Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lump Charcoal

Options
Forgive me if this topic has been discussed but I am new here and have a question about the BGE Lump Charcoal. I know I am supposed to use large pieces on the bottom of the pile but the bags I have been buying don't have any large pieces. The whole bag has small to medium sizes along with quite a bit of rocks. Is anyone else having these issues? Are there other options besides using the BGE lump charcoal? Maybe it is the way my local retailer handles the bags or something happens during shipment but I am not finding any bags with large chunks. 

Comments

• xiphoid007
    Options
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm

Tons of info on lump here. Use the best that you have handy.

I just dump in the lump and never have issues. Frankly I think the layering just not necessary. It is probably helpful if you're doing an overnight cook and don't have a temp regulator like a Guru or something, but I never layer and have only ever had 1 fire go out.
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    Another vote for no layering. Just stir the old lump around a little, then clean out some of the ashes (optional) and dump in the new stuff.

Read the lump reviews that were given by the previous poster.  BGE lump is just Royal Oak, so don't waste your money on BGE lump.  Home Depot sells Royal Oak but most here prefer Rockwood which is available online from Firecraft at http://www.firecraft.com/

Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    Options
    Switch to Rockwood Lump. You will be pleased. Dump it in and use a Mapp torch to light and you are good to go.
    Milton, GA.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Use the rocks and throw out the rest.
    NOLA
  • SmokyBear
    Options
    I've been surprised at the amount of very small chunks in Rockwood (from Firecraft).  Basically equal to RO, which as we all know is equally hit and miss, depending on how much the bags have been manhandled in shipping.

FOGO is the only one with consistently "huge" chunks.  But it's pricey.

Man how I miss Ozark Oak.  That was the ONLY lump with consistently decent sized pieces.

(And, before anyone flames me about lump size - I HAVE found that if you put larger pieces at the bottom and then slightly smaller as you go up the pile, that you can get a lot quicker starting and hotter fire..)  It's a PITA to do "lump planning" but worth it IMHO.  It's all about airflow..
    Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)
  • Steve753
    Steve753 Posts: 140
    Options
    BGE Lump is made by Royal Oak. Royal Oak is really good lump, and it sells for a fraction of the price that BGE charges. You can get it at Home Depot or Walmart.
    Large Big Green Egg
    Weber Gold
    Old Smokey

San Diego, Ca