Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best/favorite single malt

Options
My son's soon to be in-laws are coming for Turkey. He drinks single malts. I usually do blends like Johnny Walker (blue if you got it!). What single malt should I get?
Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes

Comments

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Bourbon man here. Get you some Woodford and introduce him to the good stuff.  Also, can you believe we lost to the Citadel?  I knew we were bad but not that bad. Damn!
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Options
    @4Runner big bourbon for me too!  Knob Creek. Citadel?  Sheesh. 
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
  • bweekes
    bweekes Posts: 725
    Options
    Simple question, but a broad one at that. There are so many different regions and flavour profiles - almost akin to wine. Overlay personal taste/preference, and it's next to impossible to make a "right" recommendation. My view is as follows: If they're in to smooth, relatively easy drinking, then go with a highland or lowland. If they like smokiness and peaty flavours, go with an islay. If somewhere in between, Campbeltown malts (though only a few) will hit the mark. Personally, I'm an islay guy, with Lagavulin, Laphroaig, and Ardbed being in tight rotation. When I'm not drinking islays, I'm in the Campbeltown region, sipping Springbank. Hope that helps, but there will be no shortage of opinions on this one!
    Ajax, ON Canada
    (XL BGE, MED BGE, La Caja China #2, and the wife's Napoleon gasser)
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    There is such a wide range of single malts, it is hard to  know another will prefer.  I am working on a bottle of Springbank right now which is light and smooth, but smoky.  Talisker, and Balvenie double wood are a couple of others that I like.  I also like Chivas and Johnny Walker Black, and I like the Gold better than the Blue.  As long as the future in-law isn't a snob, you should be fine.  If he is, it will be a long visit!
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    My son's soon to be in-laws are coming for Turkey. He drinks single malts. I usually do blends like Johnny Walker (blue if you got it!). What single malt should I get?
    I actually prefer the JW black to the blue. And a fraction of the cost. Dimple pinch is great blended scotch. 
     The Macallan is the standard bearer. I like highlands scotch the best, but not at all exclusively. Dalmore, glen morangie, talisker, balvenie, glen fiddich, oban, on and on and on. There are thousands. 
  • reh111
    reh111 Posts: 196
    Options
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I don't think there is a best of anything because it is subjective. 
    My favorite single malts are, Dahlwinie, The McCallan and Laphrogue. I don't think you could go wrong with The McCallan. 
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Damn hard football year (s) for us forshore. Might just need to buy one of everything and dive right in. That said, beat clempson!
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I'm a single malt myself, don't like anything blended as it muddles the flavors to me. The suggestions above are what I like too. Glenmorangie will be a good Speyside, MaCallan for Highland, and Lagavulin or Bowmore for Islay.

More impressive than picking a good one would be pronouncing the name correctly.  =)
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Options
    Thanks guys. Since pronouncing it right is important, I can say MaCallan!
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    What @bweekessaid.  I used to belong to a single malt club (a gift),  I received a different bottle each month.  All around 150.00 a bottle.  I came to love the Islay.  Unfortunately, I used to love Cutty Sark, now I can't stand the cheap stuff and can't afford the good stuff!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Have fun.  It is really a fantastic world to explore.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Glenmorangie Original is a great single malt to start with, and is a winner regardless of single malt experience.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • pgprescott
    Options
    I also think glenlivet is a good starter. +1 on the glen morangie. 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Oh yeah, Glenlivet is nice. And Macallan was one the first single malts I had that opened my palate to how smooth scotch can be.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Thanks, now I had to go and pour a glass of the only stuff I have... 
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Options
    I used to buy The Suntori Yamazaki 18yr old for around $92/bottle. Ever since they won the award for the best single malt, it more than doubled in price. This is an excellent smooth whiskey that is very enjoyable to single malt drinkers.

LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • pgprescott
    Options
    fljoemon said:
    I used to buy The Suntori Yamazaki 18yr old for around $92/bottle. Ever since they won the award for the best single malt, it more than doubled in price. This is an excellent smooth whiskey that is very enjoyable to single malt drinkers.

I heard about this a while back. Forgot all about it. Cool addition. 
  • kthacher
    kthacher Posts: 155
    Options
    Went to a Scotch tasting event a while back.  I was introduced to Highland Park.  I have tried pretty much all the brands in this thread.  My go-to Scotch is now Highland Park 18.  Simply awesome.  
    Winnipeg, Canada
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Aberfeldy 12 year old, best buy on the market for single malt snobs. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I'm partial to the Islay single malts. Lagavulin Distiller's Edition is sex in a bottle. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Options
    Thanks fellers.  I went with Glenmorangie original.  Hoo-boy!  Is that some smoooooth whisky!  I definitely want to try all your suggestions at some time in my life.  Happy Thanksgiving!
  • NJ_BBQ
    NJ_BBQ Posts: 137
    Options
    Balvenie 21 Port Wood is a favorite, but the price has tripled in the last 10yrs.
    Basking  Ridge, NJ - XL with KAB
  • Simcan
    Simcan Posts: 287
    Options
    My favorite is Laphroaig 10 year old.  You have to like the Islay scotches which tend to be saltier/peatier/smokier but for me it is unimprovable.
    Toronto ON
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,748
    Options
    macallan 18 (ive been priced out of this world the last few years but this was the choice scotch for alot of fishing trips out west) and laphroaig.  picking someone a single malt that likes single malts is a shot in the dark, i hate most single malts, maybe ask the wife.  never cared for scotch until i walked into an irish bar on opening day, first customer of the morning, they gave me a bottle of paddy irish whiskey to celebrate, not scotch but it opened the door and its priced properly ;) paddy taste more like scotch than what we consider wiskey, i would put a bottle out and see what he thinks
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
  • Simcan
    Simcan Posts: 287
    Options
    If you can get it, and aren't set on Scotch, you could try Crown Royal Northern Harvest.  It is a Canadian Rye and was recently rated the best whisky in the world by the Whisky Bible.
    Toronto ON
  • Chef_Hobo
    Options
    The Yamazaki 12 year nearly brought a tear to my eye.
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    MaCallan 15 year is one of my favorites.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I like this over the older. But that's just me. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.