Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast Iron Pizza Pan

Options
So I got a new Lodge CI Pizza Pan. First time using it I guess I was thinking about what I usually use CI pans for and that's to sear, so I left the pan in the Egg while getting it up to temp. So after dropping the pizza on it, I had about 3 minutes before the crust started to burn and of course the toppings weren't cooked and cheese not melted. 

For those of you that have used CI for pizzas rather than pizza stones, what's the the best method? Put it in after getting it to cook temp with the pizza already on it?
Craig aka Cmac Cooks
Amesbury, MA
#BGETeamGreen #TeamArteflame #TeamBarrelProof
XL BGE, Mini-Max, La Caja China, Arteflame Classic 40, Arteflame One 20, Arteflame Euro 20, Cotton Gin Harvester, Weber Classic, Gozney Dome, Anova wifi Sous Vide.

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I put mine in my oven. Center rack position. When it gets to temp (IR thermo), I turn off the oven and turn on the top broiler. Then add the pizza. Done in no time (2-3 minutes). Top and bottom. 

This is with a 1/4" steel, not CI, but it should be similar. Haven't done a pie in the egg in well over two years. Can't see the point.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Forgot to mention, I don't top my pies heavily. No Pizza Hut meat lovers, or supreme. If you use a ton of stuff, it may not behave the same. 

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• victor1
    victor1 Posts: 225
    Options
    Did you use the plate setter?  I did a pizza this summer with a little brain fade and put the stone on the egg (grate) and burned the daylights out of it.  I would imagine that the CI direct and stone direct would give similar disastrous  results.  FWIW, prior to torching this one, I've done several with the pizza stone raised, indirect with perfect results.  Just a little reminder to pay better attention.  Learned this lesson.
  • cmac610
    cmac610 Posts: 153
    edited November 2015
    Options
    victor1 said:
    Did you use the plate setter?  I did a pizza this summer with a little brain fade and put the stone on the egg (grate) and burned the daylights out of it.  I would imagine that the CI direct and stone direct would give similar disastrous  results.  FWIW, prior to torching this one, I've done several with the pizza stone raised, indirect with perfect results.  Just a little reminder to pay better attention.  Learned this lesson.
    You know, I think I did do it direct to get max heat. Will throw in the plate setter in next time. Good point. 
    Craig aka Cmac Cooks
    Amesbury, MA
    XL BGE, Mini-Max, La Caja China, Arteflame Classic 40, Arteflame One 20, Arteflame Euro 20, Cotton Gin Harvester, Weber Classic, Gozney Dome, Anova wifi Sous Vide.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

You'll love the crust with the CI once you dial it in.  Hot is good, but not direct for pizzas.

You can use that piece for a lot of stuff, including one of my favs - smash burgers.  Probably my favorite piece of CI.

Welcome to the forum btw.

Phoenix 
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Just noticed your sig block. How do you like your La Caja China? Always wanted one, but I most assuredly don't "need" it.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• wbradking
    Options
    Here's a write up I did several months ago about a deep dish I did in cast iron:  http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1153741/ill-throw-my-hat-into-the-deep-dish-pizza-ring
    Franklin, TN
    Large BGE+PSWoo2
  • cmac610
    Options
    Just noticed your sig block. How do you like your La Caja China? Always wanted one, but I most assuredly don't "need" it.
    I love it. That being said, it's obviously not used a ton. Have done a whole hog for a party, did two turkeys for Thanksgiving last year and a crap load of ribs and pork butts. Everything has always come out fantastic and the crowds love it!
    Craig aka Cmac Cooks
    Amesbury, MA
  • cmac610
    Options

wbradking said:
    Here's a write up I did several months ago about a deep dish I did in cast iron:  http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1153741/ill-throw-my-hat-into-the-deep-dish-pizza-ring
    Thanks @wbradking I had actually seen your post when I did a search. Although I do prefer thin crust, I LOVED your pics. Looks like it came out fantastic! Thanks. 
    Craig aka Cmac Cooks
    Amesbury, MA
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    cmac610 said:
    I love it. That being said, it's obviously not used a ton. Have done a whole hog for a party, did two turkeys for Thanksgiving last year and a crap load of ribs and pork butts. Everything has always come out fantastic and the crowds love it!
    I'll bet they do! The only thing that might be a bigger crowd pleaser is an authentic luau where they cook with hot rocks and banana leaves in a hole in the sand. Or real pit cooked bbq. But with your toy, you can cook appetizers on top while the main course is cookin' below!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• cmac610
    Options
    cmac610 said:
    I'll bet they do! The only thing that might be a bigger crowd pleaser is an authentic luau where they cook with hot rocks and banana leaves in a hole in the sand. Or real pit cooked bbq. But with your toy, you can cook appetizers on top while the main course is cookin' below!
    That and my wife won't divorce me for digging a huge hole in the backyard!

Here's a few pics from my last cook on it:

Craig aka Cmac Cooks
    Amesbury, MA