Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Must have toys?

Options
Hi all! Just got my Large Egg set up sunday...spatchcoked a chicken to break it in and was very happy!

the question is...what accessories should I put on my xmas list???

Comments

• Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    Options

Gift certificates.  If your family and friends give you those for Christmas - and if you don't use them for at least 10 cooks, you'll have fewer unused toys to get rid of later.

If you've only been set up for 3 days, I suggest that you try your best to resist the impulse . . . until you've had a chance to see what you really need - and what you will really use.

There's a whole industry that's quite adept at flashing shiny gadgets before us that seem like really nifty ideas - until you know better.

I speak from experience.

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• BizGreenEgg
    Options
    Adjustable rig from Ceramic Grill Store.
    Large BGE & mini stepchild & a KJ Jr.
    The damp PNW 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    edited November 2015
    Options
    What you need (vs want) is a way to cook raised direct and indirect and an instant read thermo. The thermopen or thermopop are the thermos of choice. There are many options for the cooking set-ups.  Easiest is to get a few fire bricks that will double as a heat deflector and support for raised grid. Simple raised grid is to pound three aluminum canned beers then use those for the elevation.  A second (weber 17" is a good fit) grid makes the whole thing quite easy to work with. 
    Once you get more comfortable with the BGE or you have no worries about loading up your Xmas list-give the ceramic grill store a look, linked here;  http://ceramicgrillstore.com  the site can be a bit of a challenge to sort out the first go 'round so give them a call and you will be steered in the right direction.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    One of the best investments that you can make if you are serious about cooking is a quality instant read thermometer. The Thermapen is a great one. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• marysvilleegger
    Options
    Vacuum sealer, Dexter scalloped knife, slicer, pink salt, 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    I agree with @Sardonicus with the exception of a Thermopen. I regret buying a couple of cheaper thermometers before splurging for a Thermopen. The last thing you want is to get people sick...
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options

...try your best to resist the impulse . . . until you've had a chance to see what you really need - and what you will really use.

There's a whole industry that's quite adept at flashing shiny gadgets before us that seem like really nifty ideas - until you know better.

I speak from experience.
    AMEN!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Davec433
    Davec433 Posts: 463
    Options
    I'll second the AR and I'd throw in a smoke ware cap and maybe a Kick Ash Basket.
  • Jaime
    Jaime Posts: 87
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I Agree with the sages above.  Noone will dispute the utility of the thermapen.  It is practically this forums "challenge coin". Next will be how to raise the cooking surface.  If ur at all handy get clever for awhile with firebricks or bolts to attach a second grid above main one..   Yes eventually look at ceramic grill store's AR or the less $$ pswoo2.  Primo but $$$ stuff but hey it is fun and tasy.

If you get really nutty with $$$. You can look into fancy temp control systems with a blower, meat and pit probes. Etc. i went cyberq ...  others like flameboss 200 or stoker.   It is wise as you are beginning to try n master  maintaining a low n slow temp for several hrs for ribs, boston butts/pulled pork.  Just realize if you get frustrated, keep trying.  But remember  there is a $$ cheat to maintain rock solid 225,250 or 275 for 6,10+ hours.  

But DO go slow, read, ask questions and jerry rig till ur sure.   There are a few threads on here about our most regrettable purchases.   

Swordsmn stealing wifeys acct again

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    And this will be the last time I ever suggest you do not spend loads of money on something. Ever. You have been warned.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I would get the $29 Thermopop over the $100 Thermopen. I have both and really prefer the pop.

I cooked for 7 years with 0 accessories that weren't stock with my purchase (basically a Platesetter). I have all the toys now and they are nice but you really don't need anything other than a way to cook indirect, a good quick-read thermo, and a few cocktails. Everything else is gravy.

I agree 100%.

