Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pressure On - Turkey Transportation

WeberWho
WeberWho Posts: 11,025
edited November 2015 in EggHead Forum
After 4 or 5 years of telling my Mom I would do the turkey she finally gave me the green light last year.

Well....It's going to be a riot if it's not done on the Green Egg this year! :s 

Say whaaaat? My mom asked me if I would do a spare turkey for Thanksgiving that I could bring out to my aunt MJ's house. "I thought she was doing a 22lb turkey?" Well your sister invited her friend to Thanksgiving and her boyfriend decided to stay up in the Twin Cities. Her boyfriends response: "I'm getting sick of hearing about this damn turkey she had last Thanksgiving." I had to laugh. Great guy with a good personality. So how do I bring a smoked turkey to my aunts house and have it compete against her oven bird? I told my parents I couldn't do it. Just wouldn't be right.

Well....When at my parents last night my dad just randomly mentions, "Did you talk to your aunt MJ?" Um, no. "She was wondering if you could grill the turkey this year?" What!!!!!!  

The power of the egg! The turkey I've done in the past is stupid simple. Just some smoke with coffee rub and let the egg do it's thing! It's like I did some magic trick. ;) Really no big deal for me. I'll get the 22lb bird on the XL and the 14lb bird on the large. I'm glad to help out or more less put in charge! :o

So a long story short, what is the best way to keep a turkey hot? It's a 20-30 minute ride out to my aunt's place plus an additional 15+ minutes to set stuff up. If I wrap it in tin foil of sorts should I pull it off 5-10 degrees early as it will probably still be cooking. Thoughts? Thanks!
"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota

Comments

• I've got a much shorter drive this year, but I plan on letting it rest a min befor loosely wrapping for the drive. I wanna keep it warm but avoid the carry over. I've had bad experiences with FTC and poultry...
  • Turkey should rest a half hour anyway. 
    Foil will trap moisture (bad for crispy skin).

mom used to put tea towels on it if it was going to be a long time

warm up the car too. Hahaah
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    If you are traveling west of the cities, you are welcome to use one of my eggs

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• Unless you are eating when you arrive, consider putting the bird in the oven for a few before you serve.  Should help get the skin back to crispy. Check the temp when you get to your aunt's. 
    LBGE, SBGE, BGE Compact Custom Table, Weber Genesis E 310, Weber Kettle, iGrill2, UltraQ and a 36” Blackstone
    Kannapolis, NC
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Do you have a big cooler? Maybe line the bottom with a towel, add oven warmed bricks, then set the hot turkey on top. You could even pour in boiling water prior then pour out to pre warm the cooler. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    I have a 35-40 min drive to my aunt's house as well. My cousin asked me to fry a 2nd turkey at his mom's house. Too messy moving all that stuff so I plan to spatch a turkey on the egg and take it. Can't cooler it because it will keep on cooking and the skin will be too wet. I plan to put it in an aluminum pan and very loosely foil it. I've foiled a fried turkey before waiting for the second one to fry and by the time the second was done, the skin on the first was ruined from being foiled.

Mine is a just a 14+ pound turkey on the LBGE. I spatched it this evening, put on the rub and stuck it in the fridge. Supposed to be pouring rain here on Thursday. That'll be fun.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• If it is spatched it would cool more quickly than if you kept it together or trussed

we don't stuff with stuffing, but do jam the cavity with herbs, lemon, onion chunks, celery. That is a bit of a heat sink too and would help hold temps when travelling
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• LDR
    LDR Posts: 414
    I did a twenty pound turkey last week, and it got ready much earlier than I expected.  I put it into a 20 qt Yeti Roadie which I had prepped with boiling water (FTC).  Five hours later, it was still very warm - not hot like a pork butt would have been - but very warm.  A few minutes in the oven might have improved the skin.
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,112
    When I used to use my Side Smoker I would do two 12-15# turkeys, I would always put the 2nd one in a cooler loosely foiled.  Still hot and still good an hour + later.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I'm thinking I would use a foil pan inside of a cooler and just put the turkey without wrapping it.  Maybe leave the lid open or vented.  I think this would help keep it warm without steaming it too much. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• I've got an hour drive to the in laws - I've just accepted the fact that the skin will be no good.  Fried, baked, smoked - doesn't matter.  Can't keep the turkey hot and the skin crispy that long.  I've thought about just doing the turkey at their house but they only have one oven and it'll be in use all morning.  I've been putting the turkey in a foil pan and then inside a cooler to keep it warm. 
    XL BGE
    Plano, TX
  • WeberWho
    edited November 2015
    @GalanteNate_OneEa
    @Darby_Crenshaw
    @ndfaninnc
    @Jeremiah
    @Toxarch
    @LDR
    @xfire_ATX
    @SmokeyPitt
    @jimithing

Thank you all for the great suggestions! Very much appreciated. Happy turkeying!

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    @bigguy136 Thank you very much for the generous offer! It should be under a half hour as my aunt is in Waconia. Thanks again for the generosity! Hope you two have a wonderful Thanksgiving! Safe travels

Minnesota