Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to determine age of a BGE

Options
I have purchased a used in great shape older BGE and want to find a way to get close to its actual age. Any key things to look for?  Thank you all  in advance, lot of every awesome cooks on this forum!!
Just a simple retired Weed guy who loves to cook, travel, and enjoy my farm and hunting and fishing. And gardening, and whatever the Missus requires.

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Welcome aboard. Do you have a picture of your BGE? This would be of help. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    If you want to know exact date, I suppose you could pull the id number inside the lid and call the headquarters 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    slovelad said:
    If you want to know exact date, I suppose you could pull the id number inside the lid and call the headquarters 
    That ID is just a recent thing.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP
    Options
    Like @NPHuskerFL said pictures would help, but if you can't post them tell us about the type of hinge it has and if the bottom vent is stainless or painted. Also does the fire ring curved slots on one side and none on the other? What size is your egg? 
  • RRP
    edited November 2015
    Options
    hiccup
  • RRP
    edited November 2015
    Options
    hiccup 
  • RodgerB
    Options
    Just a simple retired Weed guy who loves to cook, travel, and enjoy my farm and hunting and fishing. And gardening, and whatever the Missus requires.
  • RodgerB
    Options
    Hope this helps
  • RodgerB
    Options
    Bottom vent is stainless 
  • RRP
    Options
    That is an XL which already means it is relativily new! The dome will help date it as the original ones had a shorter, more squat dome. Hopefully someone else will come along shortly.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited November 2015
    Options
    You have a Extra Large Egg.
    It is not a first Generation run but not current model.
    First run did not have springs on the band but it is possible that was upgraded but I doubt because of the newer handle.
    First run did not have the wider, 2 hand grip.
    The newer firebox does not use the clips to hold the cast iron fire grate so your fire box is same as first gen. This box is also a little taller than the new model so if you order any custom stuff from places like Ceramic Grill Store you will need to let them know.
    You also have the first run style dome that is shorter. The new style is taller and shaped more like the Large BGE.
    I would guess the age of your XL as 5-8 years old.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Your nest/stand looks brand new...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Little Steven
    Options
    If I'm not mistaken it is an old style XL. Has to be at least 8 or 9 years cause they went with the higher dome in the XL at that point. What is the grid diameter?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    First, let me say welcome to the Eggdiction.  I don't know much about the older XL's other then what has already been said.  It looks to be in good shape.  Hope you got a good deal on it.  Looking forward to seeing some good cooks on it from you.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • RodgerB
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Your nest/stand looks brand new...it is

• RodgerB
    Options
    If I'm not mistaken it is an old style XL. Has to be at least 8 or 9 years cause they went with the higher dome in the XL at that point. What is the grid diameter?
    Cooking grate is 24 inches
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I have had two of those. The last one I got was in 06' but it was from 05' stock. It was supposed to be the "new" style with the shallower fire box and more egg shaped dome. They work fine but you pretty much have to cook on one level. Great for ribs.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    i bet those flatter domes were better for pizza as well, radiant heat down closer to the pie
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Little Steven
    Options
    i bet those flatter domes were better for pizza as well, radiant heat down closer to the pie

Not really, the platesetter had like 2" legs so you couldn't get the stone up very high. The pizza stone was an inch thick as was the platesetter so you really had to get a roaring fire going to get them both hot. I was supposed to get the new style when I got the second one.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Photo Egg
    edited November 2015
    Options
    This was from June 2006. Complete 1st Gen XL. My fist BGE cook.
    Notice the smaller handle, no springs, short legs on platesetter and no notches for the platesetter cut into the fire ring. Also first gen hand made Woo Ring...lol
    BGE introduced upgrades, for the most part, one at a time on the XL. 

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Little Steven
    Options
    You're right Darian, I got my first in '06 and the replacement in '08 or '09. My bad

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Photo Egg
    Options
    You're right Darian, I got my first in '06 and the replacement in '08 or '09. My bad
    I also got mine replaced about the same time you did and later purchased the new style dome that I "had" to have.lol
    I still have the old dome in my garage.
    I was thinking of turning it into a big, overhead "dome" light over my Eggs, but it's so heavy it's almost dangerous.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Don't extend it from the house man you might tip it over

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    RRP said:
    slovelad said:
    How did they do warranty claims before?
  • RodgerB
    Options
    Thank you alll

i ran the heat up slowly to about 670. Then dropped it back to 500-510. All that over about 6 hours. Its now going out.    Tomorrow ill take the innards back out and scrub them with a ball of alluminum foil as directed by local dealer to remove residue from doing the clean burn

ive done turkey for years on Weber so this wont be terrily different.  I plan to use a drip pan over the platesetter. Wish me luck come Thursday!!
  • RRP
    Options
    slovelad said:
    RRP said:
    slovelad said:
    How did they do warranty claims before?
    They were handled at the dealer level and depended on your relationship. Some dealers wanted to see a receipt and others didn't. The eggs used to come with a assembly/recipe book. In the front was a card to fill out registering you with the Mother Ship, but there was no ID. It basically was on an honor system and probably got abused.
  • swordsmn
    swordsmn Posts: 683
    Options
    I always thought you matched the dome pattern to @SGH 's. Azz cellulite. His age at the pattern match - 12.  Pics at flicker or so I hear
    LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    You cut it through the base and count the rings. ;)
    You cut it through the base and count the rings. ;)
    I may actually fit in here. 
  • swordsmn
    swordsmn Posts: 683
    Options
    Watch out for Fri PM banter about politics.  All world issues are debated with crass barbs.. Fun to watch
    LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL