Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

steak a poivre tonight was KICK BUTT!

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,895
I know -  I know this was not a BGE cooked meal, so shoot me! BUT if a 62 day dry aged rib eye, cooked to perfection "inside" using heavy cream plus Remy Martin cognac doesn't grab your attention then please move along! Here's the meat finishing up - and btw it was on the rare side as we love it!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• EggSmokeVa
    Options
    Congac + heavy cream.. Certainly a winner
    Large BGE
    36" BlackStone
    Backwoods G2 Party
    Yard full of other stuff to cook on

RVA -> Chesapeake Va
    Professional Drinker & Home Cook
  • RRP
    Options
    Congac + heavy cream.. Certainly a winner
    LOL - thanks! Now I have to figure out how to drain the kidneys, liver, whatever...but D*MN this meal was worth the "damage to the organs"  =)
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,054
    Options
    Yaaaaaassssir!!!  :flushed: 
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Looking good 
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Nice looking work Ron! I'm down for some dat! 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Awesome looking steak brother. Egged or not, that's more than worthy of posting. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    At 62 days dry aged that steak must of tasted great and as tender as butter.
  • RRP
    Options
    Tinyfish said:
    At 62 days dry aged that steak must of tasted great and as tender as butter.
    yes - it was fork cutting tender!
  • SGH
    Options
    @RRP
    What camp are you in when it comes to dry aging ribeyes? 45 days or longer? We all have different tastes and preferences, but to me they really seem to come on point right in the 45 day window. A penny for your thoughts my friend. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    If a penny is not enough, I will raise it to a nickel ;)

Status- Standing by.

• RRP
    Options
    SGH said:
    @RRP
    What camp are you in when it comes to dry aging ribeyes? 45 days or longer? We all have different tastes and preferences, but to me they really seem to come on point right in the 45 day window. A penny for your thoughts my friend. 
    I always go 45, however my last two were 60 and 62. I keep track of weight loss and there was no significant difference between 45 and the 60/62. I do believe the longer ones are more tender though. 
  • SGH
    Options
    RRP said:
     I do believe the longer ones are more tender though. 
    I concur 100%^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^. However I can not detect any difference in taste myself between 45 and 60 days. Thus I go with the shorter 45 days. Again, great looking grub above and do I owe you a penny or a nickel ;)

Status- Standing by.

• rmercier
    rmercier Posts: 212
    Options

@RRP
    Need that recipe
    LBGE in Northern VA
  • RRP
    Options
    rmercier said:

@RRP
    Need that recipe

STEAK au POIVRE

RRP’s adaptation to Alton Brown’s 2005 recipe on Food Network

Ingredients:

Sirloin or Ribeye

Kosher salt

Pepper corns & grinder

1 T of butter

1 tea EVOO

1/3 cup plus splash more Remy Martin cognac

½ cup heavy cream

Directions:

2 hours before mealtime remove the wrapped meat and place on the counter to come to room temperature…a rack will allow air to circulate.

Using a fork puncture meat thoroughly. Salt to taste and then grind fresh peppercorns so there are 30 grinds per side. Use back of spoon to press into the meat.

In medium skillet over medium heat melt butter and EVOO until they start to smoke. (#6 on our stove) and place meat in the pan and cook for 2 minutes and then flip for 1.5 more minutes. Quickly remove meat to a plate and tent it.

With skillet off the burner add the 1/3 cup cognac and carefully light it with a long match. Gently shake pan until the flames die. Return the pan to the burner on medium heat and add the cream. Bring the mixture to a boil and whisk until consistency makes it stick to the back of a spoon, which will take about 5 minutes. Add back a splash of cognac and return steaks to the pan.

Spoon the sauce over the meat and serve. Incidentally “Burgundy Mushrooms” is a delicious side dish!

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Wow RRP!, your steak looks GOURMET all the way!!!
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    That's money. Good work Sir. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    You've got my attention, very nice buddy. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Well my my my said the spider to the fly......not sure why that Stones lyric poped into my head but seemed appropriate for some reason. That looks outstanding. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Incredible meal. Thank you for info.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    I LOVE steak a poivre
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    Beautiful! Thanks for the recipe @RRP. Nothing wrong at all with steak done on the stove with heavy cream and cognac. Don't worry about organ damage. You had EVOO in there, right? Just sip on water with fresh lemon juice in it today and that will flush it all out of your system. At least, that's what I tell myself.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC