Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thanksgiving - what's for dessert?!?

Options
Curious  to hear what everyone's cooking on their egg for Thanksgiving dessert. Would like to do either something traditional or unique.

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Probably not on the egg, but there will be pecan pie, apple pie, and pumpkin pie.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    Not on the egg, but I've been fixing a kick butt pumpkin dessert for several years now and I'll never go back to pumpkin nor pecan pie! No need to beg me for the recipe but just me for it tomorrow - ok?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited November 2015
    Options
    DMW said:
    Probably not on the egg, but there will be pecan pie, apple pie, and pumpkin pie.
     @DMW.... first happy Thanksgiving to you and family........As I read the thre title, I immediately thought about baking a pecan pie on the egg. Never tried it, so when I saw your response......instantly wondered if you had past expierence with them, or was this simply a time conveience reason? The wif is not a big fan of cobbler with a smoak taste, but was thinking the woodiness to the nut might align with the challange. Your thoughts or expierence?
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • DMW
    Options
    DMW said:
     @DMW.... first happy Thanksgiving to you and family........As I read the thre title, I immediately thought about baking a pecan pie on the egg. Never tried it, so when I saw your response......instantly wondered if you had past expierence with them, or was this simply a time conveience reason? The wif is not a big fan of cobbler with a smoak taste, but was thinking the woodiness to the nut might align with the challange. Your thoughts or expierence?
    @northGAcock - I have baked pecan pies in the egg, and they turn out great. I was thinking both my eggs would be tied up with the turkey and ham, but now I'm planning to bake the pecan pie the day ahead anyway, so I just may end up doing it in the egg after all.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,475
    Options
    DMW said:
    DMW said:
    @northGAcock - I have baked pecan pies in the egg, and they turn out great. I was thinking both my eggs would be tied up with the turkey and ham, but now I'm planning to bake the pecan pie the day ahead anyway, so I just may end up doing it in the egg after all.
    Thanks!  Just like @northGAcock, as soon as I saw pecan pie the wheels started turning (I've always bought pre-made pie, will have to scare up a recipe and try it myself).

And I won't ask what kind of smoking wood you used.   =)

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Botch said:
    DMW said:
    DMW said:
    Thanks!  Just like @northGAcock, as soon as I saw pecan pie the wheels started turning (I've always bought pre-made pie, will have to scare up a recipe and try it myself).

And I won't ask what kind of smoking wood you used.   =)
    Botch....I am traveling at the moment....will be home later today. I can help you on a simple old southern recipie when I get home later today. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Sonny3
    Sonny3 Posts: 455
    Options
    I have been making 2-3 Pecan Pies for Thanksgiving from a recipe that I found about 15 years ago.   I had to start baking an extra and hiding it in the laundry room a number of years ago because there was never any left.

There are ground pecans in the crust, pecan pieces in the filling and pecan halves floated on top.  The additional ingredient of Brandy in the crust and filling is something else.  But it is the crust that really makes it.

I have had people that said they didn't care for pecan pie devour the thing.

If anyone wants the recipe, just let me know.
    Titusville, Fl. and just bought XL and Med BGE.  "Every Day is A Bonus" in my world, and my job is to choke the life out of them. Cancer Sucks.
  • DMW
    Options
    Sonny3 said:
    I have been making 2-3 Pecan Pies for Thanksgiving from a recipe that I found about 15 years ago.   I had to start baking an extra and hiding it in the laundry room a number of years ago because there was never any left.

There are ground pecans in the crust, pecan pieces in the filling and pecan halves floated on top.  The additional ingredient of Brandy in the crust and filling is something else.  But it is the crust that really makes it.

I have had people that said they didn't care for pecan pie devour the thing.

If anyone wants the recipe, just let me know.
    Thanks @Sonny3, this sounds really good, I think I'm going to use your recipe this year.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Sonny3
    Sonny3 Posts: 455
    Options
    @DMW , you won't regret it. And yes, it is really good.
    Titusville, Fl. and just bought XL and Med BGE.  "Every Day is A Bonus" in my world, and my job is to choke the life out of them. Cancer Sucks.
  • Botch
    Options
    Sonny3 said:
    The additional ingredient of Brandy in the crust and filling is something else.  But it is the crust that really makes it.
    Thanks much, Sonny!  
    Cook's Illustrated has started using vodka in their pie doughs, the alcohol doesn't form gluten in the flour the way water does (iirc); they use vodka as its otherwise mostly flavorless.  I bet the brandy really complements the pecan; then add smoke?!?   :)

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    The ONLY correct answer to this question is sweet potato pie.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • NC_Egghead
    Options
    My mil will be bringing a couple of chocolate pecan pies from Youngs Pecans in Florence, SC and they are pretty good. @Sonny3 your recipe sounds really good and I will be sure to save for another time. My go-to for Thanksgiving is Pumpkin Chiffon pie. It is THE BEST. My mother used to make 3, one just for me. Now I have taken over and make 2 every year. I'm sure she would approve. 
    Charlotte, NC

XL BGE, WSM, Weber Genesis 2, Weber Kettle
  • HolySmoke
    Options
    that sounds great - mind sharing the recipe?
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    These all look awesome. We will be trying apple pie.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    HolySmoke said:
    that sounds great - mind sharing the recipe?
    It's one passed down from my Nana in New Jersey.  I actually do not have the recipe, but my mother does.  I will see if I can get it.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Dawgtired
    Options
    Going to try something new. ... Pecan pie cheesecake. Guests are bringing Ritz Cracker Pies

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

• RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    Baklava here, MIL from Turkey.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Botch
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Dawgtired said:
    Going to try something new. ... Pecan pie cheesecake. Guests are bringing Ritz Cracker Pies
    Oooh, I wonder if that's the same thing as my ex-GF's "Georgia Cracker Pie".  Incredibly tasty, haven't made it in a couple years; thanks for the reminder!  

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    RRP said:
    Not on the egg, but I've been fixing a kick butt pumpkin dessert for several years now and I'll never go back to pumpkin nor pecan pie! No need to beg me for the recipe but just me for it tomorrow - ok?
    I tried this dessert last year and will definitely be repeating it this year. It's a winner. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    stemc33 said:
    RRP said:
    I tried this dessert last year and will definitely be repeating it this year. It's a winner. 
    Thanks! It's our favorite over pie. I'm making two of them this year!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Not egg'd but wife makes pecan praline cheesecake and mom makes chocolate pie and cherry pie.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Davec433
    Davec433 Posts: 463
    Options
    My MIL will be bring a Pumkin pie, Apple pie and maybe a Cheesecake.