Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Do you use a drip pan for low & slow Pork & Brisket cooks?

Options
I've only used a drip pan a couple times.  I never saw a benefit, it was just one more thing to hassle with when loading/unloading the egg...

...I foil wrap my plate setter or AR stone before a cook. That way when the cook is over I don't have such a mess on my plate setter.

So, that has worked great for me.  On a 225-275 cook, it seems the temp is low enough that I don't get any flare-ups* or acrid smoke...it all looks good.  Meat is delicious.  Vapors coming out of the grill smell great for the entire cook.  :plus_one: 

*HOWEVER, when I open the egg at the end of the cook, or on the rare occasion when I have to open it during the cook, I'll get flames.  30-60 seconds after the egg has opened flames will ignite down below and thick black smoke will rise up with it.  It is quickly snuffed out when I close the egg but if I'm changing up the cook (like taking pork off and putting ribs or wings on) the flames are a nuisance.   Is that my fat burning that would have been easily captured in a pan?  And, if I catch them in a pan, won't the pan light on fire instead of the lump does in this scenario?

I know there are strong opinions on either side of this, so I'm curious why you do what you do!  :bring_it:
Thanks!
LBGE/Maryland

Comments

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Yes, but spaced off the PS so the drippings don't burn/scorch.  Platesetter is hotter than the dome thermo and grate thermo (if you're running that)
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    I use a drip pan with some kind of liquid (water, apple juice, beer, etc.) to collect the drippings so that they won't burn and ruin the cook~~
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    I use an air-gapped drip pan for every low&slow cook.  At the close of the cook there is quite a collection of rendered fat. 
    The fire show you describe is caused by the addition of fresh air to the grease soaked burning lump.  And the grease in the drip pan doesn't burn as it is not in contact with the fire source.  On occasion when I get grease drippings outside the pan and open the dome, I will get a fire show like you experience. 
    FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Simcan
    Simcan Posts: 287
    Options
    I don't have strong feelings but what I do is a foil pan with water for all my indirect cooks.  I don't find it a pain, certainly less so than wrapping the platesetter in foil.  Also, after the cook, whether it is chicken or butt or brisket, the gunk in the drip pan I end up throwing out convinces me it is worth it...otherwise all that junk would be on the platesetter or the coals.
    Toronto ON
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    I use an air-gapped drip pan for every low&slow cook.  At the close of the cook there is quite a collection of rendered fat. 
    The fire show you describe is caused by the addition of fresh air to the grease soaked burning lump.  And the grease in the drip pan doesn't burn as it is not in contact with the fire source.  On occasion when I get grease drippings outside the pan and open the dome, I will get a fire show like you experience. 
    FWIW-

Great info, I always use a drip pan with spacers
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    I use a drip pan lined with foil with an air gap between the platesetter and the drip pan.  It is easier to line the drip pan than the platesetter and prevents the grease fires. Cleanup is easy.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Whatever is above your fire creating the indirect shadow is hot.  Hotter than the boiling point of fat some times.  Any fat that falls on this if it's hot enough boils and you get an organic hydrocarbon vapor.  Open the lid, introduce oxygen, and that can burst into flame.

A second barrier, with an air gap, commonly called a drip pan will be a little bit cooler and that....aahh who am I kidding. We all know this.  I am often lazy and do not use them.  Sometimes I do. Seems like everyone likes the food I cook either way, so I don't worry about it....more about the cleanup.   But I'll eventually do a hot cook and let it self-clean.
    Options
    Because I use a heavy peach preserve rub, I do use a spaced drip pan. More about the cleanup than anything.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options
     I use a drip pan on all 'low and slows' and use the drippings to make gravy.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• 1WVU
    1WVU Posts: 160
    Options
    What do you guys use as a spacer so the pan isn't in contact with the plate setter?
    Roanoke, VA
    Large BGE Owner
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    1WVU said:
    What do you guys use as a spacer so the pan isn't in contact with the plate setter?
    My thermometer clip. It serves no other purpose. Also have 3 copper tees, somewhere....
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    1WVU said:
    I make spacers out of aluminum foil.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • 1WVU
    1WVU Posts: 160
    Options
    1WVU said:
    I make spacers out of aluminum foil.  
    Good idea.  Thanks!
    Roanoke, VA
    Large BGE Owner
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Any recommendations for a long low pan that would fit under a packer brisket?  I like something with low sides so it doesn't impact air flow.  AND, someday I'll do two packers at once.  It'll happen.  ;)

I believe folks have used untreated steel washers and nuts for spacers as well.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options

A second barrier, with an air gap, commonly called a drip pan will be a little bit cooler and that....aahh who am I kidding. We all know this.  I am often lazy and do not use them.  Sometimes I do. Seems like everyone likes the food I cook either way, so I don't worry about it....more about the cleanup.   But I'll eventually do a hot cook and let it self-clean.
    :lol: Appreciate your honesty nola!  I think that's where I've been as well.   "Well, food still tastes good...clean burn takes care of the mess.."
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    I always do, with some water in it to start.  50/50 prevention of fat burning smoke and capturing some of the mess before it floods into the Egg.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    1WVU said:
    @1WVU ... I use 1/2" thick kiln posts.  They're used in ceramic kilns, so no problems using them in our eggs.  They absolutely don't slide on the indirect stones and are resistant to sliding on the SS drip pans.  Much safer than the copper tubing fittings that I was using.

In the past I've purchased them from a ceramic supply store in Tucson, but I just found out today that CGS will be carrying them.  Tom said he planned on adding them to the website this weekend.  If you're ordering something do add some to your order.

I used to foil my plate setter.  Then one day I let the temp go up with the aluminum foil in place.  When I pulled the plate setter, all I found on the bottom side was wispy threads from the foil.  Right there I decided that I didn't want foil in the egg exposed to high temps ... pretty sure it isn't healthful in my food.  It's used to cover my protected drip pan and some other items up on the grill, but not on the plate setter.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Judy Mayberry
    Options
    All I can add from my experience over 13 years is that with low temperatures using the platesetter, without any covering over the platesetter you will end up with burned gunk all over the bottom.

I use a drip pan covered in foil and when finished the foil goes in the garbage and the drip pan is clean; or foil over the platesetter with the edges loose and curved upwards careful not to impede the airflow. That foil goes in the garbage too.

I never use spacers or water in the pan and at that low temp--even 350° for turbo cooking--I have never had scorching or acrid or anything when cooking low and slow. My platesetter is still pretty clean looking. And I don't have any reason to crank up the heat high enough to decimate the foil.
    Judy in San Diego
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I cover the drip pan and put in salt. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    1WVU said:
    I use sockets from a set that I lost the handle to.
    NOLA
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    1WVU said:
    My nuts!  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month