fun(and food)!
    'Twas good times. I ain't been right all day but I'm drinking my way through it. 
  • cazzy
    Options
    Phatchris said:
    cazzy said:
    Kinda like the experience at Jacques-Imos in New Orleans? Very long wait, but a sh!t ton of fun.... 
    Ya man...I don't even drink and I had fun in that line.  You meet some interesting people and most are passionate about eating BBQ.  What's not to love?!  :-D
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Sounds like a good time brother Tex. Happy Thanksgiving my friend. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    SGH said:
    Sounds like a good time brother Tex. Happy Thanksgiving my friend. 
    You too, Scottie. 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Nothing like 2 trashy trailer parks and a few margaritas to cure the "beef malaise".