Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2015 Salado Eggfest - Picture thread

Options
123457»

Comments

• 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    Very impressive, paratha from scratch too!
    <cough>
    The marinades were made from scratch, including roasting and grinding whole spices, the eggs were from dirty hippie chickens, and were broken on site, and the paratha required that we scratch the package open to put them on the tawa.

I think making paratha from scratch on site would have killed us
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

@Canugghead - I wish we had the skill to make paranthas from scratch! We cheated by using Kawan brand Malaysian "puff parantha". Flour tortillas wouldn't have been flaky, and as you know, kathi rolls gotta be a little greasy to be good :)

And making the paranthas from scratch would have quite surely killed us. I'd still be face down in the creek right now.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    Kid's got his own Jeep!! Looks like that right foot is peddle to the metal, left foot ready to mash the clutch up a gear!

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,532
    edited March 2015
    Options
    caliking said:

...It was 20stone's idea to make kathi rolls, and I'm glad we rolled (pun intended) with that plan. ...

ok, this is where I mis-assumed that you guys even made the paratha from scratch  =)  guess I read too much into it  :)

canuckland
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    When we have an after party it goes till someone ends up at the ER. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I got a note from Chris that Chris had went to the ED to see him. To me ED had a hell of a different meaning than ER being renamed. Hookups all on the wrong part of the body. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    sun's out, guns out!

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Just wait until he pulls those Combi pads off. 
  • 20stone
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Hookups all on the wrong part of the body. 
    Funny story!

I have what they call a "mild heart condition" (a-fib, which hadn't occurred in 2.5 years), which popped up when I heard Mickey was not hosting Salado anymore.

It normally takes rest, water and several hours to revert to normal, but this time the threat of a few joules of juice was all it took.  They were all set to zap me.  The doctor walked in, looked at the monitor, said (with a disappointed look on his face) "Perfect, sinus rhythm," turned around, and walked out.

At that point, everyone leaves, except they still have me plugged into the crash cart (e.g., the car battery).  The call button had been moved away, and I was too wired up to move.  That was about as relaxing as putting out my pork induced blowtorch on Saturday night.  The picture was taken when they finally unplugged me.

The funny thing about a-fib is that it's like hitting a TV to make the picture right (back in the day), once it was fixed, it's fixed.  Here I am skipping out of the ER, with @20stonespice a bit worn down by watching her hubby about to ride with Tesla.

@Eggcelsior had it right.  Those pads were FUN to take off.  I told the nurse that she could take a couple of them home as pets.

Next time - A little more sleep, a little less Smoky Mike
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Just wait until he pulls those Combi pads off. 
    man o' Lantern
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited March 2015
    Options
    SWMBO had a-fib, they had to zap her.  They'll give you the Michael Jackson milk before they turn on the juice....  stay on the blood thinners!   
    Options
    It's amazing how perfectly this represents @20stone's chest right now.

• 20stone
    Options
    SWMBO had a-fib, they had to zap her.  They'll give you the Michael Jackson milk before they turn on the juice....  stay on the blood thinners!   
    They were going to use something different that the MJ Milk, but I converted before I got it.

Blood thinners are a mixed blessing.  With my choice of fun, being able to clot is a good thing.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    @20stone They were probably going to give you midazolam. Amnesic benzos are fun, but you would never know.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    It's amazing how perfectly this represents @20stone's chest right now.

Kelly Clarkson 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    Love these photos!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options

We took a few pics this year and want to share them. Some of the meet and greet, Saturday Eggfest (early in the morning) and the after party. Enjoy. 

To view the slide show click on the link, Happy Egging!:

Hotch and Shelly

Posting 30 pics is a pita so here is the link, enjoy.

http://s1291.photobucket.com/user/hotchvb/slideshow/Salado%202015

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    Options
    thanks for sharing
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • EggObsessed
    EggObsessed Posts: 786
    Options
    Great pictures, @Hotch.  Thanks for taking them and sharing!
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • Mickey
    edited March 2015
    Options

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Mickey said:
    It's like there were two fests going on.  This was at Salado?  Wait..I did find two pictures with Travis lingering in the background.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Looks like I missed another awesome Salado Fest. :( So disappointed, but I'm sure lil Duke wouldn't have been able to hang (only 3 months old now). I will try extra hard to make it next year.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• andres1987
    Options
    i headed out there for a couple of hours, good times. i talked to several people but i didn't know their screen names.
    Austin, Texas
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    apinion said:
    Caliking and 20stone were by far busier than most cooks.  I think it was the labor intensive dish.  I also have to give it to a couple of ladies, of which I forgot your names and I'm sorry, who in my mind had the best presentation with 2 items.  They served the pastrami, mustard, pickle and rye as well as the duck, brie, something else.  It was a winner for sure.
    Well, I've been called worse but that was Janell and I. :)

We we had some help from Lisa Jones (20stone's wife) so you may have seen the 2 ladies serving and that would have been a bonus for anyone. 
    That duck was simply amazing! You really nailed the flavor combination. One of the best bites at the fest - and that's saying something! And please thank Janell and Lisa for their hard work too, if they are not on the forum much. What beautiful, gracious ladies they are!
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited March 2015
    Options
    PNWFoodie said:
    apinion said:
    Caliking and 20stone were by far busier than most cooks.  I think it was the labor intensive dish.  I also have to give it to a couple of ladies, of which I forgot your names and I'm sorry, who in my mind had the best presentation with 2 items.  They served the pastrami, mustard, pickle and rye as well as the duck, brie, something else.  It was a winner for sure.
    Well, I've been called worse but that was Janell and I. :)

We we had some help from Lisa Jones (20stone's wife) so you may have seen the 2 ladies serving and that would have been a bonus for anyone. 
    That duck was simply amazing! You really nailed the flavor combination. One of the best bites at the fest - and that's saying something! And please thank Janell and Lisa for their hard work too, if they are not on the forum much. What beautiful, gracious ladies they are!
    Thanks and I'll certainly let them know
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    apinion said:
    And I do have to give a shout out to a fellow forum member Eric Boone (forgot his handle). He provided the venison backstraps that we made into the Pastrami. That was some of the best pastrami I've had and the venison made it what it was. Thanks E!  I'll try to post the recipe but there were a lot of moving parts on this one.

Took a week to make. 3 days in the brine, a day to dry and cold smoke, and 2.5 days in the Sous Vide. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Great shirt @nolaegghead