Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcock turkey; direct or indirect ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    carl292 said:
    Mickey are you putting the rub only on the skin or skin,  under the skin and flippn for the bottom side too. Whats your system to an awesome looking bird like that.  Butter, Evvo. 
    Also,  i found some coffee rub already made up in the spice Isle and winn dixie. Is this sufficient? Thanks
    I just put it on the top. That color comes from less than a hand full of cherry chips. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    XLBalco said:
    didnt want to start a new thread but had a question on the spatch... spatching the chickens haven't been a big deal but spatching a big turkey has been an issue with my shears... I have a decent set but struggle to get thru it... any tips or suggestions on removing the backbone?
    Try a big, serrated bread knife or slicer. I haven't tried it on a turkey, but I'm about to. Works well on a chicken.
    Okay, the serrated knife worked well. Only an 11 lb bird though so YMMV.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• flachick
    Options
    RodgerB said:
    flachick said:
    I made a 12 pound spatchcock turkey today, raised direct. 375, 2nd grate on a couple of fire bricks from Home Depot. Perfection!
    Time start to finish?
    I was looking for 160/180 breast and thigh. I think it took about an hour and 45 minutes. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,391
    Options
    Another handy device for spatching a turkey (before too many adult supervisory beverages) is a hatchet.  Makes short work of the project.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • XLBalco
    XLBalco Posts: 607
    Options
    XLBalco said:
    didnt want to start a new thread but had a question on the spatch... spatching the chickens haven't been a big deal but spatching a big turkey has been an issue with my shears... I have a decent set but struggle to get thru it... any tips or suggestions on removing the backbone?
    Try a big, serrated bread knife or slicer. I haven't tried it on a turkey, but I'm about to. Works well on a chicken.
    Okay, the serrated knife worked well. Only an 11 lb bird though so YMMV.
    thanks... I will have to try it out. I think it is a 15lb bird
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Spatchcocked Turkey and Chicken on the Big Green Egg
    (you cut out the backbone and cook opened)
    I like a 11/12 lb bird. If I need lots of turkey I just cook a couple ( 1 & 1/2  hr cook app)
    Chicken 3 to 4.5lb bird or birds. Under an hour cook. 
    Or, just add a package of legs extra. 
    I do not brine the turkey or Chicken. 
    If time I like to leave uncovered in the fridge overnight (no problem if no time) 
    I cook "direct" @ 400 on a raised grill "skin side up" and never turn over.
    I will use a coffee rub. Use what you like.
    NOTE PLEASE (A LOT OF SMOKE IS NOT YOU FRIEND)
    I use about a single handfull of mixed chips: Cherry & Pecan. 
    Cook to temp (not time) breast @ 165 and thigh @ 175

Coffee Rub (turkey, chicken, beef & pork)
    Equal part: Instant Expresso Ground coffee..
    Equal part: Brown Sugar..
    ½ part: Black Pepper..
    ½ part: Kosher Salt..
    ½ part: Garlic Powder..
    ¾ part: Ancho Chili Powder..
      Don't worry on exact, just close on measurement. I used to use turbinado sugar but we like with brown better. This is pulled from MollyShark, Hungry Man, & Richard In Fl then tweaked. I find the ancho chili powder is far less expensive in the bulk spice area than the bottled area ( have used both light or dark version). I make it starting with a half cup Instant Expresso Ground coffee and work from there as it seems to store well if sealed.

Hey Mickey that looks Great, I have seen both Nola and SGH mention pulling at 150 in the breast and I assume it will continue to cook another 8/10 degrees, are you pulling at 165 breast or is that after the rest. BIG THANKS!
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • Mickey
    Options
    @Grillmagic I pull 5 to seven early
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    Mickey said:
    @Grillmagic I pull 5 to seven early

Thanks!
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • HTTRQ
    HTTRQ Posts: 19
    Options
    The best results I've got were at 300, raised, direct. I'm a big fan of the flavor from the fat smoke.  

• XLBalco
    XLBalco Posts: 607
    Options
    question on temp and time... cooking direct and cooking to temp is obvious... but as far as time- roughly 2 hours if I am trying to plan it out at 400?
  • DocWonmug
    Options
    Kevvo said:
    Newbie here, quick question; is "raised direct" simply grate w/o plate-setter or do I need an extender in order to "raise" grate? Thank you for your response!

Didn't see where anybody answered you on the raised direct. Raised means having the grate as high as the top of the open BGE. One easy way is to put in the lower grate (I usually use the wire grate on the bottom). Then get three "standard" fired bricks, get the fired bricks, not cement bricks. Set them at 120 degrees around the perimeter of the BGE. Then put on the cast iron grate. It comes out at just the same height as the top rim of the BGE, at least in the large BGE. The bricks cost about a buck each....

Direct means no platesetter.
    LBGE
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    @mickey good to see the master back in action.  That bird looks great!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • tisoypops
    Options
    @Mickey if I don't have espresso, will any coffee work? I have Italian roast but want to try the coffee rub for the first time today
    LBGE | Conroe, TX
  • FaceDance
    Options
    I think because it's "instant" espresso it dissolves with heat/moisture versus regular ground coffee which could be gritty.
    South Florida - Large BGE (DOB:  12/07/2013)
  • tisoypops
    Options
    Good point @FaceDance I was thinking I needed instant. Oh well, I spose I'll wait till next turkey to try the coffee rub. 
    LBGE | Conroe, TX
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    The 12-15 min per pound rule is not always true. 11b, indirect at 350....2 hours. In the yeti. 

Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Mickey
    edited November 2015
    Options
    tisoypops said:
    @Mickey if I don't have espresso, will any coffee work? I have Italian roast but want to try the coffee rub for the first time today
    Just be sure it's a fine grind or regrind super fine. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,391
    edited November 2015
    Options
    @henapple -dang, the 12  min rule only missed by 12 minutes.  Geez- If I could get that close on every cook I would sell my el cheapo Igloos.  Happy Thanksgiving.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • tisoypops
    Options
    That turkey looks great @henapple . Why do you use the roasting pan and that rack, out of curiosity, rather than just straight on the grid?
    LBGE | Conroe, TX
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I put a little chicken broth in it and save the drippings. 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    14.8lb, indirect 400*, spatchcocked with a drip pan under to catch drippings and make graving. Took almost exactly 2 hours.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    XLBalco said:
    Make sure you're cutting through the cartilage  not the bone. 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • EggHead_Bubba
    Options
    I spatched a turkey today and the legs hit 180 well before the breast was 160. I started with the legs facing the back and then spun it around after thinking the back was hotter than the front. By the time the breast hit 160, the leg was 190. Any thoughts on how to get them done closer together?

Rocky Top, TN — Large BGE • Cast Iron Grate & Platesetter • Rockwood Lump

• Mickey
    Options
    I spatched a turkey today and the legs hit 180 well before the breast was 160. I started with the legs facing the back and then spun it around after thinking the back was hotter than the front. By the time the breast hit 160, the leg was 190. Any thoughts on how to get them done closer together?
    Sometimes that happens to me. I just cut off the leg/thigh, remove and keep on cooking. No problems