Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Venison back strap

Options
Anyone got a  good recipe for venison. Tired of ground burger and Italian dressing marinade.

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    We make "pastrami" out of them. They are unreal. If you are comfortable with some entry level charcuterie, I'll send you the recipe. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    Nice buck!  Looks like a solid 18" spread.

Cut thin medallions, and marinade in Coke.
    Dredge in seasoned flour, pan fry.
    Cook with onions and make some gravy from the drippings.

Or grind it all into jalapeño cheddar sausage - ha.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Cut in medallions, dredge in flour and pan fry. Make gravy. Don't you dare make sausage from the backstrap. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Chetscapes
    Options
    No sausage,  just looking for a different seasoning routine.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Yes, bacon wrapped medallions, salt and pepper.  Partially precook bacon.  Pan fry?
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • leemschu
    leemschu Posts: 609
    Options
    Game on! And some hickory smoke for me. Specially if I leave meat whole like a roast.
    Dyersburg, TN
  • Chetscapes
    Options
    I ordered some Game On today. Can't wait to try it. Hope to get some more venison this weekend
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    Lots of ways to cook venison.  Low fat, great meat.   Wish I had some.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • eggsurance_agent
    Options
    If you have cooler/fridge access, hang the cleaned carcass for a week or two.  Cut the tenderloin into Filet Mignon size chunks.  Lightly coat in EVOO, sprinkle generously with Spicy Montreal steak seasoning or MC Holy Cow and red pepper flakes, then sprinkle some Worcestershire sauce on it and let it marinade at least an hour.  Throw on the grill like you would any steak to medium rare-medium.  It will be some of the best meat you have had!
    LBGE
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Venison is surprisingly good with a simple treatment….season, sear, never cook past medium rare, and slice thin against the grain. Nice buck!
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Chetscapes
    Options
    I debone the quarters.  put it in the fridge for week draining the meat lugs daily before I process it. It makes a big difference in the flavor of the meat.
  • ruger35
    Options
    Fried back strap is the best! 
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Forever LSU!
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Always cringe when I hear of people hacking up a deer during rigor mortis, instead of waiting until it ends.  And so many do it, then wonder why their deer tastes like crap.  Drowning perfectly good meat in marinades or covering with bacon is another common mistake.  Let the quality of your cut shine.    

Keep it simple.  Salt, season, sear.  Cooking it properly is the most important part, medium is overdone. 

Nice buck btw.  We'll be eatin' good too brother.   

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Couple of cooks recently I threw together with ground venison.
    Eggplant parm

Backstrap pasta

Frito Scoops app for Bears game

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."