Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is this T-Rex or Caveman?

Options
500 Posts: 3,177
Or is it a "civilized" caveman style?  I have these ribeyes and was thinking of doing a hot grill of them with this setup (cook grid under fire ring)  Will it work?  Am I voiding the warranty by improperly setting it up this way?  Opinions appreciated. 
I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
Member since 2009

Comments

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Civilized caveman sounds good.  Did some ribeyes recently standard direct setup on top of fire ring.  No issues with getting closer to the fire if that is what you want to do.  I'd let it rip.  Although, I've never reviewed the specifics of the lifetime warranty.  If it were my egg, I could care less. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Have used that setup several times but to really enjoy, go straight to the lump for the true cave-man.  Either way will yield a great result-to get close to the true cave-man just load the lump right up to the cooking grate and you can ease your way there.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Go for it.  It'll work nicely.  Flip beef multiple times.  Good luck!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Don't use one of weber's plated grids down there. It doesn't like it at all. Plating gone, replaced by rust almost immediately.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Good catch @Carolina Q!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    What's the point?  The steaks will sear just fine on top of the ring. 
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I like the idea of getting right on the fire.  If your concerned about your setup why not just fill the lump up to the top of the fire ring and cook at OEM height.  Same difference. Either way I bet those steak are gonna be good.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Be careful of flare ups. I'd reverse sear if going that route. Having the steak directly on the lump limits the oxygen preventing flare ups. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Little Steven
    Options

I'm just new here so don't quote me but I believe:

Caveman= right on the coals till done

T-rex = Extremely hot on the grid, remove cool the egg down and finish in a low temp

Xer-t ( A term coined by....wait....Me)= low temp until ten or so degrees under desired, remove and then a fiery end sear 

Steve 

Caledon, ON

500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    I chickened out and went with a standard hot and fast. I did go hotter. 650. Hottest I've ever grilled a steak. Enjoyed it. 
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    I  have cooked both.  Don't think you can beat the reverse sear.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Maybe not appropriat on this thread but, I had me a great blacked ribeye tonight at the Cajun Queen in Charlotte. Not a bad way to prepare a ribeye as well. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I have become a fan of the TRex forward sear on steaks. Now that the mini (searing machine) is part of the equation I'll use 2 eggs and the roasting portion is generally puffing out some nice oak smoke.  If not the forward sear method I will go hot and fast on the mini.  

@500 - I'm sure you killed those steaks. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.