Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Am I the only one that loves turkey gizzards

Options
Damn good!

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    Usually in gravy or gets sent home with my MIL. She always appreciates it
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    We peel & grind them for our dressing.  This year I'm doing a new dressing recipe without the giblets.  Never thought about egging da gizzard.  
    Flint, Michigan
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    edited November 2015
    Options
    You're in luck Mick! You can have all my chicken and turkey gizzards for life!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    RRP said:
    You're in luck Mick! You can have all my chicken and turkey gizzards for life!
    Will trade you for my livers for life. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• RRP
    Options
    Never even tasted a gizzard until I was 68. On a lark I bought a dozen from a local chicken specialty restaurant which supposedly had the best gizzards in town. Took one bite chewed it around, spit it out and gave the other 11 to my b-i-l. 
  • bi11fish
    Options
    Gizzards are definitely an acquired taste. That being said I do like well prepared innards.
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    yes you are...   BLECCHHHHHH!!!!!!! (and that goes for livers and hearts as well)
  • Mickey
    Options
    onedbguru said:
    yes you are...   BLECCHHHHHH!!!!!!! (and that goes for livers and hearts as well)
    With you on livers! But like the hearts =)

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @Mickey
    Brother we love them. I prefer them soaked in buttermilk for about 12 hours and then dusted and deep fried. Serve with collard greens and sweet potatoes and you have a true southern staple my friend. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Mickey
    Options
    @SGH toss next turkey one on grill next turkey cook. 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Mickey said:
    I sure will brother. You haven't steered me wrong yet my friend. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• RRP
    Options
    SGH said:

Brother we love them. I prefer them soaked in buttermilk for about 12 hours and then dusted and deep fried. Serve with collard greens and sweet potatoes and you have a true southern staple my friend. 
    always made me wonder - fine, you got the gizzards, but who got  all the chickens?
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    edited November 2015
    Options
    You're not alone, but I love turkey azz even more  =)
    canuckland
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Mickey said:
    @Mickey - Do you marinade yours?
    Flint, Michigan
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Never had one. "Gizzard" just doesn't sound like an edible thing. =)

Chicken livers, OTOH, are perhaps the best part of the bird. Never had a turkey liver.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Mickey
    Options
    Mickey said:
    @Mickey - Do you marinade yours?
    No, that one had some coffee rub and that is all. 
    I have used Bad Byrons Butt Rub and works well. 

• omigosh
    Options
    Gizzards and hearts are the best part!

Irmo, SC  LBGE and MiniMax

• bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    I like both turkey and chicken gizzards.  I cook them  in a cast iron skillet with a little butter and oil.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Catfish like them...
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    I've used it in the giblet gravy... But tomorrow it's getting egged. Looks good!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    My mother used to pan fry gizzards in some sauce when I was young. I liked them. When I went to Brazil they all eat chicken hearts when doing BBQ so I figured, when in Brazil... I thought they tasted a lot like gizzard so I ate quite few of them.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options

I like them chicken and turkey, hearts and liver too! Good eats for sure. I always just put some rub on them and on the egg with the bird and I eat them as soon as they are done. Oh and no one else in the family likes them lucky me. :)

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,364
    Options
    Love gizzards. Can eat a couple pounds of good fried chicken gizzards with hot sauce 
    Jacksonville FL
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Just ain't gonna happen.....  Some things are not made to eat!  
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    I married a Pennsylvania yankee and she and her family would fight over internal organs.  I prefer to use them in the gravy and not have them so prominent on the palate.  Giblet gravy = great.  Hunk of organ in my mouth = no thanks
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius.