Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whats your favorite CC?

Options

Comments

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited November 2015
    Options
    So, now we're going from home defense to clearing your house like special ops. lol
    Key word:  "SPECIAL FORCES"

You're gettin' all mall ninja on me man, or you've played too much Call Of Duty.
    You're own family could be behind those walls!

$400 would get you a RRA lower half. 

I'm aware of the Judge's issues, for some.  Just putting it out there that it will defend you or your house, be easy to use effectively with little practice, and more than likely keep the perp down but alive, in a high stress scenario.  Not everyone has family clearing the house drills, or wants to kill. 
    Thought you would appreciate that being so fearful of the law and all.  I know a PDX1 from it would put a hitch in my giddyup, if I got sprayed with one.   About the 25min mark of this vid.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRlry5KH6I0

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Davec433
    Davec433 Posts: 463
    Options
    @bgebrent , was looking for something for my wife the other day at the gun shop.  I looked at what I think was a Taurus .357 611, it was a matte black, revolver.  She's not looking to carry, just something for her, for home.  All I have are autos, and she doesn't do well with the slides.  

Thoughts?  
    I'd suggest either a wheel gun or a shotgun. Wheel guns are easy since you don't have to worry about magazine maintenance, stove pipes or any other malfunction just keep pulling till it stops firing. If your worried about what's behind the perp if you miss with your shotgun I'd recommend something like a Hatton round. We used them to breach doors knowing that once it took out the frame and locking mechanism that the round would disenegrate and not be lethal to anyone inside.

Cool video on some dudes testing out different breaching rounds for home defense.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=klT3fuy024E

since your talking home defense another cool article explains gross vs fine motor movements.

http://www.itstactical.com/warcom/firearms/do-we-really-lose-fine-motor-skills-under-shooting-stress/
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    edited November 2015
    Options
    SGH said:
    All you need is a cellphone with 911 programmed into your speed dial. That way no one gets hurt. Well except maybe you instead of the bad guy. But that's socially acceptable. 
    #AllLivesMatter
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    How did I miss this thread?  I carry a Kahr PM9.  For home defense, I have a number of weapons, but my current "go-to" is an S&W 686 .357 mag.  
    Flint, Michigan
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    @Fred19Flintstone, sorry you missed it but nice weaponry brother!  I love my Ruger .357 which is in one bedroom in our more rural place and my sig 9mm in my in town bedroom. I carry light. Sig .380.  
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I carry a Colt Defender .45 ACP. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • bgebrent
    Options
    @GATraveller, that's one fine piece!  Classic.  Love the .45.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I carry a Colt Defender .45 ACP. 
    I have my Dad's Colt 1911A1 Government Model .45 ACP.  I have been itching to take it to the range, but I've been so darn busy.
    Flint, Michigan
  • bgebrent
    Options
    @Fred19Flintstone, way classic 1911!  Hope you get to the range soon.  Dad would be very proud.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I prefer an AR10 while baddies are still outside.  After they breach the perimeter I switch to the 1911 chambered in 460 Rowland.  If they make it the sleeping quarters I switch to the Saiga 12.  The kids use G22s.  Simple and easy to use.  They know their shooting lanes.

If that fails we use Lar-15s with pistol uppers while we retreat.

Hopefully by then the police are here.  In my town their response time is around 7 minutes.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Legume said:
    I get a lot of looks from the ladies when I use it as a cc.

Dobie said:
    Hmmm ...

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    @FarmerTom, I'm with you brother.  Only folks who have experienced a home invasion can appreciate our thoughts on this matter.  When my daughter was 15 she was home alone too sick for school.  Couple thugs broke in but quietly. By the time they were coming upstairs she was on phone whispering to her Mom who hung up and dialed 911.   Daughter hid behind her bathroom shower curtain listening as they ransacked her room and cursed our dog for barking.   A hostage situation was possible so a team of four officers went in, cleared the house, found my daughter, surrounded her, guns drawn and did the hostage shuffle out of our house.  Tracking dog was brought in and they caught the f#cks a few blocks away breaking in to another house.  One was juvey, the other got out after two years in jail.  While our daughter was physically unharmed she has not recovered psychologically.   Sorry for my strong comments on self defense topic but it's an emotional one for me. 
    p.s. we've hardened the perimeter since then as well as installing an alarm system.  Plus a few other surprises for anyone who breaks in while we're home!
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Do any of you have a large caliber revolver like a .454 Casull, .480 Ruger, .500 S&W or the like? 
  • bgebrent
    Options
    .50 Desert Eagle.  Would that count?
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    That's a helluva semi auto with good energy but way too bulky for what I'm looking for. 
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    Difficult concealing a shotgun.   Mae West:  "Is that a gun in your pocket?  Or are you just happy to see me?"    A shotgun has an obvious answer.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • DoubleEgger
    edited November 2015
    Options
    bboulier said:
    Difficult concealing a shotgun.   Mae West:  "Is that a gun in your pocket?  Or are you just happy to see me?"    A shotgun has an obvious answer.
    Looking for something to carry hiking in bear country. I had a too close for comfort grizzly encounter and don't want a repeat unarmed in case spray doesn't work. 
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    bboulier said:
    Looking for something to carry hiking in bear country. I had a too close for comfort grizzly encounter and don't want a repeat unarmed in case spray doesn't work. 
    If you're looking for a large caliber revolver for protection in bear country, I would recommend you check out the Smith & Wesson model 29 .44 magnum. Dirty Harry's gun can stop a bear.   
    Flint, Michigan
  • NewNashEgg
    Options
    SA XDS 3.3" 9mm with talon grips in a N82 tactical holster around 4:30
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    CCs aren't really my thing, I'm more of a truck guy.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • GrillsGoneWild
    Options
    tarheelmatt said:
    @bgebrent , was looking for something for my wife the other day at the gun shop.  I looked at what I think was a Taurus .357 611, it was a matte black, revolver.  She's not looking to carry, just something for her, for home.  All I have are autos, and she doesn't do well with the slides.  

