Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

6 butts on large?

smokinsop
smokinsop Posts: 180
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anybody ever get 6 on a large? About 7-8 lbs each

Comments

• Pick
    Pick Posts: 36
    smokinsop,
    I haven't but I have seen a picture on this forum of people that have.

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    smokinsop,
    I believe that Old Dave posted that he had done 6 on a large one time but he felt the quality of the end product suffered and that he wouldn't recommend over 4 butts. Maybe Dave can elaborate...[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • smokinsop
    The Naked Whiz,
    How about 4 on large. 2 on small. Any idea how long a small will burn with a load of WG comp blend?

• 1AMbutts.jpg
    <p />smokinsop,
    I was going to attempt it last weekend when I had my staff over for a get together. I couldn't even close the Egg. I ended up doing 4, then adding another half of one (about 4 lbs) later. It worked out very nicely and everyone was impressed. With that much meat, though, my coals burned out a lot faster and I had to add more about 16 hours into the cook, which created some problems, but it recovered. Good luck.

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    smokinsop,
    I don't know, but Old Dave has also posted about cooking two butts on a small! I guess we need Old Dave![p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • smokinsop,[p]I have done six but in my opinion, that is just too much on a large Egg for a quality cook. A fellow can do 4 large butts at one time and every one of them will come out the same and are a joy to cook. I have a picture of my setup for a 33 pound cook and this is about the most weight that I care to cook in the cooker. Like I have said many times, it's not how much you can pack into the cooker but how much you can get in there and still cook well. [p]Dave[p]24MVC-008E.jpg

• smokinsop
    Old Dave,
    Ever try 2 on a small? I have both. My concern was getting enough lump in the small for a 20 hr cook

• smokinsop,[p]My setup for the small Egg does allow me to cook two large butts at one time. However, I do add charcoal once during the cook but if your setup is right, this is easy. I also cook by grid temps and get all my butts done in less than 14 hours so I don't have any 20 hour cooks. [p]20mvc-009e.jpg[p]These two butts weighed a total of 16.82 pounds and I started them on their sides for the first 7-8 hours into the cook and got them laid down when I added charcoal.[p]20mvc-010e.jpg[p]These are the butts about done on the cooker and they look good. [p]Dave[p]