Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st time doing a brisket(flat)

Did a brisket(flat) yesterday.  Went low and slow with a flameboss at 250 pit temp until brisket hit 201degrees.  Took about 12-13 hours.  Stalled at 160 as normal(per searching info) for about 1 - 1 1/2 hrs.  Was reading about doing the texas crutch but read that i should try to for go that until i have the basics down.  I trimmed the fat and went fat side down.  Rubbed brisket all over with meat church holy cow.  When it finished it resembled more of a pastrami than a brisket.  It was still really tender and flavorful.  So at this point im just wondering if this is normal or if i went wrong somewhere? Or maybe is there a difference in appearance when finished between a flat and a point brisket?  Any advice would be great... thanks!

Comments

• logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Sorry, but no pics, it didn't happen.  If it was good and tender then success.  I'm sure the brisket expreets will be chiming in here, that's not me.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited November 2015
    Grader07 said:
     When it finished it resembled more of a pastrami than a brisket.  

Or maybe is there a difference in appearance when finished between a flat and a point brisket?  
    If I may, let me start out with a apology my friend. You posed a valid question over a hour ago and no has helped yet. That kind of looks bad on our part and thus, I apologize my friend. With that said, allow me to make a attemp with the limited information that I have in hand.
     When you say that it looked like pastrami, I'm assuming that it lacked color and depth. With that said, there are a couple of things that can distort or lessen bark. First is foiling if used to early. Second is foiling with a excessive amount of liquid. Third is over spritzing or spritzing to heavily before the bark has had time to properly set. Fourth is the lack of adequate rub. Fifth is the composition of the rub it's self. Sixth is foiling for to long of a time without unwrapping toward the end to allow time for the bark to reset. These are usually the biggest contributors. However there are a couple of smaller contributors as well. However you probably didn't encounter these if you were not cooking on a stick burner and as such they need not be mentioned here for the sake of brevity. If I read correctly above, you did not wrap. If this is the case then my hunch is it was your rub or lack thereof. As far as how a flat vs point vs packer will look in the end, their bark will be identical if all else is equal. You can easily lay down a bark 1/8 thick on just a flat. And this is finished bark, not the initial foundation. For clarity, without a pic of it I'm just running on a assumption. If you can post a pic, either myself or someone else should be able to diagnose your problem down to the last detail. I'm no Brisket God, but I have stayed in a few Holiday Inn Expresses in my time. And again, my apologies for the delayed response. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Grader07
    Grader07 Posts: 264
    Nope it didnt get wrapped in foil at all.  No spritzing either. In fact i never peeked at it during the cook.  It was hard not to but i didnt wanna mess with the flame boss controller with a sudden surge.  Instead of having the nice pink ring under the bark it was that pink color all the way thru.  It was put in fridge for almost 16 hrs with the rub on it before it went on egg.  When i had put the rub on and thought i had enough on i even put more on because i read that i should put more on than than you think you need(quote).  I have a few pieces left so i will get a pic of some to show you the color and bark when i get home in the morning from work.  Thanks for the replies
  • Grader07
    Attached are my pictures showing what i used and the outcome of the brisket
  • RRog17
    RRog17 Posts: 562
    Was that a corned beef brisket?
    Canton, GA
    LBGE, Joe Jr., 28” Blackstone
  • Grader07
    Wasnt suppose to be RRog17.  Unless they miss marked it.
  • Grader07
    Ok so i did another go of a brisket.  This turned out much more like it was suppose too.  @ SGH it mustve been the rub as you mentioned.  I used a brown sugar dry rub on this one and run same settings on the egg.