Thoughts?  

Thoughts?  

Sounds like you are on the way, but my advice is always go to a range that does rentals and find the right one by trial.  The best gun for anyone is one they shoot well.  All the armchair quarterback and internet tough guy talk about calibers and sizes and "scenarios" and blah blah blah is a distant second.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Bought this for CC and makes a very good wife gun. Sig P238 (.380) with a seven shot mag plus one in chamber. I did add softer grips. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Little Steven
    Options

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    At first, when I read "CC", I thought "constructive criticism".  The best ever for me was "don't be a douche".  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • bgebrent
    Options
    @Mickey, well I guess I'm the wife gun carrier ;).  I love my Sig p238 as an easy carry and efficient cc.  Hoping I can keep my man card.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Do any of you have a large caliber revolver like a .454 Casull, .480 Ruger, .500 S&W or the like? 
    I have a Freedom Arms single actoin with a 7 1/2 inch barrel chambered in 454 Casull. Trust me when I say that it's not the ideal home defense weapon. It is heavy, unwieldy, and recoil & muzzle blast is significant. Almost any handgun that you can think of is a far better choice for home defense than 454, 460 and 500. The guns are just far to big, heavy, unwieldy, and powerful for home defense. As potent as the 454 is, both the 460 and the 500 are even considerably more powerful. Inside of your home with no hearing protection, muzzle blast from any of the Big 3 would probably cause permanent irreversible hearing damage. Not to mention structural damage to your home. These hand cannons are far better served as hunting weapons than home defense weapons. As hunting weapons, they excel in this capacity. They are near the epitome of power in revolvers without going custom. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• bgebrent
    Options
    @SGH, brother Double is looking for a save your life grizzly bear gun.  He's discussed several.  To me, the Ruger SRH Alaskan 454 made the most sense for carry, shooting and reaquisition of target.  He was very close to a momma grizzly and walked away.  Need a wheel gun with more than one shot capability I think my friend in this scenario.
  • Mickey
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    @Mickey, well I guess I'm the wife gun carrier ;).  I love my Sig p238 as an easy carry and efficient cc.  Hoping I can keep my man card.
    I may have not been clear.  That is my CC and very easy for the wife to shoot as well. If I could have found a 15 round .380 by Sig or HK I would have that for a house gun. I have no problem with .380 and good ammo. Failing to find that I ended up with a HK VP9 in 9mm (15 round mags) for the house.  So I guess we both get to keep man cards with ruffels on the edge. I will bet soon one of those manufacturers will bring a larger .380 out. For now this is my house gun:

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Begging your pardon @Mickey , but I've never heard of anyone saying they want a bigger .380.  The virtue of the .380 pistol are their small size and conceilability.  (Is that a word?). Larger capacity mags are in 9mm.  I would be surprised if somebody made a larger capacity .380 because the 9mm, especially in larger capacity pistols, has a light recoil and thus easy to shoot.  I assume the reason you would like a larger capacity .380 would be for its lighter recoil.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Mickey
    Options
    Begging your pardon @Mickey , but I've never heard of anyone saying they want a bigger .380.  The virtue of the .380 pistol are their small size and conceilability.  (Is that a word?). Larger capacity mags are in 9mm.  I would be surprised if somebody made a larger capacity .380 because the 9mm, especially in larger capacity pistols, has a light recoil and thus easy to shoot.  I assume the reason you would like a larger capacity .380 would be for its lighter recoil.
    Yep, correct. I would be happy with the lighter recoil of a .380 house gun with a 15 mag. Hell, the gun could be near full size as its a house gun. Bet the .380 in a larger gun would shoot like a 22. Still need these: