Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Amount of Charcoal to Start With - I'm Confused

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I plan to cook a steak for dinner tonight and will start with fresh charcoal. I read one write-up that said fill the firebox about level with where the side holes are. That would only be about two inches of charcoal in my Large egg. It that enouch charcoal? At the egg fest, they would pour a whole sack of charcoal in, enough to take it half way up the fire ring. Of course, they were cooking all day and not just a steak. Anyway, how much charcoal should I use to only cook a steak? Help will be much appreciated.

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Chuck/Tx,
    Yes, the cookbook says up to the holes. Bad info. For a steak cook, I'd fill it up even with the top of the firebox. For overnight cooks, I fill it up half way up the fire ring.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    Options
    Chuck/Tx, I always fill mine up. What you don't use will be there for the next time. Just don't forget to shutter down when yer through.

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Chuck/Tx,
    For the most part you should always fill to at least the top of the firebox...after stirring down the ash...many will fill up into the firering for extended cooking...or as in your case, the higher you fill it, the closer the meat is to the coals....either way mine always gets filled to the top of the firebox.[p]Wess

• ted
    ted Posts: 51
    Options
    I always fill it up to the bottom/middle of the fire ring. That usually lasts me 2-3 cooks depending on what I am cooking.
  • Pick
    Pick Posts: 36
    Options
    Chuck/Tx,
    Remember when snubbing out fire use the green top not the the daisey wheel, it puts it out so much faster and saves alot of lump.

• Unknown
    Options
    Pick, will do, thanks. This is all new to me, so I appreciate all suggestions. I heard a lot at the egg fest, but some of it sunk in and some probably went right past me. After hearing it two or three times, maybe it will begin to sink in. LOL

• egginator
    egginator Posts: 569
    Options
    Chuck/Tx,[p]Same for me at my first (and only) eggfest (OK a month ago) -- Learned a lot, but probably already forgot a lot more. I guess the only solution is to go to more egg fests.[p]Ed
  • Sandbagger
    Sandbagger Posts: 977
    Options
    did you not attend my egging 101 class. I commented on several occassions, fill the egg to where you think it should be then add a couple more handfuls of lump. Generally, more is better than less. Maybe you were the dude sleeping in the front row, if so, WAKE UP. Just kidding, you have solid advice below. [p]Let's see some pics...:<) Tom

• BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    Pick,
    The recipe you posted on chicken rocks. Thanks, Tom

• Unknown
    Options
    Sandbagger, I did hear you say that, I wasn't asleep. But, I also read the BGE Manual which advised filling only to the holes, so I felt I needed to see if you were dreaming when you said that. Now I know you were right and the book was wrong. LOL Anyway, I cooked a steak for dinner this evening and it came out pretty darn good. Enjoyed your egging 101 class. Now if I could just remember at least half of what you said. Oh well, I'll keep askin and learnin. Good egging to you.

• Unknown
    Options
    Edintx, I plan to keep askin questions on this forum as long as they will endure me -- learn from that and experience. Gonna be fun.

• Unknown
    Options
    4509601184.jpg
    <p />Chuck/Tx,
    Sorry I haven't read all the posts below so this might be a repeat. I've found an easy way for me is to fill to fire ring, cook whatever I'm cooking, close vents to snuff out. Next time I cook, I rattle the coals a bit to settle the ashes and relight. I add more coals if need be. I wait till the ashes are really full below and clean out the whole thing. works for lotsa cooks and saves on lump costs too. Less work.[p]Aloha,[p]Greg