Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg community has lost a great one

Options
Little Steven
Little Steven Posts: 28,817
edited November 2015 in EggHead Forum

Just been informed that Shane Wilson (Mr.Holloway) has passed way to young. Great guy!

WILSON, Shane Alan

Published:Oct 07, 2015

Event Date:Oct 05, 2015

Shane Alan WILSON

WILSON, Shane Alan 1967-2015 Passed away at Groves Memorial Hospital, Fergus on Monday, October 5, 2015 at the age of 48. Shane will be sadly missed by his loving wife Chris Wilson, sister Callie (Paul) Santin, niece Gabrielle (Gigi) Santin, nephews Elijah Santin and Taylor Wilson. Also mourning their loss are his stepchildren and fellow foodies Sarah and Nathan Patmore, mother Glenna (Red) Wilson and not to be forgotten, his boys Hollaway and Wilson. Predeceased by his father Cal Wilson (2003). Shane loved music (he played guitar and any other instrument with strings). One of his favourite things to do was cooking for his family (especially on his "big Green Egg"). He was known lovingly to his family as "Uncle Blues". Shane will be truly missed and never forgotten. In lieu of flowers, donations can be made to a trust fund set up to purchase musical instruments for people who can't afford them, the gift of music from Uncle Blues. There will be no formal funeral service. Arrangements entrusted to the Graham Giddy Funeral Home , Fergus. www.grahamgiddyfh.com (519)843-3100 "RIDE IN PARADISE WITH ZEPPELIN TURNED UP TO 11"

Category: Obituaries & Death Notices

Newspaper(s): Guelph Mercury

(0) Guest Book Messages

Join The Conversation Sign Up Login

Steve 

Caledon, ON

Comments

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    RIP brother.  Too young.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• FLgrillinGirl
    Options
    How very sad. I never got to meet him, but conversed with him many times on the old forum. Thanks for letting us know, Steven. He will be missed.
    Happily Egging since 1996, still egging on my original large BGE, along with 6 other Big Green Eggs of assorted sizes.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Wow...that is very sad.
    Thank you for posting Steven
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • GrillsGoneWild
    Options
    Way too young.  RIP
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Oh Man. Terrible. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I didn't know him, but I'm sorry to hear it just the same. Thoughts and prayers to his family and friends. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,512
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Thanks for sharing Steven, it's shocking and sad. We shared the tent at 2012 Toronto Eggfest, great couple, it was their first. 

Shane's post from that fest:
    http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1249000&catid=1

We even traded uncooked tandoori chicken for their homemade sausage coil, great memory! 

canuckland
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Rest in peace. I have no doubt that there is BBQ and Blues in heaven! See you on the other side.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    It's always shocking when someone so young leaves us. I enjoyed Shane's posts and seeing that big, beautiful white shepherd, "Mr. Holloway"...

RIP, Shane.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Little Steven
    Options
    How very sad. I never got to meet him, but conversed with him many times on the old forum. Thanks for letting us know, Steven. He will be missed.

Thanks Faith. I posted it on the original forum as well as he didn't participate over here a whole lot. I'm sure going to miss taking him to my local Indian for lunch a few times a year. So young.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    Options
    Prayers to family and friends. Like Little Steven says, lost one of the great ones. I never had a chance to meet him but always seemed like a top notch guy. Dang it.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Never got to meet him but enjoyed his posts over the years. Thank you Steven for the post. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Little Steven
    Options
    It's always shocking when someone so young leaves us. I enjoyed Shane's posts and seeing that big, beautiful white shepherd, "Mr. Holloway"...

RIP, Shane.

Thanks for that the pic Michael. I think we might use that on a banner for a tribute at the Toronto Eggfest. You should come up. It's like a seven hour drive

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Didn't know him, but it sure sounds like he was good people.  RIP
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Never interacted with him, but, I am sorry for the loss for everyone that did. A young man, way too soon. 
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Carolina Q
    Options

RIP, Shane.

Thanks for that the pic Michael. I think we might use that on a banner for a tribute at the Toronto Eggfest. You should come up. It's like a seven hour drive

Steve

I found several of Shane's pics of Mr. Holloway. He obviously loved that dog!! Here are a few more...

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Little Steven
    Options

RIP, Shane.

Steve

I found several of Shane's pics of Mr. Holloway. He obviously loved that dog!! Here are a few more...

Michael,

I was looking for a post he did about stew with pork neck. I couldn't find it. It told a story about his younger life. I would so appreciate it if you could find it.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Sorry, my friend. I tried, but I can't find it either. If I do, I'll let you know.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,037
    Options
    Sorry for the loss.  Sounds like a great guy, so young too.  Thoughts and prayers my friend.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    A good egger. Way too young.  RIP
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I don't think I've ever spoken with him, but it sounds like he was a helluvaguy.  RIP
    Flint, Michigan
  • Canugghead
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I don't think I've ever spoken with him, but it sounds like he was a helluvaguy.  RIP
    A Great guy indeed. RIP my friend, and my belated condolences to Chris and family.

Fred, I missed the 2013 TO eggfest that you attended, you would have met him if it wasn't for a mishap, see chocdoc's post:

chocdoc Posts: 456
    Sorry Gary - no pictures from me - except for the porchetta - caught it going on and coming off.

Mr Holloway reports having eaten some 'funky' chicken (at a restaurant) a few days before and being 'indisposed' on Saturday.  

They would have cooked up a storm otherwise.  I'm taking the liberty of sharing their menu with the forum, hope they don't mind.

Our menu was
     Peameal bacon with Chris's maple bread
     Mushroom bruschetta with smoke cheese
     Focaccia on the Egg with Chris's pasta sauce
     Chicken thighs 2 ways, Jerk and a home spice
     Bacon chocolate chip cookies(she premade 50)
    and was going to bake the rest there

canuckland
  • YYZegger
    YYZegger Posts: 231
    Options
    I didn't have the pleasure of meeting Shane a fellow Canadian Egger, but the loss of a family member or friend is tragic and all my thoughts go out to his family.
    Sorry if this seems insensitive, but I can't believe how his dog and my late dog look so alike. RIP  
    Toronto, Canada  LBGE
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    That stinks. Thanks for the heads up Steve.  R.I.P. Shane and warm thoughts go out to his family and friends.
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I didn't know him either, but it seems that he knew his way around an egg, and how to have good friends. 

Even those of us who didn't know him are saddened by his passing. Please let  the family know that many prayers are being sent their way. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Chef Charles
    Options

I never had the chance to meet Shane but I enjoyed his posts.  That is way too young to go.

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Little Steven, Thanks for posting what sad news. I first started trading spices for some maple syrup and maple sugar about 6-7 years ago with Shane.  Talked a few times over the phone.  One year he found out that my B-day was coming up and he asked what I would like for the event and I jokingly said a bottle of Single malt scotch.  A month or so later around Bday there was a very nice card with 2- $20 bills in it with the eggplanation that the Canadian govt did not  allow sending whiskey in the mail so apply the $$ to a nice bottle which I did . Tonight I will raise a glass of single in his memory. RIP
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited November 2015
    Options
    That's exactly the kind of guy he was Richard.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    48 is way too young. Thoughts and prayers for his family during this difficult time. 
  • Canugghead
    Options
    Another testimony of Shane's generosity ...
    At the 2012 Toronto eggfest each cook received a $50 gift voucher for a local butcher shop. Shane kindly mailed his to me, using the eggscuse that he seldom drove into the city! Thanks again my friend and RIP.
    canuckland