Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcock turkey; direct or indirect ?

Looking for best practice from some of you folks that know more than I! Time is not particularly an issue. Any feedback much appreciated!

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Raised direct 375-400, skin up.  You'll love it.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Kevvo
    Kevvo Posts: 8
    Newbie here, quick question; is "raised direct" simply grate w/o plate-setter or do I need an extender in order to "raise" grate? Thank you for your response!
  • bgebrent
    Need elevation to gasket level or a bit higher. Many options, cheap and expensive.  And Welcome aboard brother!  Please post your cook. 
  • I made a 12 pound spatchcock turkey today, raised direct. 375, 2nd grate on a couple of fire bricks from Home Depot. Perfection!
  • Kevvo
    Well, today I bought a 17 in. grid, some 4 in. bolts along with some washers & nuts and now am the proud owner of a $22 elevated grid! Thank you all for the feedback! Going to spatchcock my bird @ 375/400 raised direct (as suggested...). Assuming I need to put a drip pan on lower grid??
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Kevvo said:
    Well, today I bought a 17 in. grid, some 4 in. bolts along with some washers & nuts and now am the proud owner of a $22 elevated grid! Thank you all for the feedback! Going to spatchcock my bird @ 375/400 raised direct (as suggested...). Assuming I need to put a drip pan on lower grid??
    Awesome! Can you post some pictures of it? I hVe been wanting to do one
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Spatchcocked Turkey and Chicken on the Big Green Egg
    (you cut out the backbone and cook opened)
    I like a 11/12 lb bird. If I need lots of turkey I just cook a couple ( 1 & 1/2  hr cook app)
    Chicken 3 to 4.5lb bird or birds. Under an hour cook. 
    Or, just add a package of legs extra. 
    I do not brine the turkey or Chicken. 
    If time I like to leave uncovered in the fridge overnight (no problem if no time) 
    I cook "direct" @ 400 on a raised grill "skin side up" and never turn over.
    I will use a coffee rub. Use what you like.
    NOTE PLEASE (A LOT OF SMOKE IS NOT YOU FRIEND)
    I use about a single handfull of mixed chips: Cherry & Pecan. 
    Cook to temp (not time) breast @ 165 and thigh @ 175

Coffee Rub (turkey, chicken, beef & pork)
    Equal part: Instant Expresso Ground coffee..
    Equal part: Brown Sugar..
    ½ part: Black Pepper..
    ½ part: Kosher Salt..
    ½ part: Garlic Powder..
    ¾ part: Ancho Chili Powder..
      Don't worry on exact, just close on measurement. I used to use turbinado sugar but we like with brown better. This is pulled from MollyShark, Hungry Man, & Richard In Fl then tweaked. I find the ancho chili powder is far less expensive in the bulk spice area than the bottled area ( have used both light or dark version). I make it starting with a half cup Instant Expresso Ground coffee and work from there as it seems to store well if sealed.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Kevvo said:
    If you put a drip pan under the bird, then doesn't that become an indirect cook?
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Kevvo
    ergo my question....
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    No drip pan needed 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • carl292
    carl292 Posts: 44
    edited November 2015
    Mickey that turkey looks awesome...  So your temp is 400 at gasket grate level or dome.  Thanks
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    @Mickey ... Thanks You. Bookmarked!
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,797
    If you look at Mickey's pic, there is no drip pan.  It is raised and direct.  If you don't raise it the meat and skin get licked by the flames and burned.  So this isn't one of those cooks where you load in as much lump as you can cram in the egg.  You want some distance between the fire and the bird. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Mickey
    carl292 said:
    Mickey that turkey looks awesome...  So your temp is 400 at gasket grate level or dome.  Thanks
    Dome from the temp gauge 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• flachick said:
    I made a 12 pound spatchcock turkey today, raised direct. 375, 2nd grate on a couple of fire bricks from Home Depot. Perfection!
    Time start to finish?
    Just a simple retired Weed guy who loves to cook, travel, and enjoy my farm and hunting and fishing. And gardening, and whatever the Missus requires.
  • Thanks Mickey....  Planning on using my DigiQ temp probe at gasket level. So I'll  set it for 375 and be good to go.... Cheers
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I go indirect with spatchcock everything. HOT. 400 plus F.  No oil on the skin.
    (you cut out the backbone and cook opened)
    I like a 11/12 lb bird. If I need lots of turkey I just cook a couple ( 1 & 1/2  hr cook app)
    Chicken 3 to 4.5lb bird or birds. Under an hour cook. 
    Or, just add a package of legs extra. 
    I do not brine the turkey or Chicken. 
    If time I like to leave uncovered in the fridge overnight (no problem if no time) 
    I cook "direct" @ 400 on a raised grill "skin side up" and never turn over.
    I will use a coffee rub. Use what you like.
    NOTE PLEASE (A LOT OF SMOKE IS NOT YOU FRIEND)
    I use about a single handfull of mixed chips: Cherry & Pecan. 
    Cook to temp (not time) breast @ 165 and thigh @ 175