The toys with exception of a few are just to enhance your personal experience. That said, our personal experience and enjoyment is why most, if not all, of us are here doing this. Don't let anyone rain on your parade. You're gonna buy something you won't use much, oh well. Some of your purchases will be homeruns. 
    Good luck and enjoy. 
  • swordsmn
    swordsmn Posts: 683
    Options
    Glad the pop is so well received,  but you'll pry my 3 sec reading thermapen classic from my cold dead hands.  
    LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    swordsmn said:
    Glad the pop is so well received,  but you'll pry my 3 sec reading thermapen classic from my cold dead hands.  
    I have and love both but if I were a newb, I would buy the pop and spend that other $80 on other stuff. THEN go back and buy the pen anyway.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    swordsmn said:
    I have and love both but if I were a newb, I would buy the pop and spend that other $80 on other stuff. THEN go back and buy the pen anyway.

Just buy all the things he has. It will happen eventually anyway if you hang around here long enough.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    Pink butcher paper.. And rainbows... And unicorns and such
  • swordsmn
    swordsmn Posts: 683
    Options
    A unicorn must not be acquired until you are a year 2 egger
    LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Of the accessories discussed, there a handful than I've never heard anyone express regret over their purchase.  

A good instant read - Thermopop or pen
    Adjustable rig
    Welding gloves
    Phoenix 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Congrats on joining the asylum.  You've been given good advice by @blasting and some others but also hot air.  My advice to you is purchase slowly.  It's easy to spend a bunch of bread on stuff you don't need.  Figure out what you're really gonna be cooking and buy accordingly.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • claphamsa
    claphamsa Posts: 52
    edited November 2015
    Options
    ok, thanks for all the advice!  I have a large selection of thermos from previous smoker and my homebrewing.  I am a big pizza maker (tomato aversion means i have to make my own!) so a pizza stone is important, I see that pushing the pizza up towards the dome is very important, so ill be an adjustable rig!

• SloppyJoe
    Options
    Buy some bourbon at Wal Mart
  • Homebrewguy
    Options
    I'm a little more particular about my bourbon. I doubt Walmart carries the ones I prefer with the exception of Woodford Reserve.
    LBGE & Masterbuilt 30" Stainless Electric Digital Smokehouse w/Cold Smoker
  • BIll-W221
    Options
    CGS will have everything you need to get the pie high in the sky, the AR with extender will do the job. Keep a close eye on your wallet, it can get pricey on this site, wait till the cooler talk starts  lol

• Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options

A vegetable/grill basket is handy when cooking small items that have a tendency to fall thru the grill.  

• claphamsa
    Options
    I'm a little more particular about my bourbon. I doubt Walmart carries the ones I prefer with the exception of Woodford Reserve.
    as am I, and walmart doesnt sell hooch around here
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    swordsmn said:

Yeah I'm thinking of getting a dog so it can chew up my thermapen.  I want the new mk II. 

On on the topic of gadgets how do you like your cyberq @swordsmn ?

gifts/gadgets I would recommend for a Xmas wish list- a pair of Pitt mitts. A good thermometer. A cast iron skillet or two. A salt block. Cookbooks. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    claphamsa said:
    ok, thanks for all the advice!  I have a large selection of thermos from previous smoker and my homebrewing.  I am a big pizza maker (tomato aversion means i have to make my own!) so a pizza stone is important, I see that pushing the pizza up towards the dome is very important, so ill be an adjustable rig!

I much prefer the Roswell Rig for doing pizzas, you can cook 2 at the same time and if only one it will get it as high as possible in the dome.

http://www.innovationsbychance.com/the-roswell-rig.html

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    swordsmn said:
    I like this more then the pop...and it's only $16
    http://thermoworks.com/products/low_cost/rt301wa.html

• Ivanhoe
    Ivanhoe Posts: 223
    Options
    I like my pops but the extra length of the thermapen comes in handy with those higher temp cooks!
    Tulare, CA - Large BGE
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Thermometer and meat.  2nd fridge or dedicated freezer if you don't have one.  Then just cook lots and get experience.  Master a few things, I suggest steak, pork butt, pork chops, spatched chicken and chicken wings, then you'll be on your way.