Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Salt...because I can

Options

Comments

• tfhanson
    tfhanson Posts: 219
    Options
    What are you using it for?
    Johns Creek, GA - LBGE and a some stuff
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    tfhanson said:
    What are you using it for?
    I'm making a smoky brine/injection for a sous vide brisket cook. I'll post the whole thing as it comes together. It's in the brine now for 48 hrs
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I'm making a smoky brine/injection for a sous vide brisket cook. 
    I'm real curious as to your thoughts on the SV brisket compared to a traditional brisket. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    SGH said:
    I'm making a smoky brine/injection for a sous vide brisket cook. 
    I'm real curious as to your thoughts on the SV brisket compared to a traditional brisket. 
    me too. I'm just doing it as an experiment but I have high hopes. It's a giant pain in the ass compared to just smoking one but I had to try it.

• EggObsessed
    Options
    When do you plan to SV the brisket?  I'm really interested in the results!  Give my best to Janell.
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    When do you plan to SV the brisket?  I'm really interested in the results!  Give my best to Janell.
    I'll pull it out of the brine tomorrow night then sous vide for 24 hrs. We will eat it saturday. Can't wait to share the results. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Corned?
    Corned?
    nope. It's traditional bbq flavors

• SGH
    Options
    I'll pull it out of the brine tomorrow night then sous vide for 24 hrs. We will eat it saturday. Can't wait to share the results. 

Nola did one in SV that I finished on Unit #1. I didn't get to taste it though. Wish I would have as most seemed to really like it. It got devoured quick. Real curious as to your results and final thoughts vs a traditional smoked brisket. Standing by my friend. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    SGH said:

Nola did one in SV that I finished on Unit #1. I didn't get to taste it though. Wish I would have as most seemed to really like it. It got devoured quick. Real curious as to your results and final thoughts vs a traditional smoked brisket. Standing by my friend. 
    Might be similar. We had discussed it briefly a few months ago but I never saw him post it so I thought I would try it. 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    You should really wait until Monday...
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Ok. Good call. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

Ok. Good call. 
    Not sure how good it will be but we can wash it down with many beers. Just pulled some beautiful Berkie bacon out of the cure as well. I'm sure we will
    make do. 
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    I also smoked some salt a few months ago.  And I learned a lot in the process. Larger salt crystals are better, as was mentioned above, because of the larger surface area.  That should give you a clue that the smoke goes 'on' the salt, not 'in' the salt.  That's right, the salt does not absorb the smoke.  

So what you are getting is nothing more than a coating of the oily residue from the smoke, which adheres to the salt's outside layers.  If you do not store the salt in a sealed container the residue will evaporate.  It can also be rubbed off.

It was suggested on one YouTube video that a Dollar Store grease splash guard be used to hold the salt while smoking.  The splash guard will allow the smoke to get all around the salt crystals.  Cooking trays and aluminum foil reduces the area receiving the smoke.

I still have some of my first and probably last batch.  I thought it might be good for margaritas.  I'm still waiting to try that.

Good luck with the smokey salt.  I think I'll stick with the other way.  

Meanwhile, I just smoked about a pound of almonds that I first soaked for 1½ hours in an equal parts salt, dark brown sugar and John Henry's Pecan Rub brine.  Then smoked on the Small Egg for 30 minutes @ 225° for thirty minutes, then bumped to 300° for 5 minutes.  Then tossed in a pan of melted butter, John Henry's Pecan Rub to coat the outside.  Then let them cool and dry on the counter for an hour.  Best smoked almonds yet.

Spring "Smoke 'em If You Got 'em" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• SGH
    Options
    Might be similar. We had discussed it briefly a few months ago but I never saw him post it so I thought I would try it. 
    How far are you taking the brisket in the SV? I guess what I'm trying to ask is are you taking it to a predetermined internal temp then pulling and completing on the smoker?  If so, what internal temp will it come out of the SV? 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    Larger salt crystals are better, as was mentioned above, because of the larger surface area

Im glad that you confirmed this to be true. When I gave the advice, I was repeating what I had heard my grandpaw say many, many years ago. I never tested it to see if he was correct. I felt that it was probably true, but thanks for confirming it. 

Status- Standing by.

• stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    edited November 2015
    Options
    SGH said:
    Brother Tex, I haven't fooled with making it much myself. But my grandfather use to make it on a real regular basis. I don't know if it's true or not, but he swore that the bigger the grains of salt, the better it would work. Pick up more smoke if you will. Again, I don't know for sure if it's true or not, but he swore to it. Just thought I would share. And great to see you on the forum again. 
    Thank you , Scottie. Makes sense with the larger pieces (more surface area and all). I used kosher so we will see how it turns out. It's browning up as I write this so hope it's good. I think the smoked water is actually going to be the ticket but I'll try both and check it out. 
    I think you may be looking at this wrong.  Smaller pieces would have more surface area per grain due to the larger internal mass that has no exposure.

Think of it this way.... instant tea used to be a byproduct that was thrown away, essentially dust that fell off conveyors and then swept away.  Someone realized that this dust has a much higher surface area which allowed them to use this dust to make instant tea unlike tea leafs which need to be steeped to pull the flavor out.

So, if true, I would believe the contributing factor is airflow/void space.

The larger grains would not pile as well and would allow for more smoke airflow to cover more of the grain surface than tightly packed small grains.  Similar to why people like to use the larger coals at the bottom of the firebox on a long smoke.

Just my worthless 2 cents.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    SGH said:
    How far are you taking the brisket in the SV? I guess what I'm trying to ask is are you taking it to a predetermined internal temp then pulling and completing on the smoker?  If so, what internal temp will it come out of the SV? 
    160 degrees for 24 hours. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Something tells me this would really kick it up a notch on herbal compound butter. I can see using this on a number of dishes actually. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SGH
    Options
    If memory serves (Nola and myself were both drunk) 160 was the internal of his when it went into the smoker. He may can correct this if I'm wrong. For the record, he was much drunker than me ;)

Status- Standing by.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    SGH said:
    If memory serves (Nola and myself were both drunk) 160 was the internal of his when it went into the smoker. He may can correct this if I'm wrong. For the record, he was much drunker than me ;)
    I can only imagine^^^**
  • SGH
    Options
    Still standing by for the SV results.  

Status- Standing by.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    SGH said:
    Still standing by for the SV results.  
    Going in the bath when I get home. It's out of the brine and in the fridge. 
  • SGH
    Options
    10 4 brother. Will be standing by. 

Status- Standing by.

• Little Steven
    Options
    Does it smell like curry?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Does it smell like curry?
    Egg #2 still has a hint after 2 years of steady use. So glad we dont let brown people with funny names come here any more  ;)   USA! USA! 

• Little Steven
    Options
    I was just tanned man!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I was just tanned man!
    Well, we all know the first wall trump builds should be up North but I was actually talking about your accomplice. He did all the cooking; you just told him what to do and drank beer. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,391
    Options
    Scott Walker mentioned the northern wall-and it did  him a world of good.  ;)

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I was just tanned man!
    Well, we all know the first wall trump builds should be up North but I was actually talking about your accomplice. He did all the cooking; you just told him what to do and drank beer. 

Correction; I drank henapple's beer heheheh

Steve 

Caledon, ON