Coffee Rub (turkey, chicken, beef & pork)
    Equal part: Instant Expresso Ground coffee..
    Equal part: Brown Sugar..
    ½ part: Black Pepper..
    ½ part: Kosher Salt..
    ½ part: Garlic Powder..
    ¾ part: Ancho Chili Powder..
      Don't worry on exact, just close on measurement. I used to use turbinado sugar but we like with brown better. This is pulled from MollyShark, Hungry Man, & Richard In Fl then tweaked. I find the ancho chili powder is far less expensive in the bulk spice area than the bottled area ( have used both light or dark version). I make it starting with a half cup Instant Expresso Ground coffee and work from there as it seems to store well if sealed.

Aside from the coffee rub, do you brine or inject the turkey?
  • Mickey
    @HolySmoke I do not brine or inject spatchcock turkeys. I do brine turkey breasts if just cooking them. 

• What is the largest bird you could so spatchcock on a Large?  I have a 15# bird.
    Large BGE
    Camp Chef 4 burner Griddle

Near Cleveland, Ohio
  • bgebrent
    Trust @Mickey as his advice is sage advice.
  • Mickey,

Sure you have been asked this before, is there a good substitution for the coffee grounds?  I am not a coffee/taste fan at all... just curious what the taste will be like...

Thanks!!!
    Large BGE
    Camp Chef 4 burner Griddle

Near Cleveland, Ohio
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Mickey,

Sure you have been asked this before, is there a good substitution for the coffee grounds?  I am not a coffee/taste fan at all... just curious what the taste will be like...

Thanks!!!
    You can not taste the coffee.
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • Mickey
    edited November 2015
    Mickey,

Thanks!!!
    No coffee taste at all. My granddaughters will not have steak w/o it and they are not into coffee. 
    Also a 15 lb bird will fit (just fit) a Large. You can always trim the end of the wings. 
    Take a look in your message box. 

• RRog17
    RRog17 Posts: 562
    Want kind of coffe do you use?
    Canton, GA
    LBGE, Joe Jr., 28” Blackstone
  • Mickey
    RRog17 said:
    Want kind of coffe do you use?
    Any instant espresso is fine. 

• Mickey are you putting the rub only on the skin or skin,  under the skin and flippn for the bottom side too. Whats your system to an awesome looking bird like that.  Butter, Evvo. 
    Also,  i found some coffee rub already made up in the spice Isle and winn dixie. Is this sufficient? Thanks
  • XLBalco
    XLBalco Posts: 607
    didnt want to start a new thread but had a question on the spatch... spatching the chickens haven't been a big deal but spatching a big turkey has been an issue with my shears... I have a decent set but struggle to get thru it... any tips or suggestions on removing the backbone?
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited November 2015
    XLBalco said:
    didnt want to start a new thread but had a question on the spatch... spatching the chickens haven't been a big deal but spatching a big turkey has been an issue with my shears... I have a decent set but struggle to get thru it... any tips or suggestions on removing the backbone?
    Try a big, serrated bread knife or slicer. I haven't tried it on a turkey, but I'm about to. Works well on a chicken.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• New set of pruning shears work great